DBS VII problem

lurcher

Newly Enlightened
I have a DBS VII WITH 3SD pill. It has started playing up. For intance when I turn it on it will go on for a couple of seconds and then switch off for no apparent reason. Somtimes it will not switch on. Also the ability to change levels with the clicky is variable as well. Sometimes I can do it other times I can't. Does not seem to a battery or connection issue? anyone got any ideas? I am running 18650 rechargeables in it. I have not used the torch very much. It is stock-standard, I have not yet tried to replace anything.

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
Seems like you have the problem as I did before too. Try to recharge the battery then put it back in.

About the clicky switch, yea it behaves erratically sometimes but it's fine most of the time.

lurcher

Newly Enlightened
OK so this is the sub 2.7V battery discharge protection kicking in? Anyone running the 3SM Cree XR-E R2 Pill in a V2 if so hows it working. Brighter/more throw than the old 3SD pill with a single 18650, or do you need to use the battery extension tube and run two 18650's to get the best out of it?[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
OK so ths is the sub 2.7V battery discharge protection kicking in? Anyone running the 3SM Cree XR-E R2 Pill in a V2 if so howsgle it working. Brighter /more throw than the old 3SD pill with a single 18650, or do you need to use the battery extension tube and run two 18650's to get the best out of it?[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Yea u're right. The voltage protection kicks in. U can only use the battery extension tube for the MC-E version not the R2 version.

Last edited:

morelightnow

Enlightened
I've had the same problem since i got mine. It's always the contact points on the body. It just happened to me tonight so I removed the head and cleaned where it contacts the reflector. Screwed it back on and stays on high perfectly. Charging the battery will only temporarily solve the issue. I think as the battery wears down, the electronics see a low voltage and shut the light off, not the battery itself. This is my guess because I'm not sure if this light is actually supposed to shut off for low battery.

lurcher

Newly Enlightened
well I recharged the battery and it seems to be going better. Has anyone tried a battery extension? if so how much did it increase throw?

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried a battery extension? if so how much did it increase throw?

Adding the extension does not increase throw as the same current reaches the LED (1.2 amps). It just increases the runtime.

Here are the the specs:

3SD: 3 light output levels (Low/Med/High) 18650 or 17670 battery only.

3SM: 3 light output levels as above, uses 2 x CR123 or 2 x RCR123. Can use 2 x 18650 or 4 x CR123 when optional extension tube is used). Will not work with a single 18650 or 17670. (Old version will, new version will not. Old version is labeled 3.0v to 9.0v, new version is labeled 4.6v to 12.0v)

3SD, 3SM and 1S = 1.2A emitter drive current.

Last edited: