tiablo a9

kenneth5

Newly Enlightened
hello everyone, ive had my a9 for quite some time now and i still love it. my question is... whats the differance between the a9 with the aspherical lense and the a10. does the light from the a9 with the aspherical lense project the light as a square shape? once again thank you guys for helping me feed my habit:)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello everyone, ive had my a9 for quite some time now and i still love it. my question is... whats the differance between the a9 with the aspherical lense and the a10. does the light from the a9 with the aspherical lense project the light as a square shape? once again thank you guys for helping me feed my habit:)

I have a KD Aspherical Mag kit and the A10. They throw just as far and seem equally as bright at distance or it might be the contrast that makes it appear this way. One thing for sure is that you will loose 25~40% of the lumens as tested by MrGman with my aspherical 1D Mag R2 custom job and other Aspherical R2 projects.

I also have a 1D Mag R2 custom made and it too throws as far as the A10 (not further, but the same), but I think it has a brighter hot spot at distance than the A10.

The aspheric Kit is only $30 delivered from Kaidomin.com, I say buy it try it and then you decide. It will look different for sure..

bigchelis

Last edited:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I've got one. It is pretty useless as a light with the aspherical head. There is no spill at all. And yes, the lens projects an exact shape of the LED.
I do like it though. It's kind of cool to pull it out and shine it down the block or at some trees a couple of hundred yard away, just don't expect it to be a useful light. If I had a choice between the A9 with both a regular head and the aspherical or an A10, I would pick the A10.

shahzh

Newly Enlightened
I have both the 1st Gen. A10 and the A9 converted to aspherical head. IMO the A10 is definitely a thrower with some useful spill. But if you want something different, the A9 will definitely beat the A10 for distance. To get the square led shape you need to focus by twisting the head. I'm definitely happy with the performance of both lights.....by the end of the day its what you're looking for in a flashlight that counts.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I've got one. It is pretty useless as a light with the aspherical head. There is no spill at all. And yes, the lens projects an exact shape of the LED.
I do like it though. It's kind of cool to pull it out and shine it down the block or at some trees a couple of hundred yard away, just don't expect it to be a useful light. If I had a choice between the A9 with both a regular head and the aspherical or an A10, I would pick the A10.

I guess one's impression of useful and another's is different. I've found it quite useful in spotting deer, coyote, and other random wildlife off in the distance.

lightforce2

Enlightened
I guess one's impression of useful and another's is different. I've found it quite useful in spotting deer, coyote, and other random wildlife off in the distance.

I too have found the aspheric A9 very useful. Mine's rifle mounted directly above the scope, it has a red emitter fitted and brightly illuminates the scope's field of view without any side spill which is totaly wasted light in this type of use

kenneth5

Newly Enlightened
i appreciate everyones response:) does it actually project a square. i asume you cant tell at a distance or can you?? im leaning towards getting another a9. but i think im a little against the square shape of the actual hotspot. i guess im just being picky:) if i just have the head screwed on all the way will the square be projected?

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
i appreciate everyones response:) does it actually project a square. i asume you cant tell at a distance or can you?? im leaning towards getting another a9. but i think im a little against the square shape of the actual hotspot. i guess im just being picky:) if i just have the head screwed on all the way will the square be projected?

To get the most throw it has to project a square, but at distance it is not as noticeable. I really like my aspherical lights and can honestly say they are my favorates and I have a Tiablo A10.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I love my A9 with the asperical head. It can be focussed way out which changes the square to a round spot which is quite useful. What is truly amazing is the distance this thing will project in such a small package. I really like mine alot.

Mike

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention. MrGman tested my Aspherical creations.lol...

My 1D Maglight lost about 20% of the lumens with aspheric vs. reflector.

My Surefire M6 w/ 5 R2's lost about 40% of the lumens with aspherics.

Bottom line you will loose 20~40% of the lumens out the sides of the aspheric lens and it is up to you to decide if the extra throw at the expense of usefull lumens is worth it.

I think so.:D

Painful Chafe

Enlightened

True. It would be a great light for that. And believe me when I say I love it, I just don't have any real uses for such a light except to watch the neighbors say "Holy Crap" when I bring them outside at 10 pm. I think no matter if you do or don't have a reason to get the asperical, you should get it just to try it out. Its worth a look see.

kenneth5

Newly Enlightened
i said holy crap when i first turned it on. how much of a differance can it be with the aspherical lense?? anyone have beamshots to compare?? thanks

Last edited: