Design for a compact, CR123A based LED light

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am designing a family of CR123 based compact LED flashlights. Here is a rendition of the first two members of the family.

a_59v.jpg

The light in the middle is a 6P for size comparison. The upper one takes 2x CR123A (or a single 18650) and is 106mm. (4.17in.) long - about the same length as an E1B. The one on the bottom is for 3x CR123A (or 2x 17500, 18500) and is 138mm. (5.43in.) long - or about 1/8in. longer than a 6P and 1.07in. shorter than an equivalent 9P.

Head diameter of both lights is 1.06in. (27mm.) compared to 1.25in. for the 6P/9P. Body diameter is 25mm., same as the 6P/9P - it could be made to be as small as 23mm. but I would like to maintain compatibility with weapon mounts/rings.

It will feature an adjustable beam/spot ranging from 100 degrees down to about 6 degrees by sliding the head forward. Multi-mode operation (minimum of High/Mid/Low) is a design requirement. Comments welcome.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
umm.. im 1st to reply? weird.. hah..

very nice indeed.

ability to fit into gun mounts a plus (but make sure the remote switches from other makers fit the threads too if you are not making one too)

the zoom feature is a rare treat. there just aint enough of them available in my mind. it alone makes these probably worthy of edc carry as well.

but are you sure your zoom feature wont move due recoil and also still is easy and smooth to operate? (maybe somekind of lockout feature in it when using in guns?) you know ability to lock into flood or beam depending the distances weapon is for. (inside the house shotgun and handguns need the flood but the farmer taking out the critters with his rifle at 50yards needs the beam)

the very potruding button im not so sure about. it seems just too "out there" to be convinient. and somehow makes me think it would be also very easy to "accidentaly" break it by a sideways scrape. umm..like doing some fancy tactical moves and the rear of the light and the button snags into wall or floor and then it would twists&breaks. maybe its not as bulging as it seems in the picture ..the green color distracts me :)

(also i do like the button to be semi sunken or protected by metal like in tk11. just my own preference.)

JBorneu

Enlightened
I would love it if these lights had a bombproof switch with momentary / could take the bombproof surefire Z41 tailcap switch. I don't trust clicky switches anymore since I had some troubles with the switches of my lights. Yes, you can replace a clicky when it starts to act funny, but it's a weak link in a light IMO.

I like the concept, especially the focussing function. If you can make these lights Surefire 6P parts & accessories compatible (excluding bezels & dropins off course) I will buy one. If not, but they have a very good switch, I just might buy one anyway.

That is something I really dislike about Malkoff's line of flashlights. He has the sturdiest, most bombproof, uber-reliable dropins on the market, but his bodies use the same weak clicky switches every other manufacturer uses (and I realise he upgraded to better switches, but still, it's only a matter of time before they wear out, just like all clicky switches).

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a specific niche that these are designed to fit? The button might be overly exposed causing accidental activations in a holster and the sliding mechanism for adjustable focus doesn't sound very solid... The body is nice and simple, but without a clip, storing it in a pants pocket would most likely activate the switch as mentioned before. Great start on the design though but there are so so many variations of the flashlight you'd need something a little more innovative I think to be competitive. Keep the hamster wheel spinning!