HP VS. Lumens

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
After MAWison said
Btw, what is the conversion for lumens to Hp?

I though it would be funny to think up this notion of comparing Lumens to HP, after all in my head I always though of Lumens to be similar to HP and even power to weight ratios as though "none flashaholic" were 1960's communist Russian farmers.

HP / L: 18 plenty fast to get around town in a old CV2 and like a Minimag will get things done most people need:whistle:.

64 HP/ L: like the original cooper S in a small package it's a fun little car with plenty of pep, more then most people are used to "Surefire P6".

225 HP / L: makes for an extremely fast Lamborghini 350GT, that would wow any rural farmer, high powered Q5 /R2 LED lights such as Fenixs, Nitecore, Eagletac, and the likes.

650-850 HP / L: Exotic super cars like the Koenigsegg CC, Twin Turbo Saleen S7, Murcielago LP 670-4 SV, etc, which are nearly incomprehensible for the average Joe, just like how these lights are brighter then most thought flashlight could even be. These would be P7, MCE, ROPs, Mag 85s and such.

1,500-3,000 HP / L: Purpose built drag cars with mind bending speed that the average person needs to be trained to drive, Example multi P7 / MCE LED lights, low power HIDs that are jaw dropping bright to the point that they produce day time.

4,000-8,500 HP / L: Full on Dragsters which will black out unprepared drivers and clime to speeds at unimaginable rates, they are even revered by fellow gear heads "CPFers". Such lights are high power HIDs such as the Barn Burner and Mac hotwires.

12,000-20,000 H.P. / L…….Um well that's like a ship's, engine's power stuffed into a pick up truck or big rig it would be unreliably over powered and would need great precautions to keep the driver from dieing and the vehicle from not destroying it's self. Such lights are 140+ watt HIDs, Super 400 watt hotwires, and landing lights which destroys darkness like a nuclear bomb:eek:oo:!

22,000-35,000+ HP / L:devil:: Well there are no vehicles "except huge ships" you could make at this point in time on earth but they would be comparable to warp driven cars that could move entire mountains and pull 30+ Gs in acceleration, Like The 400 Watt HID, Data bank 70, and 1000 watt landing lights which makes 35 watt HIDs look like candles and can set fire to the earth it self:faint:!

Anyone else think of any comparisons, like a long running bright regulated light would be comparable to a fine tuned German automobile capable of cruising at 120 miles per hour on the autobahn all day long:thumbsup:.

Or a hotwired ROP bulb powered by cr123s in a $2 plastic host would be like strapping a 454 under the hood of a Russian Lada:p:poof:!

Or a 6D Maglite being like a Ford F450 super duty truck, not to fast but extremely strong and long running, though it's an American car so lets be honest…definitely an Incan:rolleyes:;)!

Last edited:

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
Yet, regardless of HP, they all travel at 299,792,458 meters per second.

For your query on an analogous finely tuned german auto, I'd have to say a single cell q5/r2 would fit the bill, whereas your Lamborghini would be a multi-cell q5/r2.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
This actually might not be impossible.

1 HP = 745.7 Watts, how many lumens can we generate with that much power? :devil:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's also interesting to compare the two as measurements. Both are used to sell product, but both can be measured in different ways. Anybody have a list of car manufacturers that list horsepower at the wheel?

The distribution of the measurement is also something to take into account. 500 lumens focused into a 6" spot at 10 feet makes for a very specialized light. Same with a car that can make 600 horsepower but only between 0 and 2000 rpm.

It's a fun comparison.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently the jet engine on the Thrust SSC (the car that holds the land speed record) equates to about 110,000 horsepower, so there are cars in existence that have that much.
I believe BVH's carbon arc searchlight is about equal to a Saturn V rocket.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently the jet engine on the Thrust SSC (the car that holds the land speed record) equates to about 110,000 horsepower, so there are cars in existence that have that much.
I believe BVH's carbon arc searchlight is about equal to a Saturn V rocket.

Nice, very nice! Just like walking your dog with a WWII spot light would be like flying your kids to school on a rocket ship, equally just as over kill:crackup:!

1 HP = 745.7 Watts, how many lumens can we generate with that much power? :devil:

Well my 1000 watt Can light would be about 1.4 HP and make about 27,000 Lumens, though I wouldn't mind buying a 300 HP car an only get to use 75 of those horse power if the other 225 HP went for illuminating the road with 4,530,127.5 Lumens:devil::devil::caution:!!! And that's using Incan efficiency:faint:!!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would rather go the other way, and have a 225 horsepower car and 75 HP worth of headlights. The Toyota Prius's gas engine apparently makes about 76 HP, which I really don't think is enough. My car has a little over 300 horsepower, which is fun, but really more than is necessary. I really don't need more than 225, and I would gladly sacrifice some in order to light up the road 3 miles ahead of me! :devil:

Of course, I don't think they make anything currently that could turn that many KW of electricity into usable light, at least not without lighting lots of stuff on fire.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
That remark was intended to be facetious.
All 5 of the Saturn V's first stage rockets produced around 7.5 million lbs of thrust, or around 180 million horsepower, which is several orders of magnitude larger than BVH's light's 525,000 Lumens (or "horsepower").
I would imagine the engine in a fighter jet like the F35 would probably be equivalent to something like 525,000 horsepower (or more).

Come on though, which is cooler:
An F35, or a SATURN V ROCKET!?!!!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Toyota Prius's gas engine apparently makes about 76 HP, which I really don't think is enough.

The Prius's engine doesn't power the wheels, the motor-generator does. That motor-generator has a peak output of 50kW, or 67 HP. But that's more than it sounds like, because the power band of the motor-generator starts at zero rpm.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I assume a Solitaire would be like a Big Wheel? I've always compared led vs. incan the same as tuners vs musclecars.