P91 vs Tigerlight lumens

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I have never been able to find a lumen rating on a Tigerlight. A P91 is suppose to put out ~200 lumens, what is a Tigerlight?

I saw a photo in here somewhere that compared the two, it "appeared" like the Tigerlight was brighter, but maybe it just looked that way because the Tigerlight has better throw with the smooth reflector.

Anybody have any actual numbers [or know for sure which is brighter between P91 and Tigerlight]?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
From side by side comparisons I made, my Tigerlight, at the very least, equals the output of that of my M6's LOLA; MN20 at 250 lumens...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
When I compared Mr Bulk's Space Needle II to nine incandescents in a metered test my aim was to judge overall output, rather than spot brightness. The P91 and Tigerlight were included in the test. Here's an excerpt:

Brightnorm

.....The second indoor test series compared the total output of these lights and was performed in two stages. The first utilized the Meterman LM631 light meter. The second relied on subjective impressions obtained through several methods.

Metered comparisons of "total output"

These tests do not measure beam "brightness"

To repeat: no attempt is made here to measure beam "brightness" per se, as major reviewers have developed sophisticated techniques for this purpose. These tests aim to determine a light's total output by measuring INDIRECT brightness only, achieved by shining each light at a precise point on the ceiling from a specific position on a table. These results should proportionately correlate very roughly with rated lumens, and suggest a lumen rating for unrated lights. Please note that these tests are for comparative rankings only and are not definitive measurements of light energy. Thus, numerical values should be considered as abstract units only.

INDOOR TEST #2 (METERED) "TOTAL LIGHT OUTPUT"

D3/P91: 27.9
Tigerlight: 26.9
Space N. II: 24.6
Ultra Stngr: 23.2
MagChrger: 22.7
D3/SRTH/N2: 22.2
Pelican M6: 19
TACM III: 18.3
PolyStinger: 18.2
Stinger HP: 18.2

There is some question as to whether the P91's wide beam spill was reflected more powerfully into the Lux meter's sensor, perhaps by adjacent walls, than the TigerLight's. The identical results for the PolyStinger and Stinger HP help to validate the testing procedure, since despite having different beams, the two lights have identical wattage and output....

Here is the original review

SN II FACES DOWN INCANDESCENT WOLF PACK

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, meters and eyes don't always agree. Not only is my Tigerlight obviously and significantly brighter than a P91, it is brighter than an MN60 (225 lumens), and even seems a bit brighter than an MN61 (350 lumens). Candlepower-wise, the Tigerlight is much brighter than all of the above, but it appears to my eyes as if it throws more overall light as well (admittedly, sometimes hard to judge since the beam patterns are so different).

Joe

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a surefire 9P with P91 and didn't see much increased brightness. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough yet in judging light output. The tigerlight that I have seems to put out a lot more light. It dominates everything I own except my 3 mil candlepower twin beam Vector.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
Well, meters and eyes don't always agree. Not only is my Tigerlight obviously and significantly brighter than a P91, it is brighter than an MN60 (225 lumens), and even seems a bit brighter than an MN61 (350 lumens). Candlepower-wise, the Tigerlight is much brighter than all of the above, but it appears to my eyes as if it throws more overall light as well (admittedly, sometimes hard to judge since the beam patterns are so different).

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe,

I was curious to see how my metered test compared with my "eyeball" test in that review, so this excerpt followed directly after the metered review.

Subjective tests for total output

These evolved out of a curiosity to see how closely "eyeball" tests correlated with instrumented tests. Methodology combined several techniques including an eyes-closed "substitution" test, an eyes-open reflection test and other attempts to measure the total amount of light projected within a room. Each of the incandescent lights were compared in turn with the SpaceNeedle II.

This list shows the subjective impression of relative brightness grouped by those lights which seemed brighter than the Space Needle and those which seemed "dimmer".

Brighter (appearing) light is in bold type

SN II D3/P91
SN II Tigerlight
SN II Magcharger

SN II UltraStinger
SN II TACM III
SN II Stinger HP
SN II D3+SRTH+N2
SN II Pelican M6
SN II Polystinger

The subjective list matches the instrumented list except for the MagCharger which measured lower than the Space Needle.

There's no question that the Tigerlight is much brighter than the P91. In fact the TACM III, ASP Taclite and Pelican M6 will all cut right through the P91's beam even though their total output is much lower. NTL, the P91 convinced both me and the meter that its total output (ie lumens) was slightly greater than the Tigerlight's. The difference is small, only about 3% according to the meter.

I should mention that in my testing I metered all the rechargeables fully recharged, and with completely fresh, virgin batteries in the other lights. That P91 is so hungry that it dims noticeably after a very short burn. At that point it outputs noticeably less light than the Tigerlight which keeps burning brightly for many minutes.

Brightnorm

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Yesterday I installed the UCL lens and Textured LA for Tigerlight that I got from Chris at flashlightlens.

Installed on the Tigerlight it makes the beam look much more like the output of a Surefire [I highly recommend this if you do not like the artifacts associated with the smooth LA].

I compared my Z3 [P91] and the new TL assembly. TL hotspot was smaller and brighter than Z3. The TL corona was slightly brighter too. But given the larger hotspot of the Z3, I would be hard pressed to says which had the greater total output. The beams are just very different.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, the best feature of the TL is the great throw from a small package. Maybe one of these days, I'll grab a textured LA from Chris, but AFAIC, the TL has its greatest feature in its smooth reflector and its throw...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
IMHO, the best feature of the TL is the great throw from a small package. Maybe one of these days, I'll grab a textured LA from Chris, but AFAIC, the TL has its greatest feature in its smooth reflector and its throw...

[/ QUOTE ]

And its excellent (for a small bright package) runtime.

Brightnorm

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
And its excellent (for a small bright package) runtime.

Yep! Maybe a mod to increase the mah of the NiMH pack (switch to higher capacity NiMhs) can be made...

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I have own all the above mentioned Surefire flashlights and 3 Tigerlights. The Tigerlight blows away every Surefire under the M6 10X and M4. It is a close call with the M4. But the Tigerlight seems to throw further. All the Surefires have smoother beams though.

This is all from preceived brightness with the naked eye in real-life use.
John