What do you use your light for?

Catman10

Enlightened
It's become apparent to me that I now have 7 very good quality flashlights. My problem is, I'm not sure why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I mean I reall don't have that much use for them. I occasionally use them to go for runs and walks with and to see what my cats are getting into at night, but other than that I don't really have anything to use them for. So my question is what do you use your lights for the most? What are some of the most common, as well as novel uses that you have. If I find some good answers, perhaps I can justify getting another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
catman10 said:
It's become apparent to me that I now have 7 very good quality flashlights. My problem is, I'm not sure why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I mean I reall don't have that much use for them. I occasionally use them to go for runs and walks with and to see what my cats are getting into at night, but other than that I don't really have anything to use them for. So my question is what do you use your lights for the most? What are some of the most common, as well as novel uses that you have. If I find some good answers, perhaps I can justify getting another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang. You sound like most of us. Like me, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Dan

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hmmm, tough question... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Let's see..
Current use:
McLux: close-up work
Infinity: nightlight
AAA LE: general EDC
Arc LS: general EDC
Lambda Illuminator: "walk the dog" light
PAL Light: travel/strange bedroom light
1.000.000 CP spotlight: "what's going on there? " light
Various "fun" lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Of course almost everything will end up in the display case when suitable replacements are acquired... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets just say, I really don't use the lights around my apartment anymore... And when my roommate gets home at night, the whole living room's usually pitch black with me either sitting at my desk in my room or out in the dining area with my laptop just workin' in the dark. Then, if I need to go anywhere, I just pop out the nearest light I've got. Heck, even the Arc AAA and CMG Ultra are excellent lights when showering...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Walkin' at night or camping is a different story. Then I'll bring out the big guns...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I mostly just play with my lights, comparing one to another for brightness and beam etc.

My EDC light gets used more than any in my job as a pressure washer repairman.

And I have lights all over the house for "what if?"

But use them? Not really. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mrd 74

Enlightened
I like the floodlight effect of my Madmax for night walks and have my Photon 2 clipped to my belt loop as a momentary light so I don't step on the dog when he sleeps in the hall.Arc AAA in my watch pocket for "serious" small light work and my Palite sits on my bedside nite table.The Turtlelite is kept on the shelf just inside the back door to check the yard at night but I need the new Inova 1 for an indoor light with throw.All are used regularly so I can justify having each one.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my usage is around the house at night. I keep most of the house lights off so that I need to carry some sort of flashlight to see my way around. I know that sounds really stupid -- and only now do I realize how stupid it is -- but that's actually what I do.

Of course there are those important tasks when I watch TV in bed. I have to have a few lights with me to check things out. You know, to see if my clothes are still hanging straight in my closet, and to shine on my blanket to be sure my toes are still there. Important stuff like that.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened
Paul W said
"Most of my usage is around the house at night. I keep most of the house lights off so that I need to carry some sort of flashlight to see my way around. I know that sounds really stupid -- and only now do I realize how stupid it is -- but that's actually what I do."
Paul you are killing me man!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif The sad thing is, I catch myself doing the same thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most of the time my clothes are still just like they were when the lights were on. hehehe. We are a sick, sick bunch. On another sad note, there are still some lights I think I need!!! I hope the sun goes down soon................ dtsoll

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I was never in the scouts, but from an early age I've always embraced the slogan "Always prepared". The primary purpose of most of my lights is for use during an emergency.

I carry an Arc AAA on my keychain so I always have some illumination available at any time needed (and it replaced a very old and beat-up Solitare light).

3D Mag with an Epieon LED replacement bulb is the household emergency/light-up-the-whole-yard flashlight I keep in a kitchen drawer.

2AA MiniMag with Opalec Newbeam module is kept with my tools, I use this a lot to light up the dark shadows on what I may be repairing.

Brinkman Rebel 2AA light is on my nightstand with the red filter on. I use it at night for finding my way to the bathroom or kitchen sink without blinding my dark-adapted eyes. If I need more bright light, I just pull off the filter.

Nightstar II shake-style light is kept in my Jeep for true emergencies when I can't use my handheld spotlight plugged into a ciagarette lighter jack. I just don't trust batteries inside lights carried full time in an auto anymore.

Arc LSH-S carried almost all the time in my pocket. I've only had this for a month but I'm using it more and more. Since the battery life is the least of all my lights, I still see a need for the others to be around for use if the 123A dies in the middle of the job. Put a minature nuclear power source on it and I would get rid of most of my other lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm the same way and can't justify buying beyond the bare minimum.

- E2e EDC
- G2 with nightstand pistol
- E1e/KL1 on computer desk for house and close up

my next purchase will probably be a streamlight tactical 9v for the truck. moreso to check out this new light. if it's not that much brighter than my E2e i can't see keeping it.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
BF -- love your avatar. That's what I feel like when a 123 dies on me, especially when I'm showing someone how bright one of my lights is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
After I finish my reviews, I usually use flashlights by having most of the other lights in the place off. I don't take a shower or shave by the light of flashlights, but sometimes I sit on the toliet and read the paper with them if I have the right kind with me.
I also keep them by the bed, so I can just reach for one if I need to use the can or raid the fridge at night without kicking chair legs, couches, bottles, or wheelchair tires; or stepping on squeaky pet tails or upturned LED leads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Every once in awhile, I'll grab something really bright and just shoot it across the room for no good reason at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Just because it's there, I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
...Every once in awhile, I'll grab something really bright and just shoot it across the room for no good reason at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

i do that too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Catman10

Enlightened
Darell,
If you're saying what I think you're saying that's pretty funny (OK and maybe a little odd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) Here's hoping you have an M6 rather than an E2e in there.

paulr

Flashaholic
Arc AAA: EDC keychain carry, I always have it

UKE 2L: Semi-EDC for when I want something brighter

Minimag 2AA: next to the bed for late night bathroom runs, powered by NiMH for low operating costs. Actually just upgraded to a BB400-equipped model but didn't really need to.

Generic plastic 2D: car glove compartment

All other lights: I could make up reasons for each one, but basically I have them just cause they're cool.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
actually no...he uses them to help find his hemorrhoids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif