Mini Mag LED hardcore n00b question

feuer594

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I've spent about an hour searching the archives for the answer to this. Everything I've got discusses what happens after the point I'm at, but oddly enough, I'm fine once I get past this point.

What I need to know is, how to I remove the puck from the case so that I can change the LED? I need a red light for work, and I thought I was being slick by buying the MagLED to mod instead of a regular MM, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the puck out. I don't want to risk just stuffing it out of the bottom and breaking it.

Is that how I go about doing this, or is there something simpler that I've overlooked? Once I get it out though, I'll be fine with the swap.... lol

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The MinimagLED?

The MinimagLED 2AA has a boost circuit but with those batteries the Red LED will need a buck circuit. I'd suggest returning the MinimagLED ,if that is what you have, and get a normal minimag with this red LED drop-in.

:welcome:

dexter49

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I've spent about an hour searching the archives for the answer to this. Everything I've got discusses what happens after the point I'm at, but oddly enough, I'm fine once I get past this point.

What I need to know is, how to I remove the puck from the case so that I can change the LED? I need a red light for work, and I thought I was being slick by buying the MagLED to mod instead of a regular MM, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the puck out. I don't want to risk just stuffing it out of the bottom and breaking it.

Is that how I go about doing this, or is there something simpler that I've overlooked? Once I get it out though, I'll be fine with the swap.... lol

Haven't tried removing the new Rebel LED, but if this is the non-Rebel 3W MagLED, unscrew the head, look at the LED and see that it is surrounded by a black plastic piece that has two small slots in it. Looking into the slots you can see bright metal. Insert a small flat blade screwdriver into a slot and carefully push on the metal, alternating between each slot. The LED and pill will be pushed down and out the rear end of the light. After it moves about 1/16 inch it will just fall out the rest of the way.

The metal you see through the slot is the outside surface of the pill.

feuer594

Newly Enlightened
The MinimagLED?

The MinimagLED 2AA has a boost circuit but with those batteries the Red LED will need a buck circuit. I'd suggest returning the MinimagLED ,if that is what you have, and get a normal minimag with this red LED drop-in.

:welcome:

Thanks for the welcome! That drop in was my original attempt awhile back, but after just over a month of waiting, they sent me an email saying that they no longer carried the red drop-ins.

Haven't tried removing the new Rebel LED, but if this is the non-Rebel 3W MagLED, unscrew the head, look at the LED and see that it is surrounded by a black plastic piece that has two small slots in it. Looking into the slots you can see bright metal. Insert a small flat blade screwdriver into a slot and carefully push on the metal, alternating between each slot. The LED and pill will be pushed down and out the rear end of the light. After it moves about 1/16 inch it will just fall out the rest of the way.

The metal you see through the slot is the outside surface of the pill.

Thank you much!