BlackHawk Gladius Problems/Issues

Mr. Mister

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys/Gals,

I have been having some issues with my stock Gladius. I love this light and it is my primary light while on-duty. I have carried this light for nearly three years now with no problems but lately it has been turning on by itself. It is in the lock-out position and somehow the light is on. This has happened on numerous occassions.

At first, I thought that I had accidentally turned it on and then somehow brushed up against the light putting it back into the lock-out position. (I carry it in the "Mod-U-Lok" holder with bezel down) I wanted to see if I was causing the light to turn on or not, so I turned the light off and put it in the lock-out position. I then put the light in a drawer. After one week, I checked on it and, what do you know, the fresh batteries that I put in were completely dead.

My partner and one of our cohort also carry this light in the same fashion. They have also reported the same issues with the light. I would say that maybe we got a bad deal and all bought lights from the same batch with bad QC. But we all bought our lights years apart. Like I said, I have owned mine nearly 3 years. Cohort has owned his 4 years and my partner bought his about 6 months ago.

I can no longer carry this light due to this issue. It has to work when I need it to work. I don't have the leisure of changing out batteries. And worst yet, what if it gives away my position in a high-risk situation.

Sorry guys for the drawn out explaination... getting to the question now. Is there anyone out there who owns or knows someone who owns a Gladius with this problem? Or is this an isolated incident and the 3 of us just got the short stick. Also, any ideas on what could be causing this issues is greatly appreciated. So... freaking fustrated. Please... enlighten me.

Mr. Mister

dougie

Enlightened
I've got two Gladius flashlights and only had an issue with one. Both of my Gladius lights are from the original run and in black ceramic finish. Some of the early models suffered from unreliable switches and had issues with battery drain. Following a minor re-design new switches were issued FOC to existing owners. I haven't heard of many problems since then and your problem doesn't appear to be widespread.

I've found out to my own cost that the Gladius tail cap can be accidentally turned on from lock-out by being carried bezel down in the Mod-U-Lok holster. I've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions and eventually found that I could avoid it happening by carrying the light bezel up.

Since I don't work in law enforcement (i'm a paramedic) my needs are not as important as yours. In addition I now carry a Malkoff M60L in a G2z which more than meets my requirements for reliability and output. Before you give up on the light completely may I suggest that you try to find a friend who hasn't had any issues with his Gladius light and use the tail cap from that to test on your light. I also suggest that you try out the Gladius bezel up in the Mod-U-Lok as it is just as easy to access and can't be accidentally turned on.

I Hope you resolve the issue, as while the Gladius isn't particularly bright by todays standards it still has (IMHO) one of the best UI's available.

Doug

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any magnets in the Mod-U-Lok? Strong magnets can turn on the Gladius switch regardless of the position of the channel selector.

Mr. Mister

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Dougie for the tip. I had not heard anything about unreliable switches til now. I think I will contact BH and see we they can do. Also, I agree with you that the Gladius does have one of the best UI's that is why I really love this light.

Mr. Mister

Newly Enlightened
Update on this issue:

I contacted BH and explained the issue that I was having with the Gladius. They had me send in the Gladius to have the problem addressed. Two weeks later, I receive a package from them, inside was my light and a letter. The letter stated, for lack of better words right now, that I was poop-outta-luck. They were unable to find anything wrong with the light and returned it to me with a new owner's manual (I still have my original one and it is still in the original clear plastic bag that it came in... anally-retentive? No, I just like to keep things neat), new lanyard (very useful, I still have this too. Although it is starting to show wear and tear) and new "BH" battteries (not too sure if this one counts because I sent the light in with fresh DuraCells).

I am disappointed that they were unable to find anything that would/could cause this issue. And, I am sadden by the fact that I will be forced to retire this light. I can not, under good faith, rely on this light anymore. The Gladius will go into the kitchen drawer with the many other "it's a good light but only for blackouts" light.

Over all, truthfully, it kinda sucked... I mean what the eff? How does a light of this caliber take a dump. No, no... correction, take half a dump. The light still works just not how you want it to work. That being said, I do appreciate the support team at BH. They were very professional and helpful, even though the ultimate question could not be answered. With that, I say good day my friend. I trully hope that I will not run into you ever again.

My local SureFire dealer will probably be smiling and thinking to himself "I knew you'd come crawling back" when I tell him a need a new primary light. SureFire does have some pretty cool lights in their '09 catalog. :)

M&M

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Bummer. I really hate those no-fault-found returns. Although they were "unable to find anything wrong with the light" it still isn't right and demonstrably so - all they've got to to is bung some batteries in it and wait a few days, right ? :shrug:

Real shame because the Gladius is still one of the best lights around. It certainly should NOT drain batteries in a week - I've had a set in mine for months without any problems.

Any way that you can try and get hold of a replacement tailcap ?

Mr. Mister

Newly Enlightened
Bummer. I really hate those no-fault-found returns. Although they were "unable to find anything wrong with the light" it still isn't right and demonstrably so - all they've got to to is bung some batteries in it and wait a few days, right ? :shrug:

Real shame because the Gladius is still one of the best lights around. It certainly should NOT drain batteries in a week - I've had a set in mine for months without any problems.

Any way that you can try and get hold of a replacement tailcap ?

Probably not... I highly doubt BH would sell just the tailcap.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm fuzzy on the details, but I recall a few large boxes of Gladius parts selling a year or so ago. I don't recall the buyer, if it was here in the Marketplace or on eBay, or if the tail caps (there were a lot) included the electronics. Might be worth looking into, though.

Edit: Here's the thread. Maybe it was just bodies, though I remember seeing finger grips in the pictures.

Last edited: