Drinking the Zebralight koolaid

yowzer

Enlightened
I ordered an H50 recently to try using it as a camp light on backpacking trips. It arrived the other day. I'm going to put it through its paces on a trip this weekend, but after playing with it in dark rooms, I'm finally getting what all the fuss is about.

It's not going to replace my Mammut TXlite for night time hikes (Not that I thought it would), but for things like cooking or setting up a tent in the dark, it promises to be amazing.

I can't believe how small this thing is. I've seen pictures of it next to lights I already had, but the size difference didn't sink in until I had it in my hands.

I went with the 50 instead of the 501 because I thought the wider beam would be better for the sort of area illumination I want to use it for.

Now I'm wanting a clickie 120 degree version to stick on my SAR radio chestpack as a map light... but I'll have to settle for a 501. :whistle:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Now that you've had a taste of the kool-aid, you should try the H-60. 190 lumens of flood is very yummy!

kwieto

Newly Enlightened
I'm really not sure what I'd do with that much output in anything but a thrower.

It plays the role of throw... in some way ;")
Anyway, thrower with half of the H60 output will reach far more distant area.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I'm really not sure what I'd do with that much output in anything but a thrower.

I forgot to mention that at its lowest setting of 0.5 lumens, I can read in bed without bothering my wife for 2 hours a night for 312 days before charging the battery. :tired:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Zeeb can be dressed up for color output just by slipping a piece of plastic under the shroud. I'm always trying different caps and such, too.

DSC04347.jpg

DSC04348.jpg

Geoff

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The Zebralight is the best camp light going. Comfort and the flood beam works very well. Also so UL I can pack it with headlamps that have more throw and not worry about adding too much bulk to the pack. Kinda nice to have a backup headlamp too.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I am supposed to be drinking the koolaid.. but my cup is still empty.. :(

Ordered it about 2 weeks ago, was supposed to arrive last Friday.. so its a week overdue.... :(

Oh well, it was raining this weekend, camping is no fun in the rain, hopefully its here by next weekend ;)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Green KoolAid, but never mind that.

The main reason I got the H60 was runtime, and rechargeable. For applications when it's not on your head, the extra output of the H60 tends to be more useful. When I was doign some car stuff I found the extra output also to be very useful.

The great thing is it has several levels so you can take advantage of runtime provided by the 18650.

True the AA can also provide rechargeable usage, I now like Ni-MH LSD batteries for many applications, but prior to LSD they were not for me. Li-Ion 18650 is my favorite rechargeable.

Mike V

Enlightened
I forgot to mention that at its lowest setting of 0.5 lumens, I can read in bed without bothering my wife for 2 hours a night for 312 days before charging the battery. :tired:

But won't the battery loose it's charge way before that?

I mean you could with a Eneloop or a primary etc., but not with a Lithium Ion battery?

wapkil

Enlightened

But won't the battery loose it's charge way before that?

I mean you could with a Eneloop or a primary etc., but not with a Lithium Ion battery?

Isn't self-discharge rate of LiIons even lower than for LSD NiMHs?

yowzer

Enlightened
H50 worked every bit as well as expected camping. One person said "That's a really small light on your head.", and, when I turned it on high, "Wow." :) I wouldn't mind a lower low, though, for reading in my tent at night.

Got a chance to try out my chest light idea Sunday night during a search. Having the area light without blinding anyone I looked at was really nice.

radio.jpg

On the H60: I'm trying to standardize on AA and AAA batteries since most of my non-flashlight electronics work with them: Remotes, radios, avalanche beacon, etc. I know it limits my options a bit flashlight wise, but having fewer battery types to worry about just makes life simpler.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't self-discharge rate of LiIons even lower than for LSD NiMHs?

Yes. They are about as close to zero self discharge as any rechargable I am aware of can be. They hold charge better than some primaries I have had.

turbodog

Flashaholic
zebralight.....

those dudes ship from china via airmail

eta is 2-3 weeks

light will be outdated before it arrives