Highlights in Tampa Bay USA?

kland1234

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, going to be in Tampa Bay for a couple days on business, and need some great things to do. First on the list is good beach to go to for sun, fun, swimming etc? What is the best "locals" beach"? Also, what are some great local restaurants in the area around harbour Island, not interested in chain restaurants.

thanks much!

beach honda

Enlightened
gimme a call brother...i'll point you in the right direction. PM me for number

just for quick notes, ANY of the gulf beaches are good including Clearwater beach for lots of people and good eats (Frenchys!!!)

We also have a great selection of cuban\puerto rican\columbian food that you should check out! Dont leave tampa without eating a cuban sandwich!

kland1234

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replies guys, yes I am looking for gulf side beaches, the best withing driving distance. "siesta keys" beach comes up on google as being a good sunning and play beach, what is it like?
thks

kz1000s1

Enlightened
My wife and I just spent a few days on the beach at Fort DeSoto state park. Great white sand beaches. Watch the parasurfers on the east end of the island. Bike trails, plenty of parking, not too crowded on a weekday.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second Ft. Desoto beach, there is a navy fort on site that was used during the Spanish-American War and WW2. Check out the fort, the beach, the trails and follow up with a nice meal in downtown St. Pete.

o0o

Enlightened
I love Florida, especially the Tampa Bay Area (including St. Pete).

Next time you go back, definitely check out the restaurants in the Tampa International Airport area (great restaurants within the 5 mile radius of the airport).

This part of Florida, in my opinion, seems to get milder weather than interior Florida, perhaps due to the gulf breezes. For instance, 3 visits ago when the heat index was listed at 108 -- 90 degrees with high dew points), it didn't really feel that bad because there was a cooling breeze. We walked about a mile, and although one could tell it was humid, it didn't fry me from the inside out like Orlando did.

kland1234

Newly Enlightened
WOW, Tampa bay and Clearwater were great places! Beachhonda turned my wife and I onto some great locals spots, in Tampa & Clearwater. We got our fill of local Cuban Sandwiches & Grouper Sandwiches on the beach at Rockaway Grill! Maybe did not see much sun while we were there, but certainly got some great eats. And what a host Beachhonda is! :rock: Had a great time with him while in town and looking forward to the next time we get together! Even shared a few lights over a drink. Thanks man! will be in touch!
kb