Anyone else anxious for the LX2?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am. I've been bugging my favorite e-tailer(s) to make sure they let me know when they will be available so I can snatch one up. With the specs listed the high should be just about the same as the E2DL - around 180 - 200 lumens, perfect considering its using and optic so it will be a throw monster on high. I think it will compliment my E1L perfectly. Can't wait to get my grubby paws on it....

Hyperborea

Newly Enlightened
Nope. After the great SF betrayal of 2008 I dont expect anything from Surefire. If they release a light, well nice, maybe I'll consider it, but I definitely wont sit around and wait for it.

prime77

Enlightened
The LX2 was the one light of 2009 that I really want. I'll wait for it. The new L4 is holding me over for now. I have faith in SF this time around.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time hearing of them. What is it comparable too? specs?:thinking:

The LX1 will replace the L1. It will be a shorter version of the L1 with a 2-way clip (bezel up or bezel down) and a higher high (80 lumens), low is the same 10 lumens. 2-stage UI is the same as the L1, as is the TIR optic.

The LX2 replaces the L2. Same UI as the L1 & L2. Also has a 2-way clip and TIR optic. High is 120 lumens and low is 15 lumens. Length is suppose to be about the same as the E2L & E2DL. High is expected to be the same as the E2DL (Surefire states it's 120 lumens but independent tests put it between 160 and 210 lumens).

You can see a pic of the LX2 here: LX2

I'm looking forward to the LX2 as well. Don't know if I will get one though.

Last edited:

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking forward to it, I dig my L2 and am eager to get me hands on the LX2. Let's hope mid June is a solid release date.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
I just traded for the current L1, and its a great light. I figured it might be a long time before I see an LX1 :shrug:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on the fence. It seems like the latest generation of the L1/KX1/KX2/KX2C/E1L/E2L/E2DL are the same creature. Sure the outputs vary and the switching is different but the beam profile is the same. If they are using the same TIR geometry the only thing that will be really different is the appearance.

My "old" L2 is still one of my most useful lights.

kelmo

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm on the fence. It seems like the latest generation of the L1/KX1/KX2/KX2C/E1L/E2L/E2DL are the same creature. Sure the outputs vary and the switching is different but the beam profile is the same. If they are using the same TIR geometry the only thing that will be really different is the appearance.

My "old" L2 is still one of my most useful lights.

kelmo
Whilst the beam profile may be the same, my opinion is that the user interface is so significantly different - two-stage push button pressure switch vs dual output clickie - that LX1/LX2 concepts are still completely different creatures to the likes of the E1B/E2DL etc.

One option for SureFire could be to use the same reflector and LED combination as their new L4...
Personally I prefer the TIR optic beam even thought the reflector'd beams tend to look better; the TIR optic beams seem to be more useful.

Al

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always liked the UI of the L1. I've owned a couple of them in the past, my favorite version was the Gen 3, with the 1.1/22 lumen output and the previous optic. I miss that one. I just wish we'd get a firm release date!

Illum

Flashaholic
Not too thrilled with the design of the LX series...nor the newA2L....in fact the only thing thats on the new catalog I'll be looking into with the possibly of buying would probably be the M3L head [for my M6] and the V2L

I have no idea why Surefire considered SSCs...until they found a stash of warm whites theres going to be that typical blue hue from it. going with CREE will alleviate some of that...sure a complete rebuild of the reflector/optics would have to go to replace the luxeon type emission pattern but judging from the KX2 heads I don't think thats a barrier they can't cross:candle:

I'm looking for a red L1 btw

greenLED

Flashaholic
Personally I prefer the TIR optic beam even thought the reflector'd beams tend to look better; the TIR optic beams seem to be more useful.
After all these years, and I'm still on the fence about TIR optics... I guess I got spoiled by using reflectors.

The cutoff between the hotspot and the corona from TIR's is still too sharp for my taste. Indoors is not much of an issue, but outdoors it can be.

I'm interested in the LX2. I never liked the L2 because of the heat associated with the emitter, but now... :naughty:

I mean, it's basically an L1 with more runtime and the size of an e2-series. What's there not to like?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to it.

It doesn't take a genius to make a light with a tube, stupid big reflector and a driver board requiring a zillion clicks to cycle through to make a "tactical assault extreme premium XYZWR R2 super extremez!!!" light. It takes R&D to make a light with a simple 2 stage UI, decent throw with useful side spill, and still fit in you pocket.

After all these years of using LED ligths the new SF TIRs are some good stuff.

What do I know, I'm a newbie here ;)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not.

Due to the epic failure in releasing those catalogue lights in the last year (Optimus, etc...), I prefer to wait for the REAL release to think about it...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anxious? No.
Will I be interested in what voltage each head (LX1 and LX2) will accept and how I will use them? Yes.
Will they be better than the modded KX1 I have now? Probably not, since it is a ~200L Cree Q3 3A SOB1000 that can run on 3-16V (3-5V at less output). The LX2 head will probably be a single level KX2c that uses an L1/L2-like driver so it doesn't give the low-battery warning strobe of the KX lights when running through a resistor. I can put my SOB1000 KX1 on a modded L1 body already...
Will it be a very cool light for those that don't already have a similar mod set-up? YES.
Will you have to wait? Yes.
How long? Who knows! Use what you got until then! ...geez.

Will I eventually get an LX1 body to make a shorter leggo L1? He** Yeah!
1st gen L1 head, LX1 body-tail for a sub-4" rocket with a K2 TFFC direct drive off IMR16340 at 2Amps high (300L!), 100mA low (higher resistor modded tail) through an 8° optic ... Here I come!