Laptop? Is this a good deal/computer?

seaside

Enlightened
Thanks, however not a big fan of the Dell customer service based in India....

Don't worry. Another indian will greet you when you call for HP customer service. Actually I am not sure if she were indian or not, but her accent definitely is quite strange.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My advice is to not buy electronics from a bargain store (the one exception being bargains straight from the manufacturer).

At the very least, buy from a place like Best Buy. Newegg is a good online source.

Never buy a computer from Wal-Mart! The computers at Wal-Mart are made cheaper for Wal-Mart, and I've seen both Dell and HP deny even making the models sold at Wal-Mart.

I very much doubt you'll find a company that doesn't outsource their tech support. If you want local tech support, buy from Best Buy. Warranty coverage on computers bought at best buy is carried out by Geek Squad.

gorn

Enlightened
To answer your question, yes that is a good deal for that computer. They went for about $1,200 new. The graphics card can handle any game that you would like to play if you decided to and the processor is top notch. I had one and gave it to my Wife when I upgraded to an Asus gamer laptop. As for buying it from Costco, that is a smart move. They will handle any problem machines rather than having to deal with computer company tech script reading fools.

737mech

Enlightened
To answer your question, yes that is a good deal for that computer. They went for about $1,200 new. The graphics card can handle any game that you would like to play if you decided to and the processor is top notch. I had one and gave it to my Wife when I upgraded to an Asus gamer laptop. As for buying it from Costco, that is a smart move. They will handle any problem machines rather than having to deal with computer company tech script reading fools.
Thanks, thats kinda what I wanted to hear. I know that there are probably better laptops out there but was just wondering if THIS one was a good deal and a good computer. I don't plan on gaming so it sounds like this will have more than enough horse power for my needs. Plus Costco has the best customer support!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I've dealt with HP's consumer customer support it's been a nightmare. And yes, they were Indian. With Dell at least I've usually been able to get the point across.

gorn

Enlightened
FWIW Dell ProSupport is US-based and has smart, helpful techies. You get what you pay for.

That is kinda true, I have spoken with Dell support that was in Texas, but most of my calls to Dell support for laptops that died well before their times ended up in India. The "smart" Dell support from the U.S., and India both work off of scripts. So i'm not sure how smart they really are. Try to get them to listen to you in a way that doesn't match their script if you want to get really frustrated. Dell once had great support. Those days are long gone. I've had bad luck with Dell laptops and won't be buying another from them anytime soon.

matt0

Enlightened
FWIW, I have a Dell laptop and the HDD recently stopped working. I found a link to some Dell Online Chat where I was able to talk to a Rep. He asked me to boot into diagnostic mode and a few other things to make sure it was in fact the HDD that had died. There was a new one (hard drive) on my doorstep two days later and I just sent the old one back today.

It took like 10-15min chatting online. Never had any other experience with Dell or any other brands customer service though.

YMMV