M2XC4 (COOLWHITE) VS. DBS V3 3SD R2 (WITH PICS)

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
So I just received my light this afternoon and decided to try it out. Man, this light blew my DBS V3 away. I'm totally impressed with the light output and throw. To me, I only spend money on the lights that can light up objects clearly 200 yards and above away. :naughty::naughty:

My setup for the night:

setup.jpg

Here are the beamshots at 241 yards or 723 feet or 220 m.

Target is the corner of the white fence.
Camera : Lumix Panasonic DMC-FZ8
Iso: 400

Distance

distance-1.jpg

Control Shot

CONTROL.jpg

DBS V3 3SD R2 (WH)

DBS.jpg

M2XC4 (Cool White)

M2X.jpg

Some initial thoughts:
I'm pretty sure M2XC4 is absolutely a replacement for my DBS V3 from now on when I'm walking around in the park at night ( sounds pretty creepy huh :naughty: but hey it's fun). This light is indeed one hand operationable. While others complain that the light is easily switching between turbo and strobe , I myself found that it's not a problem at all. After practing rotating it for a while u would know where to stop at each level. In my case, after playing with it for TWO minutes, I've never ever accidentally hit strobe when I'm switching to turbo from the the lower levels.

Also, some others complains that the difference between turbo and high is not noticable. I think this is not true because there is a very distinct visual difference between turbo and high. As you can see from the pics, M2XC4 illumminates the corner of the white fence and the area surrounding it due to its bigger hot spot. I think they call it MONSTER light for a reason :D .

Some thoughts after "playing" with it the whole night:

After being impressed with the power of this light, I started to look at the fit and finish. I do notice that in one of the three reflectors, there is one reflector that has a small dent spot half way down the reflector and another dent spot near the top. It looks like the aluminium reflector is punctured by something. They're small but really noticable :sigh::sigh::sigh:. The diameter of the dent spots is about the size of the 1.0 mm ballpen head. I understand that this does not affect the performance of the light but when you spent over 140 dollars, you expect it to be free from such flaw. I've been convincing myself to get over with it but I could not , really cannot and will never be able to. That dent spots just bug me all the time:mad::shakehead:crazy::banghead::banghead:. Comparing to other lights that I have (Fenix, Dereelight ) , this is the first time that I saw such reflector dents on my new light.
I just contacted 4SEVENS for a replacement. I hope they would replace it .

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure looks like M2XC4 beat DBS by a good margin in terms of throw and spill.
Hmm... you have M30 or A10-G by any chance? :D

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
What he said ^^^

I don't think it beat the DBS when looking at the white "L" in the hotspot. They appear to have the same brightness. The M2X certainly has a larger hotspot, but it doesn't appear any more intense.....

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I posted about this elsewhere when I compared my two Deerelights (MC-E and R2) to my M2XC4.

In short, the M2XC4 on the highest setting is roughly equivalent to having both the R2 and the MC-E Deerelights turned on to their highest settings at the same time. Yes, the Deerelight R2 does punch its tiny hotspot a bit further and the Deerelight MC-E has a somewhat smoother flood pattern, but this comparison is still just about right.

This light is definitely a keeper and I have been debating if I should go ahead and sell the two Deerelights since I now have one light that essentially replaces both of them at once. :D

Last edited:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
What he said ^^^

I don't think it beat the DBS when looking at the white "L" in the hotspot. They appear to have the same brightness. The M2X certainly has a larger hotspot, but it doesn't appear any more intense.....

It kind of looks to me that the "L" shaped thingy is more brightly lit up with the Eagletac. They are close on my monitor, with the Eagletac 30% brighter approx. I am looking at just the "L" shaped thing, not the size of the hot spot. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, or my computer monitor isn't accurately showing the brightness of the two due to a different tint of the lights or something like that.
Are others seeing it like Ryamrpm?

I'm not being argumentative, just curious.
Thanks

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ther M2X looks brighter in the hotspot to me too. To me it looks like it clearly beats the DBS even at throw. The eye could possibly see different.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
It kind of looks to me that the "L" shaped thingy is more brightly lit up with the Eagletac. They are close on my monitor, with the Eagletac 30% brighter approx. I am looking at just the "L" shaped thing, not the size of the hot spot. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, or my computer monitor isn't accurately showing the brightness of the two due to a different tint of the lights or something like that.
Are others seeing it like Ryamrpm?

I'm not being argumentative, just curious.
Thanks

I did a print screen of each picture, and only cropped out the 'L'.

DBS/M2X:
f_DBSm_db72315.gif
f_M2Xm_36f7382.gif

Perhaps the M2X is slightly brighter? Sheesh, it's hard to tell..... The beam intensity being picked up by the air may play into it too....:shrug:

They sure are close.....

Wattnot

Enlightened
If the target is that crane or hut or whatever that is in the distance, there appears to be the same amount of light in IT. Of course it's obvious the M2CX4's hotspot is larger and spill definitely brighter, but like someone mentioned, these two might not be comparable.

1dash1

Enlightened

I'd call the throw even. While the white target looks like it might be a hint brighter, I'd attribute that to the general "screening" effect (like your car's high beam in a fog) that the huge spill is creating.

For example, take a look at the backdrop sky lighting. I don't think that the town really got any brighter, it's just that the spill masks everything brighter. (Like turning down the contrast on your TV or computer monitor, everything gets fuzzy-brighter.)

But then again, maybe the M2X is really lighting up the entire sky!!! :devil:

Last edited:

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
I think this is kinda subjective. TO MY EYES and in real life, yes, the M2XC4 is way better in identifying the target at that distance. The DBS is kinda hard to help you identify the target even though maybe it has a more intense hot spot. Do a compartion test and judge with your own eyes if have both . :naughty::naughty::naughty: