Real newbie, so many questions.

pk81

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, a few days ago I was looking up flashlights on google and stumbled on this forum, I really like this place so far but Im having so much trouble trying to wrap my head around the mountain of information, its really mind boggling that there are so many people who are into flashlights :huh:

I decided im going to buy a Fenix PD20 and what I really like to do with this flashlight is upgrade it in any way, replace stock parts with better parts for example, will I be able to do that with this flashlight ? Another question is with the LED itself, I was searching ebay for LEDS and came across some that are 900 lumens +, would it be possible to switch the led on the PD20 with this one ? If not would I be able to switch LED's at all ?

I know it sounds silly but I really dont know where to start so Im kind of testing out the water here.

sn0wBLiND

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, a few days ago I was looking up flashlights on google and stumbled on this forum, I really like this place so far but Im having so much trouble trying to wrap my head around the mountain of information, its really mind boggling that there are so many people who are into flashlights :huh:

I decided im going to buy a Fenix PD20 and what I really like to do with this flashlight is upgrade it in any way, replace stock parts with better parts for example, will I be able to do that with this flashlight ? Another question is with the LED itself, I was searching ebay for LEDS and came across some that are 900 lumens +, would it be possible to switch the led on the PD20 with this one ? If not would I be able to switch LED's at all ?

I know it sounds silly but I really dont know where to start so Im kind of testing out the water here.

My advice is to read and learn before ordering anything, this will save you from lots of mistakes I've done. :laughing:
CPF is a great source of knowledge, see what other modders have done for this particular flashlight. I would not recommend that you put a SSC P7 in a flashlight so small. The P7 generates a lot of heat and I don't think a single RCR123 battery can handle that load without going :poof:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Read, read, and read some more. I'd suggest starting with the Welcome Mat, Carrot's guide, and the Wiki.

The Fenix PD20 is not an easy light to mod. It's already a great light so I don't see too much reason for modifying it. Those 900+ lumen LED lights are usually 400-600 lumen out the front and can be had for cheaper then what the eBay sellers sell them for. Check Dealextreme and such (good place for budget lights, make sure to read the revlews though). The LEDs themselves also rarely get to 900 lumen, even before optical losses. They also require a lot more power to run, something that the PD20's driver and the battery used can't provide. Imagine taking 4 of the LEDs used in the PD20 (Cree XR-E, Q5 flux bin) and putting them in a single package, that would be a Cree MC-E, one of the higher lumen LEDs that you no doubt have seen. 4 Seoul P4s in one package will be those "900" lumen LED lights (persuming D bin).

:welcome:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all :welcome:. Second you got off on the wrong foot, while modding is a huge part of the hobby, its not the main thing here. You need to do a lot of reading has suggested. Has you know the options are huge, so again lots of reading. Flashlights this days are incredibly bright right of the box and may not need modding. Just grab a light that you like, enjoy it , and if you don't like it , sell it and grab the next. Or if you wallet is fat enough grab a couple. How much are you looking to spend?? Lets start of there...:naughty:

pk81

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, Im willing to spend up to $100 dollars, but I want something small with a lot of power, something in the size of a PD20, is that the brightest led flashlight for its size ?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with cuso. Have some fun with the numerous stock lights available. Discover your preferences for beam pattern, brightness, ergonomics, switch type, form factor etc. If you are new to high tech lights you may be pleasanlty surprised with what's available and once you have gotten the feel for things you will be better able to figure out what kind of modding you want to do.