How can a Novatac 120 be brighter than a Polarion HID?

Zdenka

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I have a theoretical question here. Lets assume you can increase the LED lumen count of a Novatac 120P without limits. How many Lumens would it take to light up a deer 1/2 Mile away, with the SAME INTENSITY of a Polarian 40W - 4200 Lumen, HID?

I'm assuming since the Novatac has a much smaller reflector, that even if the single LED can produce 4200 Lumens it's still no match for the Polarian at 1/2 Mile distance. Would a 15,000 Lumen Seoul be enough?

So can anyone roughly calculate how many lumen is required of the Novatac to match the Polarian at 1/2Mile distance? I'm planning to learn how to mod my Novatac, which I plan to buy so it can match a Polarion Helio

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hello everyone, I have a theoretical question here. Lets assume you can increase the LED lumen count of a Novatac 120P without limits. How many Lumens would it take to light up a deer 1/2 Mile away, with the SAME INTENSITY of a Polarian 40W - 4200 Lumen, HID?

I'm assuming since the Novatac has a much smaller reflector, that even if the single LED can produce 4200 Lumens it's still no match for the Polarian at 1/2 Mile distance.

So can anyone roughly calculate how many lumen is required of the Novatac to match the Polarian at 1/2 distance? I'm planning to learn how to mod my Novatac, which I plan to buy so it can match a Polarion Helio

You're going to be waiting 10-20 years for that level of tech.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure why you are buying a Novatac to match the throw of a polarion. This is especially strange, since the Polarion doesn't throw all that well compared to other HIDs. It is more spill/flood oriented.
I don't know why you are assuming something that isn't true (that you can increase the lumens "without limits") if you are actually trying to achieve similar output as the Polarion.
Is this just hypothetical, or are you really trying to do this?

Dan FO

Enlightened
Even if there was a LED that could you would need a battery pack the size of a brick to do it. One CR123 is a miniscule power source for something like that.

Zdenka

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why you are assuming something that isn't true (that you can increase the lumens "without limits") if you are actually trying to achieve similar output as the Polarion.

Sorry, I am new to the flashlight world so I don't know what is or isn't possible. What I'm asking is purely hypothetical: How many lumen would a Novatac require to match the intensity of a Polarian Helios at 1/2 Mile distance?

Well, I am saving up for a Polarion, but I would enjoy the pocketability of a Novatac, so I guess that's why I'm asking it! :nana:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You won't be reaching your goal for quite a few years if ever. You also have to remember that the batteries can only supply so much current before they die.

If you just want throw, maybe you should try swapping out the LEDs for 3 Lasers, one red, one green, one blue, and combining them to be a white laser.

Also, a literal point source of light with a tiny perfect reflector will still out throw anything because the light source is a point. Of course, that kind of light source doesn't exist. The size of the source of light also has a lot to do with throw.

What exactally do you want to do? Also remember where current technology is and how long it took to get here (AKA, be realistic).

My guess is the light will be between 1000-10000 lumen.

Just get a laser if you want lots of throw in small size.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Polaron in my best guess puts out 4000 lumens with a much larger reflector from a smaller source. I'd guess you'd need at least double the lumens from an LED to match the intensity from something like a Novatac. Also note that the Polaron reflector is much higher quality and thus more reflective than the Novatac's. So hypothetically I'd guess 8000 lumens.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
A half mile is over 2600 feet. In all honesty, a Polarion PH40 probably can't even make it that far and reflect back enough light for you to actually see anything (except on a very clear night). For that range, you need something with a bigger reflector.

koti

Enlightened
Yep. It sure would be nice to mod a Kia to look and drive like an Aston Martin DBS :laughing:

Last edited:

bullettproof

Enlightened

I'm assuming since the Novatac has a much smaller reflector, that even if the single LED can produce 4200 Lumens it's still no match for the Polarian at 1/2 Mile distance. Would a 15,000 Lumen Seoul be enough?

So can anyone roughly calculate how many lumen is required of the Novatac to match the Polarian at 1/2 distance? I'm planning to learn how to mod my Novatac, which I plan to buy so it can match a Polarion Helio

I almost Spit my drink out when I got to the bottom man you dont mess around you should had just went for the Polarion 50 instead of the 40's output.:crackup:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be amazed if I saw something the size of a Novatac equal a Polarion in my life time. This is like saying you'd like your minivan to do 1/4 mile in a couple seconds. Even if you were able to get thousands of HP in your minivan, it would still have a lot of other limiting factors to over come.

DM51

Flashaholic
The Polarion reflector is ~4" diameter vs. the Novatac 1", so approx 16x the surface area. Taking the Polarion's 4,000 Lm, multiply by 16 to achieve a similar result with a 1" reflector = 64,000 Lm or thereabouts.

Can't see the problem, really. It might get slightly warm to hold in your hand after a while, and you won't get more than 4 hours run-time out of it.

LOL

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically, if you pack a 1KW HID bulb and ballast in the novatac, that should do the trick, right?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
What???!! Dude you need to slowly step away from the keyboard and rethink what you have just asked...That would be like trying make a Go-Kart go has fast has a F-1..its never going to happen. You would need some sort of microfusion to achieve the power needed.....never mind, its not going to happen period. :shakehead

O BTW :welcome: Start reading...:thumbsup:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't answer your question. However, I'd like to point out that even if you had a 100% efficient circuit, 100% efficient optics, and a 100% efficient electricity to light converter, the first two of which are not possible yet and the last of which is not even remotely possible yet, you'd be nowhere near that kind of power. You would also need a breakthrough in battery technology also. So, I hate say it, but your answer really won't help at all.

MWClint

Enlightened
The Novatac 120 cant be modded match a Polarion, but the Novatac 525,000 can surely do it. Comes in OD Green and the head isnt glued on. Very early serial #. Comes with EDC Trailer and built in charger.

nov.jpg

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^ ha ha ha... :crackup:

OK once upon a time there was a little girl named Mary. Mary lived on a sheep farm, but every where that Mary went the little lamb Lumen was sure to follow.

One day there was a loud noise from the pasture, when the family rose to look to see what was happening they were greatly sadden. The big wolf Polarion had taken away not 1 but 3 sheep. Mary was very frightened, because Lumen was so small and Polarion liked to eat 10 little lambs for one dinner. She was scared that next time Polarion would be able to make it all the way to the center of the herd and get little Lumen.

Mary cried, and cried, her parents tried to calm her by telling her that their faithful sheep dog NovaTac would protect little Lumen, but Mary knew NovaTac was old and Polarion was big and strong.

Now a word from our sponsors: **** Enjoy Cripsy Crisps **** with your morning coffee and afternoon Tea.

Tune in next week... will Lumen follow Mary to school?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing cars to what is essentially electronic technology doesn't usually work. Even some of the great wizards of computer tech had no idea how fast and far things would develop. Microsoft's Bill Gates believed in the early 80's that it would be unlikely for a computer to have any need for over 640 kilobytes of RAM (memory)' which of course is less than one one-thousandth of the RAM most computers have today. Technology rapidly outran even that guru's expectations much faster than he expected. Given some of the things happening with lighting in general right now and the amount of companies jumping into LED's and adding to that the race for higher density power and new alternative energy sources it might not be as crazy as it sounds. After all I'm quite sure if I had come on here 3 years ago and said I wanted to have a 1" by 3.25" flashlight (Novatac size) with at least 600 Lumens output everyone would have thought I was crazy. Link to that exact light in post #35

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah , but you get my point...:nana:

4000 Lumen Novatac..Como'n now..No really como'n now. The comparison alone is a bit ridiculous, at least try something bigger like a Mag or M6... Heck PK must be watching this thread and holding on to something in the 1k lumens range, driven by a coin cell, with a grin on his face, so lemme shut-up...:sssh: