Fenix LD01: some real world beamshots comparing output on NiMh vs 10440

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had some free time today, decided to take a few decidedly amatuerish pictures of my LD01 running on nimh cells and 10440 cells to see if there was any difference that my point and shoot camera could catch. So here are the pictures, hope they're somewhat helpful to those who might be thinking of getting one of these tiny pocket rockets.

1st shot is the control, this is a bedroom in my home, you can see the window showing the amount of ambient light we have here in Singapore and i'm 12 floors up!

The cabinet that i am shining on is about 18ft away from the light (maybe more)

e2ec0794.jpg

Just for fun, here's a shot of my Akoray AAA on a 1.2v NiMh

be351b6c.jpg

Now, here's the Fenix LD01 on NiMh (medium)

167a2e43.jpg

Fenix LD01 on 10440 (medium)

a4c543d5.jpg

Fenix LD01 on NiMh (Lo)

2719d6fc.jpg

Fenix LD01 on 10440 (Lo)

ad24bffb.jpg

Fenix LD01 on NiMh (High)

02f34aee.jpg

Fenix LD01 on 10440 (High)

86df0fba.jpg

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have LD10 to compare to, can you post the same shot comparing LD10 with lithium and Akoray AAA with lithium

Thanks for the shots..

boomhauer

Banned
Thanks, very illuminating. The LD01 with 10440 is a screamer. Have you ever put a 10440 in the AKOray?

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots. I've been thinking about getting one of these; the only AAA light I have is the E01, and for what it is, it's great. But more output, and a nicer beam and tint, are very tempting.

And by all means, go ahead with the outdoor beamshots, they would really give us a good idea of what this little thing can do.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, these beamshots seem to give a good indication of the differences for this small light.

I have not invested in any Li-Ion 10440 cells, but since I'll be getting the new LightFlux when it is released I may consider it. It's quite possible though I'll just stick with non-rechargeable Lithium cells.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments, and yes, i did try putting a 10440 in an Akoray AAA but surprisingly it did not (1) increase output (2) poof the LED, output was marginally different (at least to my eye). No idea why this is so as i am technically handicapped ('challenged' is the politically correct way of putting i suppose).

BigBlueFish: i have an E01 too and actually use that more for things like reading, tying fishing rigs, navigating dark hotel rooms, at home for midnight munchy raids on the fridge cos it's a lot more discreet.

I am assuming that the outdoor beamshots would also be a comparision between nimh and 10440 yes?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing the NiMH and the 10440 would make sense, though I don't use the rechargeable cells (I haven't even worked up the nerve to try a 2 x CR123a light...I think I have an indordinate fear of :poof:) I think a lot of folks here are really excited by the idea of an insanely bright AAA light - even if it eats the whole battery in 1/4 hour. :)

You might also want to compare the low on the LD01 and the EO1. The EO1 is very practical, and I'm sure I'll pick up a couple more, for the tackle box, my hunting jacket pocket, the camping kit, etc...as "just in case lights" - and they are almost perfect for lighing the inside of a tent by bouncing the light off the inside of the roof - but that funny hotspot shape and weird blue/purple tint really bugs me...if the LD01 low is nice and white, I want one.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BligBLueFish: +1 on the tint of the E01, i would stock up on those if the tint was better, come on Fenix, revamp the E01. Ok, comparison photos for the E01 with the LD01 on low mode (using alkaline, nimh and li-ion) will be posted. Be patient, the sun is out and blazing away in SIngapore right now

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice comparison shots, hyperloop. Gives me a good idea of the differences. I haven't graduated to 10440s, yet. Might just do it for that new LiteFlux.

Geoff

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the shots... it is amazing to see an AAA flashlight having full output from the Q5 and still having the modes.

I couldn't be happier with this combo.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many lumens is your NiMh producing on High?

How many lumens is your 10440 producing on High?

Even if you had to guess... how many more lumens did that 10440 produce over the NiMh?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
CaNo: hard for me to say as i am totally non-technical and base whatever i have on what more technically savvy people here say.

Based on Fenix's website, the high is supposed to be around 80 lumens and if you take a look at the pics, Med on 10440 looks to be the same as High on NiMh.

So, if i had to guess, High on 10440 looks to be about double that of High on NiMh, so would that be 160? All i can say is that it is one incredibly bright light on 10440s.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Nice pics hyperloop.Yes the LD01 is an absolute screamer on 10440's.

My first AAA light was the LD01SS and I ran it on L92 lithiums which I found was brighter than alkalines or NiMh. Happy so far. Didn't have any 10440's and was reluctant to try any as I had read that it wasn't a good match.

My next AAA was a ARCmania Extreme III(custom LFX2 with a Rebel 100) which I ran on alkalines and NiMh. The Extreme has battery monitering and low votage shutdown for different battery chemistry so now was the time to try 10440's as I have an RC Schultze charger.

I was impressed. The Extreme was probably 30-50 % brighter. Very happy now.

Decided to be brave and tried a 10440 in the LD01 and couldn't believe the difference. WOW, probably double with ceiling bounce test. Throw is about 70-80 % of my PD20 which is amazing for a key chain light.

Yes it gets hot quick and I am careful not to run the voltage down too far. No problem with over driven Q5. Others have been using 10440 in the LD01 since it came out. I have not heard of any failures.

I agree with hyperloops estimate of 160 lumens. The throw is amazing(I think I said that already). It's almost as if the 10440 was developed for the LD01.

Again, thanks for the beam shots....Walter

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
CaNo: hard for me to say as i am totally non-technical and base whatever i have on what more technically savvy people here say.

Based on Fenix's website, the high is supposed to be around 80 lumens and if you take a look at the pics, Med on 10440 looks to be the same as High on NiMh.

So, if i had to guess, High on 10440 looks to be about double that of High on NiMh, so would that be 160? All i can say is that it is one incredibly bright light on 10440s.

160 lumens... wow... good enough! So whatever happened to those outdoor beamshots you were going to do? You us quite curious here hyperloop! lol

recDNA

Flashaholic
160 lumens... wow... good enough! So whatever happened to those outdoor beamshots you were going to do? You us quite curious here hyperloop! lol

I was all excited about 160 lumens but now I'm ascared the 10440 might set my pocket on fire.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just don't leave it turned on :nana:

You know what is funny about that? I keep my LD01 on my keyring on a belt carabiner type clip and with all the bouncing around it somehow tightens and DOES turn itself on! (I wish you had to turn to a tightened section where it had to click to turn on) It's very noticeable at night but in the daytime who knows how long it's on?

Also, from what I've read, 10440's can short out internally and just burst into flame :poof: for no reason at all...so the light doesn't even HAVE to be on.