18650 Light with Focus and Multi-Mode

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone of a light with the following features:

a. Takes a single 18650 cell (or 2x CR123A/1634)
b. Is focusable from spot to flood (like some of the LED LENSER lights)
c. Multi-mode with at least High-Mid-Low (or adjustable brightness).
d. About 5in. long and less than 1.25in. diameter at the largest part (about the same size or smaller than a SF 6P).
e. LED with 150 lumens or better.
f. Less than $100.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wolf Eyes fox has some focus adjustment, but it is not anywhere near as much as the LED lensers have. It is more from a "slightly floody" beam to a more "throwy" one.
It also has only 1 mode, but it does run on 18650s.

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
If you removed the "focusable" requirement and replaced it with using a diffuser, then you'd have a much larger range of flashlights to choose from, unless you specifically need that option...

A possible suggestion could be the "MG L-Mini II 18650 Cree Q3-5C Warm White LED Flashlight" from shiningbeam.com:

a. Takes a single 18650 cell (or 2x CR123A/1634)
[Yes, "Compatible with 1 x 18650 or 1 x 17670" but "Do not use 2 x CR123A/RCR123A batteries in this light"]

b. Is focusable from spot to flood (like some of the LED LENSER lights)
[No]

c. Multi-mode with at least High-Mid-Low (or adjustable brightness).
[Yes, "3 Modes: low >mid>high"]

d. About 5in. long and less than 1.25in. diameter at the largest part (about the same size or smaller than a SF 6P).
[Yes, "4.46 in x 0.86 in"]

e. LED with 150 lumens or better.
[Yes, "200 Lumens on high mode"]

f. Less than $100.
[Yes, "$45.75"]

That's my suggestion...though, I'm new here...

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a cheap 18650 cree focusable flashlight with optics at DX with sliding action. not sure if its worth mentioning.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You actually might want to look at the L-mini II. There is a Q5 cool white version, as well as a Q3 5C warmer tinted "neutral white" version (which I have). The stock head has decent spill, and I think something like a translucent water bottle cap would probably work as a diffuser.
However, there is also a slightly larger "turbo head" available for $10, which increases the throw substantially, and it shouldn't be too hard to switch heads.
Focusing with a reflector rarely works without artifacts (maglites are a good example of this), but 2 different reflectors could work pretty well.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your comments, guys. I am researching the design of a range of lights. Besides meeting the criteria in my first post, a compact package would be highly desirable for EDC. So far, this is what I have come up with. Shown here for size comparison sandwiched between a 2x CR123A (or 1x 18650) and a single CR123A light.

a_60b.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a cheap 18650 cree focusable flashlight with optics at DX with sliding action. not sure if its worth mentioning.

I ordered this 18650 Aspheric light. I currently have the IST by Packhorse, but it is not focusable just all throw. So, I will see and reply back how it stacks up against the IST Packhorse I already have.

Aspheric plus focusability. There is a custom aspheric focusable light cr123 size, but sold out and now go for $150 to $200. I think SrgLED has one for sale.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many versions of the "x2000." Some are single mode, some are multimode, some are 3xAAA, some are 18650, some are other battery types. I have one, my first LED flashlight, as more of an entry level light, cheap enough for me to afford, but neat enough to pique my interest. I now am slowly working on making one of those p60 mc-e lights... If you have any questions about the x2000, post 'em up, I'll try to answer them. I don't have any current measurements or light measurements.

The head feels pretty loose, doesn't feel sturdy, but it hasn't broken yet...
Electronics are kind of iffy, but for $15 bucks, meh. Wouldn't use it as an EDC, but as a loaner.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice design. Nice concept. Nice feature set. Focusability seems to be the feature most often missing from a full featured light. Only thing I can say is to add some knurling or longitudinal features to the tailcap so you can unscrew it. Sometimes maglight tailcaps can be a bear and they have more area (larger diameter) & 'some' knurling.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up a EagleTac T100C2 and it's a 220/55 lumen 18650 light with a fantastic throwing spot and plenty of spill, all for $50 (half your budget). [See my other thread to modify it for flat top Tenergy 18650s...]

In my years in emergency services I've never really had the need or desire to be able to adjust the focus. From a tactical point of view, focusability is probably not high on their needs list either. The T100C2 could use a lower low, but I have no problem with a 55 lumen general output for 20 hours. With the other $50, I would buy a backup... "Two is one, etc."

That being said, needs are different for different users and focusability may be important for others out there! Other than that, the other features you requested are shared by a few lights out there including the Fenix tk11 (only high/low also) and Olight. Keep working on that design!

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments/suggestions. The way I see it, a light without focusing ability is like a single mode light - there are going to be times when you want more (or less) light, and there will be times when you want spot (or flood, or something in between).

The tail caps will have aggressive diamond point knurling cut into them. I have pretty much settled on the design characteristics. I intend to do 2 variations - one that takes a single 18650 cell (or 2x CR123/16340) for EDC/backup and another for 2 or 3 C cells for use as a duty light (easy availability of power sources - alkaline cells - is a primary consideration). Both variations will have the same features - including multi-mode output and focusing. Shown here for size comparison is the 2C version, a 2x CR123 light, the 18650 version and a CR123 light. Crenallated bezels are optional - flat bezels will be standard.

a_60c.jpg

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have pretty much settled on the final configuration for the design of the 18650 (or 2x CR123) light. It will incorporate all of the features outlined in post #1 - particularly the focusing capability. Here is a size comparison with a popular single CR123 light:

a_61m.jpg

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
When are you going to make these lights? Have you started on any yet?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
@gunga, the LED/pill is accessible with the head removed. You can then swap emitters.

@Mjolnir, I am having 5 prototypes made for testing. If they work out good, I will do 30-40 pre-production units for third party evaluation, samples, etc.

@LukeA, focussing is done by moving the head forward by 10mm. to reach the spot position (flood is the rearmost position as shown above). Originally, it was to be done by sliding the head but the initial prototype will use a multi-start, 1mm. pitch thread that will accomplish focusing by twisting it through about 2.5 turns. I may also try the sliding mechanism to see how it works.

Latest posts