Re: Newbie - World trip - LED flashlight decision

diverseft

Newly Enlightened

Hi Guys

Completely new to the forum. In a few months time going on a world trip for a year and decided I wanted to take a decent LED flash light with me. I have been to the regular travel shops and all they seem to sell are headlamps. As i do a allot of dog walking etc at home I would much rather a small (6 inch ish)flashlight.

I have been doing allot of reading and luckily found this forum.
After reading some older posts, 2 lights i like the look of are:

LumaPower M1 Hunter
SureFire 6P Original

Do you have any advice on which one you think would be a good bet or am i way off? Im looking at spending around the £40/£45 (sterling) mark and want to be able to use it for any long treks on my travels in the dark etc.

Apologies if this has already been asked before. I did a search on the forums for similar posts etc.

Thanks for help

AusKipper

Enlightened

Firstly, I would take something that runs on AA batteries, can be brought anywhere.

Secondly I would take 2 lights, 1 about the size of the 2 you mentioned, and a smaller 1xaaa light that you would have on you all the time/or as a backup.

Being a Fenix fan I would recommend a Fenix TK20 as the primary, and a Fenix E01 as the backup. If you have a fair bit of money I would buy the LD01 as the backup instead of the E01.

I'm sure lots of other people (that are not Fenix nuts) will recommend lots of other lights, and i'm sure they will be decent, but it would be good to think about battery compatibility. CR123's can be hard to get.

If your happy to carry CR123's then I would also recommend a Fenix TK10 :) .

Headlight might not be a bad idea either.. Zebralight H501 or something... here you are, you wanted a torch.. and i have said buy 3 :)

Anyways...

Enough rambling..

Edit: Oh, and good luck

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with AusKipper. IMO AA lights with some kind of back up light is the way to go. A headlamp would also be good for hands free but if you don't mind mouth holding, the weight of a AAA light is almost negligble if you only need hands free for a minute. Maybe a Fenix LD10 or Nitecore D10 and a couple of Fenix E01's as a back ups. Are you going to be carrying a light on you at all times? If you are not going to carry a light then of course size is not as much of a consideration.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agree also, I'd be thinking AA. Even if you're travelling to places that have 123As available, buying 123As in stores can leave you with post-traumatic stress disorder. 123As I can get online for $1.50 each cost as much as $11 each in stores, and batteries are not what I want to spend my money on during my World Tour 2009.

sappyg

Enlightened

+1 on AA batteries. check out selfbuilts review of AA flashlights. most if not all will be within your budget.

Toaster

Enlightened

I think sticking with a 2xAA light is the smartest choice. And then if you have enough money leftover get a 1xAA or 1xAAA light as a backup.

Marduke

Flashaholic

I would definitely go with an AA light that can go very dim, and looks sheeple friendly.

The NiteCore D10 (preferably with clip) and Photon Proton Pro come to mind immediately.

If you will be traveling to any locations with limited power system, a headlamp is also a must for nightly chores. Again, an AA powered with low low is recommended, such as the Zebralight H50 or H501.

A small keychain backup is probably a good idea as well. Enter Fenix E01. Simple and bombproof.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes as others have said, go for something with AA sized cells. If you're not traveling light I'd recommend eneloop rechargeables and a universal charger with plug-adaptor kit. If you are carring other electronic devices then the adaptor kit might be handy, say for your Digital Camera. If your not packing other electronic gear, get a couple packages of Lithium e2 AA sized batteries before you leave.

Headlamps are incredibly useful during travel. You might think about a Zebralight H50 or H501, they can be used as both Headlamps and Angle flashlights.

Another recommendation would be the Fenix L1D or LD01. If you don't mind the larger 2 cell lights, the Fenix L2D or LD20 would be great.

A really handy travel light is the Proton Pro, easy interface with variable brightness, and quite compact.

I would carry 1 or two Photon-Freedoms as well, as zipper lights.

Even though it is AAA, I myself would have an Fenix L0D or LD01 with me all the time runing Lithium e2 AAA cells. I'd buy a pack of 4 before I left.

For me; I'd pack a Zebra H50, Fenix L2D/T, L0D, and 2 photon freedoms. If I really wanted 1 battery type I'd trade the L0D for the Proton Pro.

If I had to travel light, H50 and L2D/T, and P-F.

If I was only allowed to take 1 light, it would be an L0D/LD01, Proton Pro, or L1D/LD10.

Be sure to get your lights early enough to test them and give them a small reliability test before leaving.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

As said before, an AA powered light would probably be best for your uses. Look at Fenix, Olight, iTP, Jetbeam, Lumapower, Nitecore, Zebralight (floody and small headlamps), and similar companies.

I think a good 2 AA light with a 1 AAA backup and a keychain light should be a good setup.

:welcome:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make

i echo the chorus. AA just because they are easy to find EVERYWHERE in the world.. not like charging plug for your rechargable li-ions or the specialized batteries like cr123s in jungle of cambodhia. but i am ready to bet there is a cocacola vendingmachine and aa batteries in the local store.

but i would like to differ a bit of others. i actually too think that one light is none, and two is one. So buying TWO similar lights would be my suggestion. 2aa versions.

know how to use one, you know to use the others too.

if one fails/breaks or you loose it somehow (stolen or misplaced..) you would have a similar light at hand. if both break (unlikely, but murphys law :() you might be still able to make one working sample of them.

then a third light (or second one if you need to save weight and bulk and must choose your light smartly..more of this later in post)
it should be 1AA light. (why aa and not aaa u ask?) well because it simplifies the battery needs. you need only to carry(or find) one common type of battery with you to create illumination!

and 1AA because you can use in it half used batteries without worries. in 2 cell light if you accidentally put in empty and new battery in it, the new battery dies fast too.

about choosing smartly: fenix and itp flashlights actually have certain models that allow you to swap heads and clickys and bodies between each other. for instance buy itp c7 and itp c8 flashlights, and all parts interchange between them, you can use itpc7 (1aa model) head in c8(2aa) and so forth if one part fails!

*true hardcore flashaholic just forgets about spare clothes and other useless amenities like camping gear, and packs in 4 dozen batteries and takes all the flashlights he likes and wants with him and the chargers etc and is still happy camper even when his luggages weigh too much. he has his lights to play with.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with all the advice given above regarding AA.
My recommendation is Nitecore D10 or Nitecore Defender Infinity or get both for just-in-case situations.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Ah, yeah, I forgot the 1st gen NDI's are still on super mega sale right now.

s.c.

Newly Enlightened

What kind of traveling? Backpacking (hosteling) across continental Europe? Staying in smaller villages in SE Asia? Jungles of Africa? Staying in 5 star hotels in all the major cities? All of the above?

Regardless of where you are going, as everyone else has said, AA configuration is a must. The robustness of the light, though, will depend on where you're going. I think a single AA Fenix will do most of what you'll need, but a 2xAA might be needed if you'll be out in the wilderness a lot.

Regardless of what you get, I'd also suggest you get a Fenix E01 (small, durable, waterproof, long lasting low powered AAA light) that stays with you at all times.

When I went backpacking through Europe and parts of SE Asia, I got by with an old Arc-aaa (this was before I became a flashaholic) and it was suitable for all my tasks. I used it all the time in the hostels (taking showers at night, used it to not interrupt others sleeping when I came in late, etc), to read maps, and most often to look into my own backpack.

seaside

Enlightened

I do not know where you go, how many people going with you, guided trip or not, but it is not your typical hanging arround in your town. Thus you should be careful, respect the place, and you shouldn't venture too far without a guide or reliable information. Having a flashlight with you is a good idea, but never go unknown place in the dark solely rely on your flashlight. The flashlight should be reliable, robust and easy to use. I won't specify a certain brand for you though, I do agree that AA powered small flashlight is a way to go in this situation. Having a backup or two also is a good idea. And get a couple of backup batteries in your bag all times.

So good luck choosing the flashlight you need, and welcome to CPF.

hatman

Enlightened

Whether you take an AA light, a AAA, or something else for pocket carry, you might consider whether it comes with a clip.

Why a manufacturer would make a pocket-size light without also offering a clip is a mystery to me.

Enjoy yourself -- and have fun choosing your new torch!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recently received my first "real" light. A Fenix LD20. Great light. I don't have any complaints. Runs on 2 AA, and the User Interface (UI) is extremely easy to use. Theres also the LD10, which is the same head, but a 1 AA battery tube. I would recommend these to anyone.
For an apparently bulletproof backup, consider the E01. Testing done by other CPF members show these to be extremely well made lights.

If you are looking for CR123 lights, take a look at the Ra series. These are also built like tanks, and several are programmable.

Last edited:

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened

You will want a 2xAA format, since AA batteries are common everywhere, and 2xAA lights are about 6in long. The Nitecore D-20 seems like an ideal choice. I'd also get a Zebralight H501 as a backup light, since it's small, reliable, and you can use it as a headlamp.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

The D20 may be a little heavy if he's going to be backpacking and trying to travel light. I'd rather stick with single AA flashlights (D10, NDI, LD10). Carry a couple spares and buy new ones as needed to restock the supply.

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened

If you go with 123A batteries I'd bring rechargeables and a small charger. Most of the 2 slot chargers are 100-240V (just need a plug adapter) and weigh almost nothing. Makes traveling with 123 based lights a lifesaver cause you don't have to guess how many primaries you might use and if you run out, don't have to pay up to $15 (US) for one battery.