what is purpose of "D" ring on Fenix holster?

sf22

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a P2D. It came with a holster that has both a belt loop and a plastic "D" ring that obviously hooks on to something. It is an annoyance when the belt loop is used. Before I cut it off and trim the webbing back and melt it I am curious as to the purpose of the ring. Anyone know? I also bought a twofish velcro holder for my bike and it works well. I was looking for a new bike light and decided to get a good flashlight and use it for a carry light and for the bike.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
The D ring is just to connect the holster to a loop in a backpack ect. It's also handy to run a lanyard through and connect to the light, that way even if your light falls from its holster, it won't get lost.

rockz4532

Enlightened
The D ring is just to connect the holster to a loop in a backpack ect. It's also handy to run a lanyard through and connect to the light, that way even if your light falls from its holster, it won't get lost.
I never thought of that, I'm gonna go make a lanyard...

tompen

Newly Enlightened
Also works great to clip to a stainless belt clip that you can get at any key or lock place, the clips are designed to hold keys on a ring and the ring hooks on the clip. The D-Ring on the Fenix holster is perfect size to hook on these clips, then the holster hangs and swings free and is much more comfortable than with a belt run through the back of it. I carry a P1D like that every day.

Tom

sf22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I will look for a belt clip like you described. I think even if I modified the original holster by trimming off the top it may still rub.