Tactical?

scuba

Enlightened
I just would like to know what a light exactly needs to be qualified as "tactical". Is it all a matter of brightness? Is it because it is resistant to anything? Does it have to be small? What is the minimum required? Is the E2e for example considered tactical? I guess not...

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it just means that the light was designed with the needs of a profession that engages in lowlight tactical situations primarily in mind (i.e. Law Enforcement, Military). Specs probably include water resistance, shock resistance, features specific to firearms applications and tactics, retention options, tested reliability and durable finish for longevity. I would not include a specific type of beam due to the fact that those in the above field probably require different types of light just as you and I do (i.e. the Arc AAA and CMG infinity ultra govt.). But I would venture to say that high output incandescents seem to rule the roost as far as extreme tactical usage is concerned, although according to Surefire that is destined to change. I still believe that my Arc LSH-P with a few accessories such as a red or green filter, could be a nice little light with limited tactical applications.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned
It's a marketing term, usually.

If it "looks" military or law enforcement like, or has features often found on military or law enforcement devices, the marketing/advertising department will attach "tactical" to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Additional question (extra credit): What would a "strategic" light be like? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(When I was in the USAF we had, among others, the "Tactical Air Command" which ran the quick, short-range fighters, and the "Strategic Air Command" which ran the big, long-range bombers. I was SAC, myself.)

tomsig03.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd guess:
Tactical Air Command may be termed "Surgical Air", and Strategic Air Command could be termed "Collective Air"...
Who knows...

I had always viewed "tactical" lights as lights that can be triggered on and off, pulsed and constant on, through the rear, and can be operated by one hand... That means no side switch...

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
tsg... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

That's about as good an explanation as I've heard/read...

Tactical lights, which are true tac lights, are ones that address a "tactical environment." It basically comes down to combat tactics. If you're going to engage a hostile target in a low-light/no-light CQB environment, then you'd better have a light that's up to the job, including its use in handgun flashlight techniques, such as the Harries/Ayoob/FBI/Rogers-SureFire/Chapman/etc.

A high intesity discharge light would put out an intense amount of light that would obviously be blinding to an armed suspect, but given its current form, it would be too heavy and cumbersome to effectively manuever. I would correctly prefer to operate in a more tactically sound manner by employing a light such as the two cell G2Z, of course, a tactical light. I can move better with that light, I can identify my areas of threat, I can identify my target, and it's the other half of my force option that's ultimately going to aid me in putting myself into my opponent's OODA loop.

Handgun flashlight techniques is serious business... it requires a serious light tool. If a company chooses to market their light as a tactical component, then it should live up to that standard. But it doesn't always happen that way. Training and the actual application of the light is what weeds out the marketing hype from the real goods.

-Jim

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just talking with David at Pocketlights about this today...

Personally, I think the term is overused.

I agree with the above posts. A "tactical" light would get it's classification from the type of work it is typically used for. Tactical work is typically short term, high intensity and usually involving guns. True Tactical lights are usually not optimized for being carried all the time or used for long periods of time.

I would classify a tactical light as a sub class under task lights. Task lights (for those who may have seen my classification system) are lights carried intentionally and with a specific job (task) in mind. Compared this to a EDC (Every Day Carry) that is carried unobtrusively and used for mostly unanticipated applications. These qualities make an EDC more likely to be there in an emergency. Tactical lights on the other hand are the cause of the emergency. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I too was pondering what a "strategic" light would entail.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic
Here's a strategic flashlight:

http://www.brightguy.com/detail.html?sku=STR45129

It's a 7-pound SLA powered Streamlight Lightbox you can mount on the wall under permanent trickle charge, that turns itself on if the power fails. It's removable from the wall bracket so you can also use it as a portable light.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, excellent!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif That lS the strategic light, always on standby to deliver overwhelming performance under the worst conditions!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the compliment Jim, I believe in the statements you and everyone here made in so much as the term is probably overused by marketing departments and that any light claiming the tactical designation better be able to deliver the goods under a life threatening circumstance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There is alot more discussion and controversy over the use of this term when it comes to folding knives, and I have engaged in some heated debates over this in the related forums. It is nice to see that people that are enthusiasts of flashlights are much tougher to snow when it comes to this issue. I think to qualify for the "tactical" terminology a product has to be ready for use beyond the normal or expected situation. Materials and aesthetics don't make a product tactical in nature, enduring and expected performance based on well planned design and application considerations better qualify a product to this.

Later,

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr--that streamlight is the one we have at work. Now I can truly be considered tactical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I always associated a "tactical" light as something somebody would use with a gun, so they could see what they were about to hose down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The light would be only used for a few seconds to around a minute at a time, have a tailcap switch, and be held with a Rogers or Harries grip right along with the gun. So where the light goes, that's where the bullet will go too.

Last August, I sent PK at SureFire a picture of a SureFire KL2 being used in this manner, except that instead of a gun, I had a can of Raid so I could hose down those little damn flies I think my houseplants attracted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My definition of Tactical on a fun-filled Sat. night

A purposely designed action or item specifically tailored to deal with a harsh and physically threatening environment.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Craig's bug and Raid situation is a prime example of tactical use of a flashlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I only wish we had a video clip to post on Strategos, It could be titled "Low -light Tactics for Bug Extermination". Maybe Ken Good can start a class to teach the correct tactics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later,

brightnorm

Flashaholic
"Proper" definition:

1) A light specifically designed for use in military and law enforcement tactical operations

Looser definition:

2) A light whose design facilitates use in military and law enforcement tactical operations

General definition:

3) Any light that can be used in military, and law enforcement tactical operations

Note that only the first description defines a "true" tactical light which is unique because of its design intent.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
eluminator said:
So a Swiss Army knife/LED/handgrenade/nail_clipper would be tactical, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if the nail clipper was HAIII

Brightnorm