Another Mag Lite Story

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was checking another computer forum and happened to see a thread about recommendations for a flashlight. Interestingly enough most if not all suggestions were for getting the the LED Mini Mag Lites.

Not knocking Mag or anything like that but it all goes back to the fact these people are non flashaholics. Some points mentioned was the cost and reliability. Streamlight/Surefires were mentioned but those who mentioned them got jabbed with the price (its expensive). Not to start a war or anything, just passing on another story about lights.

Just goes to show that Mag Lites are still held in the highest regards by the non flashaholics.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as many hate to admit, that's some pretty darn good advertising... Basically any company that has replaced a noun or verb with their name has made a serious accomplishment. Things like making a "Xerox" copy, putting on a "Band-Aid", or even "Googling" a webpage. They have become common household words and are used millions of times a day in the form of free advertising. Mag too has made that association.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Well . . . .

They're available anywhere and everywhere.

No need to "mail-order", or find a "dealer".

Reasonable price

Common battery size

"Bulb" never burns out, breaks, or blackens with age

Even comes with a nice, rugged belt-holster

Hey, even a choice of colors !

What more could anyone want ? ? ?

:cool:

_

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was checking another computer forum and happened to see a thread about recommendations for a flashlight. Interestingly enough most if not all suggestions were for getting the the LED Mini Mag Lites.

Not that they probably knew the difference, but the new MiniMags (with the Rebel, not LuxIII) really are quite decent flashlights.

That said, even in the narrow range of Walmart lights, I'd pick one of the Coleman MAXes over an unmodded MiniMag as a general purpose light. But if you get a 2D and 2AA MiniMag, and swap the pills, you get a great power-outage light (the 2D on low) and a great pocket light (the MiniMag) -- it's really hard to beat for most people's use.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I love Maglites! They are very well made and the many I have had in the past I still have now and they still work. Aside from the bulbs, they last forever.

That said, they are behind on the technology curve and although their most recent Rebel LED equipped lights are a vast improvement, they are still technoligically speaking a step behind the likes of Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, JetBeam, etc.

They do make great hosts though with a lot of potential for customization. I have a 2D ROP mod and I'm planning my 2C P7 mod and an MC-E mod too.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Bought one of the latest minimags just to check it out. It's a quite formidable light considering output, toughness, cost, US made, etc.

I always thought mag would die off when the led lights finally reached a tipping point (brighter AND longer running than a comparable incan). However... leds suffer from a "problem". New ones keep coming out that are brighter, cooler, and longer running.

Mag may just flourish because of this. Who wants to replace their $150 surefire L4 when a new version arrives, or can afford to. But mag can easily sell someone another minimag for $20.

Maglica's having a good laugh at our expense.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont have a problem with any product being considered as "the best", may ppl know what they talk about or not ...
... as long as I can purchase it.

If its not the best - not even near it - thats even nicer, because it makes comparing much more fun
;)

carrot

Flashaholic
Hey, Maglites are cheap and they work. Even if they are boring to us, with the LED upgrade they aren't half bad lights. I keep a 3AA MagLED on my desk.

GPB

Enlightened
The new rebel Mag's are pretty decent for a brick and mortar, sub $25 dollar light. They might not compare to a Fenix or Surefire, but those aren't lights for the average "Joe" ( or "Jane") Most people look at Dorcy, Brinkman, Eveready, generic and Mags. In that competitive group, Mag does pretty well. This is just a guess, but I'd say normal people don't use a flashlight for more than an hour a year. For someone like that the Mag's ( or any of those ) are more than sufficient.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for lifespan of mags, i bought a red 3D Mag probably 10 years ago if not more, its got a coupla dings and scrapes but that's about it, it saw new life when the stock LED dropins came out, but now i chucked in a stock 6D bulb and run it off 9xAA eneloops (after changing the lens) and its even better!

(but i still love my LEDs) :whistle:

bxstylez

Enlightened
hyperloop said:
+1 for lifespan of mags, i bought a red 3D Mag probably 10 years ago if not more, its got a coupla dings and scrapes but that's about it, it saw new life when the stock LED dropins came out, but now i chucked in a stock 6D bulb and run it off 9xAA eneloops (after changing the lens) and its even better!

(but i still love my LEDs)

u can run a 6D bulb with 9x AA eneloops?
i thought it'd instaflash at that point?

how much overdrive can the 6D bulb take?

Illum

Flashaholic
appearances can be deceiving....

just looking at the surface you won't know a mortar cast brick to another with just a layer of concrete over a Styrofoam core:whistle:

That being said. Maglites has one of the thickest skins for flashlights around here, and that's a record not easily established.:thumbsup: