Surefire G2?

pahl

Enlightened
Does the Surefire G2 have a Pyrex lens?
If not can you buy a Pyrex lens from surefire and easily replace it?

Thanks,

pahl

Enlightened
Can you buy parts like the G2Z bezel from Surefire or do you have to buy them from a Surefire dealer?

I have been looking over the Surefire.com site for the last couple day's and I don't see were you can view a parts list or get prices on parts for there flashlights.

I also could not find any info on the lens of the G2 at Surefire.com that is why I asked here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This place it great!

Thanks,

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe you can order the G2Z Bezel direct from SureFire (800 828 8809). I'm pretty sure someone posted the part number here on CPF (try searchign for G2Z Bezel)

SureFire's site has only a few of the thousands of products SureFire offer. It's a useful Dealer or places like CPF for finding out the details.

Al

Larry1582

Enlightened
I ordered one from Surefire a few weeks ago. Seems like it was around $17 total. I just called on the phone and ordered.
I don't have the part number right now.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's more like $22-24, by the time you buy that and a G2 you might as well get a G2z. if you want the combat grip and lotc.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with tkl by the time you buy the parts to convert a G2 to a more user friendly item you have spent more than the $55 or so dollars you would spend on a G2Z. Just buy the G2Z it even comes with the lanyard that Surefire charges around $10 to $12 for.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree; the grip rings are very useful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

btw there's a deal from botach that lets you have a G2Z, 22 batteries and a holster for $89...i'm wondering if i should jump on the deal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pahl

Enlightened
I'm receiving the G2 in a trade and I will probly just use it the way it is, but it's nice to know I can put a differant lens in it.

Thanks for the replies

Catapult

Enlightened
The E2E Executive Elite is smaller, slightly dimmer, and is made of aluminum. It has a Pyrex lens.

The G2Z is made of nitrolon, has a grip ring and lanyard.

emann

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Catapult said:
The E2E Executive Elite is smaller, slightly dimmer, and is made of aluminum. It has a Pyrex lens.

The G2Z is made of nitrolon, has a grip ring and lanyard.

[/ QUOTE ] Actually what I wanted to know is what is the difference between a pyrex and a lexan lens?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Pyrex is a type of tempered glass and Lexan is a polycarbonate (plastic)

SureFire use Pyrex mainly now because it does not deform or melt or scratch as easily as Lexan does when heated. We know that SureFires put out a lot of heat.
Another good thing about Pyrex is that SureFire applies Anti-Reflective coatings so that the transmissivity is increased allowing more light out compared to Lexan.

Down sides to Pyrex is that it cracks and fragments compared to Lexan which is practically impossible to crack (I've tried and failed)
The good news is that the glass lens that SureFire use are thick and very difficult to break (although I've broken a few when I field-tested some of SureFires to destruction)
This means that Pyrex lens bezels are also slightly longer and heavier compared to Lexan.

Another thing is that Lexan lens SureFires were push-in snap-fit rather than glued in place secured by a screw-in retaining ring. This means that Pyrex lenses can not be replaced by the user like older Lexan lenses can.

I personally find that Pyrex is a significant all round improvement over Lexan.

I hope this helps?

Al

emann

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:Another thing is that Lexan lens SureFires were push-in snap-fit rather than glued in place secured by a screw-in retaining ring. This means that Pyrex lenses can not be replaced by the user like older Lexan lenses can.
Al

[/ QUOTE ] So does this mean if I break the lens on a pyrex light I have to replace the whole bezel instead of just being able to replace the lens?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes. If you break your SureFire you call SureFire on 800 828 8809 and explain what happened.
It is likely that they will send you a replacement bezel.
I should point out that both the G2 and G2Z have non-user replaceable lenses as they are secured by the same method.

SureFire does have Lexan lens replacement kits for specific bezels:

If you have a Classic 1" diameter Lexan lens SureFire bezel such as a 6Z or 9P etc, SureFire's Z17 lens replacement kit is what you need.

If you have a Classic Shock Isolated Bezel (Z32) [for example on your WeaponLight], SureFire's Z19 lens replacement kit is what you need.

If you have a Classic 8X, SureFire's Z30 lens replacement kit is what you need.

If you have a Classic 9N, SureFire's R90 replacement Bezel (with Lamp Assembly) is what you need.

Al

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
emann said:
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:Another thing is that Lexan lens SureFires were push-in snap-fit rather than glued in place secured by a screw-in retaining ring. This means that Pyrex lenses can not be replaced by the user like older Lexan lenses can.
Al

[/ QUOTE ] So does this mean if I break the lens on a pyrex light I have to replace the whole bezel instead of just being able to replace the lens?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the SureFire E1E/E2E/E2O, the Pyrex lens can be replaced. Another thing that makes the the E2x-Series a great light, however I've never come across a reason to replace under normal usage.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
emann: if you were getting any 2-cell surefire i would recommend you get one with a lexan bezel but since you're getting a nitrolon bezel, just go with the G2Z since you wouldn't be able to change the lens on the G2 either.

nascar: i know the face plate can be removed with enough force, but i wasn't aware the lens can be removed....last time i saw an opened E2e/E1e bezel, the lens seemed to be glued to the face plate with some sort of rubber sealant or something.

Size15's

Flashaholic
this_is_nascar,

Do you mean that you can replace the lens if you so want or that SureFire send out a lens replacement kit?

Thanks

Al

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I mean that you can replace the lens if you want. I'm not aware of a relaplacement kit. The pyrex lens in the E2E is not held in with glue anything. There is a very thin rubber gasket on both ends of the lens, as it sits in the bezel. I have several of the lenses lying around by default of doing the bezel MODS. My only question is that since they are coated 1) are they coated on both sides and 2) if coated only on one side, how do I tell which side is coated? I make the mistake of not marking which side of the pyrex lenses where facing out.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The E Series Bezel should be glued. The production samples I have are all glued. The threaded bezel part that screws down the lens should be glued.

Al