"Fenix Thumb"...am I alone?

bpman

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I bought a Fenix P3D Q5 about 9 months ago and am extremely pleased with its performance. Plain and simple, it's bright, cool looking and fun to show off. It really is amazing how many people simply do not know that there are flashlights capable of adjusting brightness output and strobing/SOS features out there. To the masses...the MagLight's..flood adjustability is the pinacle of handlheld illumination technology.

The one issue, is this: When I hold the P3 in my hand (lens end sticking out from my little finger side and tailcap protruding from my thumb side..i.e. the "Ice Pick" grip)..my thumb does not articulate enough to press the tailbutton. Oh I can strain and squeeze but it feels like my thumb is going to dislocate at the first joint. What I end up doing is shifting the light around so that my "trigger finger" is at the tail button and I use it that way. With this method, I have to readjust the light after I get it as bright as I need it, back to the ice-pick grip..otherwise I am lighting up the floor or bending my elbow in a ridiculous manner to get the beam throw where I like it....and then readjust it to the "trigger finger" grip to adjust..and so on and so forth.

Doeas anyone else have this issue with Fenix light or is this a systemic ergonomic problem with all tail swith barell bodied lights? Are some tail switches easier to operate?

Thank you in advance. (Watch, I'll be the only one that has this issue, making me somewhat of an unflexible circus geek).

Bpman

Kelvrick

Newly Enlightened
Maybe your thumb just has some trouble moving. I'm guessing you'll have similar problems with similar designs (the small ones). Are you using the tip of your thumb to try to press the button?

How about you try adjusting your grip a little higher and using more of the "pad" of your thumb to press the button? its probably the whole "preventing accidental on" feature that is getting you. If you don't keep the light in your pocket, maybe try getting a larger model with an exposed button.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Welcome bpman.:welcome:

I've been EDCing a P3D R100 at work for several years now and never come across a problem hitting the tail switch. I carry it on the hip in the supplied holster and it has a nice smooth quick draw for deployment, hit the switch and I have light, all in one fluid movement. Maybe you're pushing the switch with the first joint on your thumb, which will cause a problem due to the flat tailstand nature of the light. I've just studied my own thumb-action on a spare P3D (not easy to be objective when you're conscious of doing it) and I realised that my natural movement is to use the tip of the thumb and there isn't a problem. Even with the pad of the thumb I'm ok. The trouble starts the closer you get to the joint. I'd suggest modifying your grip so that only the tailcap and none of the body protrudes from your hand nearest the thumb (with more of the torch sticking out of the other end), and using the thumb tip. Unless your switch is very stiff I think that should do it. The switches of all the P3Ds I've had have all been responsive enough to fully click on and off rapidly many times in succession without a single 'misfire'.

Flat tailcaps are by nature slightly trickier to push than protruding tactical ones, but the difference should never be so great that you have to be conscious of it.

Hope this helps.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
cigar grip would probably be better for you

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many people have that problem...just can't flex the thumb enough to get at the recessed switches. I was never aware of it until a friend of mine said "Hey, what's wrong with this switch.. I can't press it!" Then we discovered his thumb just wouldn't bend enough at the last joint. A CPF'er here termed the condition "Flat Thumb". :grin2: Since then, I've passed various lights around to people to see how difficult the switch operation is for them... lots of people have trouble with certain lights, lots of people have no trouble at all.

Look for lights that have protruding tailcaps, those will be a lot easier for you to use in an "icepick" fashion. Some of the ones that I've found are really easy are the EagleTac P100 and T100 series, the Tiablo A9 with the tactical/forward switch, the Dereelight CL1H (somewhat... has a fairly stiff switch), Dereelight DBS, Tiablo A10, EagleTac M2 and M2X with the forward switch, and Nitecore NDI. There are quite a few others.. these are just some of the ones I have lying around here.

Mikellen

Enlightened
You can purchase a protruding tail cap (tactical/forward) switch from Fenix which would make it easier for activation. It would also allow for momentary activation of the light. This protruding switch would negate the tailstanding capability though.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights have much less travel on the switch than the Fenix. The Nitecore D10 I am EDC'ing now has a very small travel so it is easier to push than the long travel switches on most lights.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yep, had the same thing.

Found the LD10 tailswitch very uncomfortable on the poor old thumb joints - so much so that it's been relegated to glove-box duty.

No such trouble with the Gladius, D10 or Extreme, so it's definitely Fenix and not my ageing arthritic joints [hey, I'm not even 50 . . . :sick:]

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have this problem!

Thank God it's not just me. As Qip said - the cigar grip does make it a lot easier to work the switch. Protruding switches are a must - shame the only ones Fenix has are forward clickies - makes changing the setting not as intuitive for me. For the record I find the Lumapower Connexion almost more impossible to click on with my thumb - ice-pick style!

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can flex my thumb okay, but I have a little trouble with the switch on my P2D. With me, it's partly due to the lack of grip on the body. It gets pushed through my fingers before my thumb's far enough in to click it. It's not that big a deal at all, but I notice it more now I have lights with more accessable switches.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for cigar grip.

When first got my L1D (first decent light with a tail switch), I tried it in the "icepick" or overhand hold. I too had trouble getting my thumb bent back enough and being able to press hard enough in that awkward position.

I thought I was going to be resigned to operating the light two-handed, but the the cigar grip (light between the index and middle finger) makes it easy for me to use my thumb. And as a bonus, it's a more natural way to point the light, for me anyway. Never looked back since :thumbsup:

SleazyRider

Newly Enlightened
Ain't nothing wrong with my thumb, it's the flashlight, and I have exactly the same problem. But not with any other light, only with the P3D.

Mikellen offers a solution, for which I am in debt. I could care less about the tailstand function.

Thanks for bringing this problem to light. (And for recognizing the clever pun.)

bpman

Newly Enlightened
Well good to know that I am not alone with this particular maladiction. I tried the cigar hold BUT when I pressed the tail button the light slid out of my fingers and onto the floor (carpeted, thankfully). The tube of the light offers little to no purchase to hold the light.

I think my only option is to get a new light...feel free to use this excuse if your significant other squawks too loudly about another light. "look honey, I can't turn on the light with my thumb..do you want me to get Carpal Tunnel syndrome or something?" I think it is a can't miss..it is your health you are talking about after all.

I like the Nitcore suggestion..I might give it a try. I just hope it's as nice as the Fenix.

Thanks all!

Bpman

Last edited:

hoongern

Enlightened
Perhaps I'm the only one, but I find this "problem" a good thing for me actually - it makes it difficult to accidently turn on my pd30, whereas some of my other lights are too easy to turn on and I'm afraid they'd activate in my pocket..

But yes, sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge to turn it on..

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other thing: If you leave a bit of length on your thumbnail, you can push the switch with the nail itself, instead of the soft end of the thumb. This makes it easier.

litetube

Enlightened
That will kinda be like the long pinky nail which used to be the sign of a cocaine user.:eek:
I dont think that would help him though cause he cant seem to get his thumb bent like that. to use a long nail he would have to really bend the thumb to 90 degrees or so.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

I bought a Fenix P3D Q5 about 9 months ago and am extremely pleased with its performance. Plain and simple, it's bright, cool looking and fun to show off. It really is amazing how many people simply do not know that there are flashlights capable of adjusting brightness output and strobing/SOS features out there. To the masses...the MagLight's..flood adjustability is the pinacle of handlheld illumination technology.

The one issue, is this: When I hold the P3 in my hand (lens end sticking out from my little finger side and tailcap protruding from my thumb side..i.e. the "Ice Pick" grip)..my thumb does not articulate enough to press the tailbutton. Oh I can strain and squeeze but it feels like my thumb is going to dislocate at the first joint. What I end up doing is shifting the light around so that my "trigger finger" is at the tail button and I use it that way. With this method, I have to readjust the light after I get it as bright as I need it, back to the ice-pick grip..otherwise I am lighting up the floor or bending my elbow in a ridiculous manner to get the beam throw where I like it....and then readjust it to the "trigger finger" grip to adjust..and so on and so forth.

Doeas anyone else have this issue with Fenix light or is this a systemic ergonomic problem with all tail swith barell bodied lights? Are some tail switches easier to operate?

Thank you in advance. (Watch, I'll be the only one that has this issue, making me somewhat of an unflexible circus geek).

Bpman

I don´t have the same problem, but for me, Fenix TK20 has the best tailclickie: it´s bigger and the metal tailcap is ergonomically designed to fit yout thumb.

Remember: you should use the TIP of your finger to press the tailclickie.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can purchase the Fenix PD30 tailcap, it fits the P3D and it has two cut-outs to make it easy to click.