• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ~~~ FS: PRICE REDUCED AGAIN: Custom SF L4 Ostar 15+W from the builder + EXTRA

rush

Newly Enlightened
SOLD ~~~ PRICE REDUCED AGAIN: Custom SF L4 Ostar 15+W from the builder + EXTRA

For Sale

Surefire L4 HA, modded with OSRAM Ostar 6-die, LE UW E3B aka "Flaming Fields"

For sale is a Surefire L4 that i have modded with an OSRAM Ostar LED. The build is based on a "Blue Shark" converter running at nearly 1 amp output and a "Remora" UI board that turns it into a 3 stage light with output levels of 10%, 50% and 100% of the Shark maximum output. This means an output power of well over 15 W on high or somewhere close to 1000 lumen (emitter) of light.
The Ostar flux bin is the second highest "QY" and the tint is somewhat "warm" tending to yellow. However on the higher levels the color shifts more to a neutral white that is quite pleasant. The tint is actually good for the outdoors i found.

kl4ostar3.jpg

I found that Surefire made the clip to perfectly fit a small tritium vial. I am potting it with Norland adhesive and due to the geometry of the clip it is pretty safe against damage.
You can choose from green, yellow or ice blue color. Of course if for any reason you prefer no tritium it will come without.

The images show the actual light for sale as the buyer will receive it.
Together with the light you will also get a little card with the details of this build and the individual electrical specs, i. e. the currents at the different drive levels and the approximate electrical power at the LED.

kl4ostar3pill.jpg

Batteries:
The converter works in boost mode and needs a minimum of about 2.7 V. A single rechargeable Li-Ion (3.6 V) will light up the LED, however only in Low and Medium modes. To get the High mode 2 or more cells are necessary, the more the better.
You can use any thread compatible body (Surefire, VG) with the head to use it with 1 to 3 cells.
Due to the very high current through the batteries using 2 cells, i don't recommend regular Li-Ion rechargeables (3.6 V) if you intend to use the High mode for more than a few seconds. They are not rated for currents > 2C (2x rated capacity) and a rapid discharge will shorten their life time.
The LiMn type cells (i. e. AW IMR 16340, 3.7 V) is what i recommend, however the advantage of high current tolerance comes at the expense of a slightly lower capacity. LiMn cells are considered a "safe" chemistry (no protection circuit), however please do not use any unprotected regular Li-Ion rechargeables!

Run times with 2x IMR 16340:
Low: approx. 90 mins
Medium: approx. 30 mins
High: Only for short intervals (overheating)

Beam quality and output:
There are slight artifacts due to the multi-die emitter, but they are only visible on a white wall. The beam is very floody but retains a usable hotspot with a decent throw.

Below is a comparison of the light levels taken in manual mode with daylight settings. High mode is actually even brighter than it appears in the picture, my camera isn't the greatest. The low mode is slightly lower than a stock L4 with a Lux V emitter and brighter than my Lunasol 20 on high.

kl4ostarbeamshotsindoor.jpg

A warning:
As stated, on high the light will overheat quite quickly depending on the ambient temperature. Don't put the light down on high and forget about it. The light will shut off when the converter gets too hot and should come out undamaged but you shouldn't try.
This is not a toy but a powerful lighting tool, but you knew that already didn't you :devil:

Additional information about this mod can be found in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214412
This is the third of these builds i have made, the one from the linked thread above is my own and #2 is just on the way to another fellow CPF member. The larger gap in the head that is shown in the linked thread is not present anymore with this build as you can tell from the picture of the actual light above.
By default i will not seal the threads on the head (the way Surefire does), however it will come with the original rubber O-rings that should at least water proof the head.

A lot of time has gone into this build to make everything fit perfectly into the host with no gaps. I have tested the light on the different levels and it has been running for several hours. I am confident that this light will keep working through any normal duty.

Included:
L4 Ostar, ready for action
ID card with the individual specs of this light
And to get you started in no time i will add to the package
2x AW IMR 16340 cells, freshly charged

20090521001.jpg

Price: US$500 US$470 US$450 US$420 US$400 SOLD inc. PP fees, plus shipping
(insured shipping unless the buyer requests otherwise in which case i cannot take responsibility for lost mail)

First one to post "I'll take it!" will get this beauty. Please contact me for accurate shipping cost prior to sending your payment.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask and thank you for looking! :)

Rush

Last edited:

rush

Newly Enlightened
Updated: Custom SF L4 Ostar 15+W from the builder

Thanks Toby,
it is a very nice torch indeed if i may say so. And if i didn't have one already i would probably keep it even if i intended to sell it in the first place. But i really want to find a good new home for this one :)

I have updated my offer to include a couple of IMR cells that will get you running at full blast without having to hunt for some charged cells. :naughty:
Check out the picture in the post above, this is a sweet package and a light that is pretty special.

Many of you will know the ArcMania 15-3, which is very similar except for the inner workings and the very nice custom body that he made for the main batch of his lights. There have been a lot of posts showing the impressive output of this beast.

You won't be disappointed and you have to see it yourself to believe the amount of light from this pocket sized torch.

Rush

rush

Newly Enlightened
Re: ~~~ FS: PRICE REDUCTION: Custom SF L4 Ostar 15+W from the builder + EXTRA

This is too nice of a light to be sitting in my drawer, lower price to get you guys thinking! :)

Even though this is a beautiful looking piece, it shouldn't be a shelf queen really. It is a very useful light in terms of beam profile and levels of light output.

Now you go! :twothumbs :popcorn:

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brighterisbeter has a great eye !:devil:

rush

Newly Enlightened

Its tough times for everybody at the moment, but i would really like to find a new home for this baby.

So i am bringing it back up with another price reduction, this is really a steal for a very special light if i may say so :)

rush

Newly Enlightened
I need to give this a bump, the L4 Ostar is still looking for a new home.
I know some of you guys would have a lot of fun with this special light. Its not cheap in todays times but i believe it is well priced for both the amount of time and money that have gone into it and the unbelievable output in such a small package.

Come on guys, listen to your heart on this one :)

rush

Newly Enlightened
The light is still available and i am giving it a bump with another nice price reduction. It is probably going to be the last drop.

It is a really useful and versatile torch, you'll love it, i know you will! :)

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
In your listing of the runtimes, you mention the high beam for "SHORT INTERVALS".
Then you mention in a warning that on high the light will overheat "QUITE QUICKLY".

In time increments, what is your definition of a "SHORT INTERVAL" and "QUITE QUICKLY" ?

Thank You.

rush

Newly Enlightened
Thats a fair question and i just tested it at room conditions of 25°C with the light set down on a wooden desk. This way it will run for a bit more than a minute until thermal protection of the converter kicks in. Certainly thats only going to be useful for a short look around. However indoors the highest level often is too bright unless you have a well lit room to begin with.

With better cooling time would not even be an issue, as i have used my own KL4 Ostar build continuously on high until the batteries died when i had it mounted to my bike helmet at close to 0°C.

rush

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I am back with another price drop on this sweet powerful light.
This is still a very small package with a lot of output that will be a good companion in the dark months for us folks on the northern side of the planet :)
Don't be shied away by a limited runtime on the highest level, you will hardly need that much light for a longer time in my opinion, the low is plenty most of the time.
Let me know what you think!

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
will you take $300 for this???
thanks,
Griff

FS: PRICE REDUCED AGAIN: Custom SF L4 Ostar 15+W from the builder + EXTRA
For Sale

Surefire L4 HA, modded with OSRAM Ostar 6-die, LE UW E3B aka "Flaming Fields"

For sale is a Surefire L4 that i have modded with an OSRAM Ostar LED. The build is based on a "Blue Shark" converter running at nearly 1 amp output and a "Remora" UI board that turns it into a 3 stage light with output levels of 10%, 50% and 100% of the Shark maximum output. This means an output power of well over 15 W on high or somewhere close to 1000 lumen (emitter) of light.
The Ostar flux bin is the second highest "QY" and the tint is somewhat "warm" tending to yellow. However on the higher levels the color shifts more to a neutral white that is quite pleasant. The tint is actually good for the outdoors i found.

I found that Surefire made the clip to perfectly fit a small tritium vial. I am potting it with Norland adhesive and due to the geometry of the clip it is pretty safe against damage.
You can choose from green, yellow or ice blue color. Of course if for any reason you prefer no tritium it will come without.

The images show the actual light for sale as the buyer will receive it.
Together with the light you will also get a little card with the details of this build and the individual electrical specs, i. e. the currents at the different drive levels and the approximate electrical power at the LED.

Batteries:
The converter works in boost mode and needs a minimum of about 2.7 V. A single rechargeable Li-Ion (3.6 V) will light up the LED, however only in Low and Medium modes. To get the High mode 2 or more cells are necessary, the more the better.
You can use any thread compatible body (Surefire, VG) with the head to use it with 1 to 3 cells.

rush

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and the interest, i am replying to your PMs.

Griff, i appreciate the offer but considering the cost of the parts alone and not to mention the time that went into making it i don't want to go that much lower really, i am sure you understand :)