Fenix Flashlights Reliable?

cubsfan555

Newly Enlightened
Are Fenix flashlights reliable? I am a little worried with it being from China.
For the record, I ordered a Fenix LD10.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now for all the usual replies !!

Basically, YES.

And you can buy them from the USA.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just order from Fenix-Store and be rest assured with the lifetime guarantee and unparalleled customer service.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Yes, they are reliable. I've had a problem with my Nitecore D10 (a capacitor just fell from the circuit... bummer) and it's still my favorite EDC.

Never had any problems with my Fenixes.

KentS

Newly Enlightened
I've dropped my P3D from the handlebar of my bike in full speed onto a paved road several times (I know - I'm clumsy :eek:). Other than some minor scratches it still works perfectly.

DM51

Flashaholic
Yes, they are reliable...
Never had any problems with my Fenixes.
Well now, that is interesting. Not so long ago, you were singing a completely different tune:

Well I was unimpressed with my L2D Q5 too, and returned it. Good UI? Come on, help me. The L2D has one of the worst UIs I've seen. It doesn't even memorize the last setting, so when you turn it on in the middle of the night you never know if it will turn on high or low or SOS. What a crap.
… the UI is terrible... The one I had didn't turn on in low mode with the bezel loosened, it would turn on in the next level, always. So if I turned it off in medium, when i turned it on again it would be on high.
… Fenix should have better QC. I have had 4 of them and they all are different from the other, in throw, spill, color, brightness AND finish. Not good enough for the amount of fame it has around here.
… I have had a L2D and have even reviewed it with REAL beamshots (not white wall pics). And mine had a terrible memory effect, as stated earlier.
I'm here just sharing my experience with a L2D I bought AND returned to the store because it was full of defects.
This L2D was the most deffective unit I've ever seen. First it wasn't bright enough (the L2T is way brighter), second it had a terrible loud hissing.
And then, I didn't know at the time the "memory" effect was actually a defect, because the manual doesn't say it should turn on low every time, so I judged this was a feature.
If it must turn on low, then add this defect to the list.
... and now, after all that bluster and bashing, you blithely admit you never actually had any problems with any of your Fenixes?

I'll leave other members to make up their own minds about whether or not they consider your statements to be reliable or consistent. My strong advice to you would be to refrain from further posts on this topic.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Yes I've had a problem with ONE L2D I bought, and returned it to the dealer, problem solved. The other Fenixes I've had are great and did not have any other issues. Not liking the UI doesn't mean it's not good.

Since I got a L2D that didn't meet my expectations doesn't mean the brand isn't reliable. Most people who has L2Ds around here are satisfied, so... taste is taste.

My brand new Nitecore D10 R2 just went DEAD after 5 days of use. The integrated circuit just fell from it, and I didn't even bother to discuss this here in CPF. It's still my favorite EDC, though, and it doesn't mean it isn't reliable, since thousands of customers are satisfied with their D10. Problems occur, doesn't matter the brand, nothing is perfect.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had any problems with my Fenix lights. To add to what Marduke said, Fenix-store has been great to deal with over the years. I have a Fenix E0 getting beat up on my keychain for two years now and it still work fine. The only reason I have sold mine in the past is to fund more higher end purchases.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
DM51,
Now THAT'S why CPF is the place to go for info. Thanks for "showing your homework." I wish this type of accoutability (forced, or otherwise) were more common.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I loled from DM's post and as far as the thread goes.... Own quite a few fenix lights and they are all still kicking... My P2d has been dropped many many times!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such a tease... :crackup:

Well, my Fenixes are still working ok. That's one particular thread that impressed me, but I think the OP has removed the images from his source. The thread speaks of the testing and abuse he did with a P3D. Here's the post.

Last edited:

linterno

Enlightened
I own an L2D CE, an L1D Q5 premium and a P2D body which I use from time to time with L2D CE head. These are my emergency flashlights, just because they were supposed to be "good quality and reliable". But, some days ago, when I needed to use it, my L1D Q5 switch failed. Some one replied to my post saying that I should from time to time be testing them, something that in fact I did frequently.

Probably my bad luck, but I would say it is not "completely" reliable. Something is reliable or not.

chanjyj

Enlightened
Real world usage by me (not a torture test, but what happens to my torch on a daily basis):

1. Dropped a TK10 over 5 times from a height of 1m
2. Smashed against metal x-ray machines (those you find at an airport)
3. Threw it on the floor with considerable force
4. Lay submerged for total of over 5 (?) hours
5. Was left on till the battery ran flat. TK10 was enclosed in a black nylon holster on my assault bag (it got turned on by mistake and golly, the nylon was hot!)

The torch is still fine today :twothumbs

chanjyj

Enlightened
So... apart from that, how would you rate your check-in experience on that occasion? LOL

I wasn't at the airport. I was at an airbase (They have REAL TIGHT security) :D

Anyway; my "check-in" experience was quite interesting - I was surrounded by military personnel and military policemen who looked real flustered when they hear the resounding "gong" on their precious X-Ray machine. (And to be honest, I thought my torch was dead at that time too).

The cigar grip suffered a teeny scratch :shakehead