The Mega Nova Solar-Powered LED flashlight (a Maglite D-cell size light)

redlaw55

Newly Enlightened
Solar-powered LED flashlights haven't been very popular. Here is one that appears to be a serious product. The Mega Nova Solar-Powered LED flashlight.

MegaNovacombinedpic.jpg

The Mega Nova Solar-Powered LED flashlight is a d-cell size light that uses 5 leds similiar to those found in certain Husky flashlights. You can see what these LED's look like in the photo of the reflector below. The beam produced by these leds has a purple tint, but is very white. Visually, the brightness appears to be about the same as a good 3-D incandescant flashlight with Krypton bulb.

MegaNovalens.jpg

Operating instructions for the light state, "6-8 hours of direct or indirect sunlight will produce +10 hours of light". I haven't discharged the battery to the point where I could recharge the light with direct or indirect sunlight to verify that statement. But I do know that the battery will hold a charge. The light sat on a shelf for six months, and when duty called, it was down only a little. Another light equipped with three D-size rechargables sat next to it, and wouldn't light at all. And the price of the Mega Nova was only $25, not $50 or more.

For a short time, these solar-powered flashlights were sold at select WalMart stores. Currently, they can be found at a Rite-Aid pharmacy. Catch is, there will be only one in stock. My local Rite-Aid replaced the one I purchased, and added a smaller one with 3 LED's. If you are a collector, this light might be of interest. If you camp or hike a lot, and can't afford batteries, this light could be an alternative. It would also make a good, maintenance-free emergency light, or gift.

There is one drawback... Should the battery fail, the operating instructions state, "This flashlight contains a rechargeable NiCad battery that is non-replaceable". I wonder ? :thinking:

redlaw55

Newly Enlightened
Rather than post a beam shot that won't really help much, I have an an accurate description.

At a distance of three feet, the center spot is 6 inches in diameter with fuzzy edges. Quite normal looking, very white, but with a purple tint.

Surrounding the center spot is an evenly lit spill area, perfectly round with a defined edge, and 48 inches in diameter when the light is 3 feet from the wall. Beyond the edge of the spill, are flower pedals that extend for maybe 12 inches. This pattern is not noticable except at short distances.

You can draw this beam shot on a wall and compare with another light.

At a distance of 22 feet from the wall, the center spot grows to a diameter of 30 inches (the width of a door). The center spot looks the same at this distance, only larger. There is no center hole deformity, artifacts, or out-of-round shape. The spot is evenly distributed, fuzzy on the edges, and simply larger.

The spill area around the center spot becomes very large at 22 feet and lights up the surrounding area. The flower pedals can probably be seen on the ceiling, if you look for them.

I believe this lens shows great effort from the designers. I think also, that the product made it from paper-to-shelf as intended. (Well, almost)... thanks to Mr. Greed, the tailcap doesn't unscrew, and the battery can't be replaced. But the solar-charger is good for 20 years.

For $25, this is a great light. And the section of the flashlight body below the solar-charger is nicely checkered.