Eagletac T100C2: First Impressions, Beamshots and comparisons.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few days ago I got my T100C2 and the M2XC4 from Jay. Before I got this light I thought it was going to be some kind of a mini or TK11's little brother, but to my surprise the eagletac is actually bigger than the Fenix. :eek:oo: Still cannot believe it.

Had it for couple of days and this is what I can say about it:

Pros:
-Lots of throw.
-Beam pattern and tint are nearly perfect: no cree rings, smooth spot-to-flood transition. Emitter is completly centered.
-Regulated from 3.7v-8.4v, maintains the same brightness.
-Great heatsinking, the light doesn't get hot at all even after 10 minutes of use, just warm.
-Very responsive FWD Clicky.
-2 modes simple usage.
-Feels strong in hand.
-Machining and anodyzing were great in mine.
-Can take variety of batteries, all fitted with no problems including the 2xCR123 magazine.
-Tailcap lockout.

Cons:
-Not what I would call very bright, has a tight spot and lots of throw, but lacks of overall output. This is a clear example of a Lux vs Lumens case.
-Cannot tailstand.
-Hotspot is rather too small for my taste.
-Cigar grip ring is hard to remove.
-Didnt came with lanyard or spare rubber boot. I wasn't expecting that for $47 anyways.

The closest I have to this one is the Fenix TK11R2. So I'm going to focus on comparing these two flashlights. Of course you should consider their costs, $47 vs $79.

*Unpacking*: It came in a nice grey box, with a Cool white 6000k sticker on the side indicating the tint. Oppossed to my M2XC4 which came with tons of extras, there were only some spare orings and a 2xCR123 magazine inthe box. I was expencting a holster or a lanyard, or at least a spare rubber boot and clicky. But I cannot really complain considering it only costs $47. Much lower than almost any quality "Tactical" flashlight in the market.

p1010464.jpg

*Construction and feel*: The first thing I noticed was the anodyzing in all the threads, which is a good point to start with. The machining is great and I couldn't find any dent or imperfection on it. The light feels solid and reliable in hand, but somehow not as tough as my TK11. The head of the T100C2 doesn't look too strong or if it will survive a hard drop as opossed to my Fenix which has a very thick wall of aluminium around the reflector, giving it that "baller" look. The cigar ring is made from a strong plastic with a grippy coating, looks good but I wonder if it will endure the use a lanyard attached to it.

p1010507.jpg

L: T100C2: Amazingly, the T100C2 body wall is thicker than the Fenix.

p1010508.jpg

R: T100C2: Both tailcap seems to be constructed the same way.

p1010490.jpg

The T brothers

p1010501g.jpg

So the XP-E is small. but how small? here:

p1010483.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1376/p1010501g.jpghttp://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2645/p1010465.jpgThis small.

*Operation*: Operation in just like Fenix T series. Screw it tigh and get the rubo mode, loosen a bit and you get the low mode. With the only difference that if you unscrew the T100C2 head enough it will loose contact and will not turn on in neither modes. This is because of the anodyzed threads and a separate switching system loaded with springs and contact points, unlike the TK11 which uses the threads as contact. I think is is an advantage over the Fenix because the circuit board is not exposed, having less chance to receive any damage in case of a drop.

p1010465.jpg

*Performance*:
Throw vs Overall output: This is another example of a Throw vs overall output case. The T100C2 can throw very far, even more than my TK11R2. The hotspot is so tight and intense it can almost beat my M2XC4. However, it doesn't perform as well at overall output, flood is rather weak and in my ceiling bounce test it did the same job ad my JETIIIPro (which is not very bright neither), but far away from my TK11. I think is this because the emitter is being driven at a lower current and the reflector is designed to produce a small and intense hotspot.

Runtime, regulation: My multimeter is damaged right now, so I can't take any readings. To my eyes, it maintains the same brightness using either 18650 or 2xRCR123. If the stated runtime of the T100C2 is true, then it will have a hard time competing with the TK11 which did almost 3 hours at full regulation on turbo. Haven't done any test yet but I am sure the runtime will be longer when using a 18650 cell instead of 2xCR123.

*Beamshots:*
I've taken some beamshots of the T100C2 with the TK11R2 and the JetIIIPro.

p1010411o.jpg

L to R: JetIIIPro IBS, TK11R2, T100C2

p1010412v.jpg

p1010413.jpg
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9931/p1010413.jpg

p1010388.jpg

L: TK11 - R: T100C2

*Ceiling bounce test*
I decreased the exposition to show better the difference in brightness. All pics are taken with the same setting.

p1010445p.jpg

JETIIIPro Max

p1010446.jpg

T100C2 Turbo

p1010447.jpg

TK11R2 Turbo

p1010448.jpg

M2XC4 High

p1010449s.jpg

M2XC4 Turbo

p1010450.jpg

Stanley HID

*Outdoos shoots* About 10 yards, using same settings

p1010560j.jpg

JetIIIPro

p1010561.jpg

TK11R2

p1010562.jpg

T100C2

Underexposed:
p1010567x.jpg

JETIIIPro

p1010568f.jpg

TK11R2

p1010569.jpg

T100C2

*More Pics*
p1010516.jpg

p1010454i.jpg

p1010457.jpg

p1010514.jpg

Get these if you are going to join a tactical team..:cool:

Overall the T100C2 is a great flashlight. I haven't done runtime test to it but I'm pretty sure it wont dissapoint me. Would Rate it 9/10. Compared to the TK11R2, the fenix is better in many aspects, but this one costs about $30 more. If you want a throwy, compact, not so expensive and high quality flashlight, get the T100C2, for the price you cant go wrong, this is an amazing deal.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I got this light I thought it was going to be some kind of a mini or TK11's little brother, but to my surprise the eagletac is actually bigger than the Fenix. :eek:oo: Still cannot believe it.

p1010490.jpg

As I said - it's huge! Bigger than TK11 and much bigger than T10L. Not to mention P100C2...

BUZ

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, should be getting mine in the next day or two.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
richardcpf,
excellent review, I am very interested in both lights however I noticed that you said that the Eagletac has a throwing edge over the TK11R2 but in the outdoor beamshots it appears to my eyes that the T100C2 has the largest (diameter wise) hotspot. I expected the T100C2 would have a smaller hotspot than the TK11 if it has a slight throwing edge although it can be hard to tell from beamshots. In real world usage is there a big difference in the hotspot size when using the light at a distance and which light has the advanage if there is one?

Also is the tint really that blue/green in actual usage like it appears in your beamshot? Thanks.

JKL

Enlightened
Thanks Richard,

a nice review and interesting comparison.
icon14.gif

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
richardcpf,
excellent review, I am very interested in both lights however I noticed that you said that the Eagletac has a throwing edge over the TK11R2 but in the outdoor beamshots it appears to my eyes that the T100C2 has the largest (diameter wise) hotspot. I expected the T100C2 would have a smaller hotspot than the TK11 if it has a slight throwing edge although it can be hard to tell from beamshots. In real world usage is there a big difference in the hotspot size when using the light at a distance and which light has the advanage if there is one?

Also is the tint really that blue/green in actual usage like it appears in your beamshot? Thanks.

It is really weird that the photos came out like that. The T100C2 doesnt have the common defined circle spot, but a very sharp and tight spot at the middle then it smoothly goes to flood. What is called the "hotspot" is actually much smaller than the TK11's, but the circle around it is also pretty bright, so the camera captured it as a part of the hotspot.

Here is an example:
-The TK11 does 12k lux spot and 200 lux flood.
-The T100C2 does 15k lux spot, 900lux spot-flood zone, and 100lux flood.
This is what makes the camera capture a larger hotspot than its real life size.

In real life usage, I would prefer a larger hotspot and brighther flood because it will produce a larger iluminating area. Rarely we need to shine at very long ranges, thats a job for spotlights or super throwers.

The tint is pure white in both of my Eagletac. My TK11R2 has a yellowish tint and my JetIIIPro has a purpleish one.

JFD140

Newly Enlightened
Hoplsters for eagletac T100C2

Looking for nylon holsters for the eagletac T100c2 in the range of $5-$20.

Im not sure what fits it.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Richardcpf, thanks for clarifying that about the hotspot size. That makes sense what you said about the spot-flood transition area making the hotspot appear larger than it really is.

Also my mistake when talking about the tint, I should clarify that I was referrering to if the Stanley HID when asking if it is as blue/green in real world usage as it appears in the picture. The tint on the Eagletacs looks fine.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stanley has an 8000K bulb, so it does make colors seem pretty strange up close. However, farther away it is not as noticeable.
It should be a fair amount coolar than the LEDs, which are around 6000K.

gumdal

Newly Enlightened
Great review, it is very helpful.

I was thinking of buying either TK11 or T100C2, am confused.

My requirements are night outdoors, basically for herping / insects etc. in dark nights. I do not know of what hotspots and diameter's or stuff like that since I have never handled these sort of flashlights before.

Which one do you guys suggest me? Price wise I found T100C2 affordable, but will it serve my purpose?

Also, I am from India, where can I buy the product?

Thanx,
Raj Pawan

ky70

Banned
...If you want a throwy, compact, not so expensive and high quality flashlight, get the T100C2, for the price you cant go wrong, this is an amazing deal.

Thanks for the review. My father stopped by my place last night and I pulled out the T100C2 and told him to keep his eye on this tree top apprx. 200 feet away and 100 feet in the air...the T100C2 lit that tree top up and father drove away shaking his head (at both the performance of the light and that his son was now "lost" in another hobby).

BTW, I removed the cigar ring from mine as I prefer to hold the light inside my fist (which the cigar ring would prohibit) and if I want to use a cigar grip, I can do that too as the ring is not needed to grip it that way.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Great review, it is very helpful.

I was thinking of buying either TK11 or T100C2, am confused.

My requirements are night outdoors, basically for herping / insects etc. in dark nights. I do not know of what hotspots and diameter's or stuff like that since I have never handled these sort of flashlights before.

Which one do you guys suggest me? Price wise I found T100C2 affordable, but will it serve my purpose?

Also, I am from India, where can I buy the product?

Thanx,
Raj Pawan

I would imagine it depends on how far away your specimens are. If you're trying to spot a snake in a tree from 50 meters away this dollar for dollar your best bet. If you want to study specimens up close the tiny hotspot may not be the best thing. I suppose it will be fine for insects but not so good for larger specimens like reptiles.

Look in the CPF Marketplace for dealers. The one I use is http://www.pts-flashlights.com/

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think that the xp-g would work well here.
But how to be 'deferential' to the big-boys, the $$$ makers? [T20C2 mkII, P20x2 mkII]

Answer: use a compromise CCT, 5000K outdoor-white R4 xp-g
~5000K (3A, 3D) splits the difference between traditional neutral-white (5A) and highest output bins of cool-white

gumdal

Newly Enlightened
I was going through 4sevens.com and contacted the mods there since T100C2 Mark II model was not available. They say the following (in mail to me):

"Raj,
We no longer sell eagletac lights due to serious quality and supply issues. I would recommend the Olight M20 instead from 4sevens.com. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

and in other mail he also suggests:

"Raj,
Thank you forOf those three I would recommend you look at the Quark only. It has the highest outputs, runtimes and quality of the three. Additionally the warranty is the longest at 10 years."

They recommended:

1. Olight M20 (its too costly)
2. Quark 123-2 Tactical R5 edition

What do you experts think about it?

@recDNA
Ya my requirements are just as you said. To spot the specimen at distance I have to first use the flashlight. But will it do good well enough at a near distance, say at 3 - 4 meters once the specimen is spotted?

@MichaelW
I am really novice over flashlights, I have a very basic doubt, what is the difference between natural white and cool white, the different modes which various flashlights provide? Which one should I prefer and depending on what factors should I select?