Fenix TA30 Review

cansdell

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I have the new Fenix TA30, and I have written a bit of a review. I also took some beam shots and have put them in my Picasa album, and will try to link them in this review.

Construction

The Fenix TA30 feels solid. The main weight feels to be towards the head when one holds it in the hand. Fenix has implemented their new 90° revolving dimmer system, which is located on the head between the reflector and the handle. To use it, you have to grip it hard and turn to one of the four settings. There is good protection for the hard lens with the protrusions around the rim of the lens. The handle is knurled and offers good grip. On the inside where the batteries go, there are springs for both the negative and positive contacts. My guess is that this is to do with enhancing the impact resistance. The reflector is finely textured, and the LED visually looks to be perfectly centered.

Beam
The spot part of the beam has excellent throw, and the spill is also very useful. The best demonstration is to look at the beam shots of the TA30 and the other torches I have. The colour is fairly white when compared to halogen bulbs. I was impressed at how much brighter it is when compared to my LD20. Obviously there is the difference of the three 3V lithium batteries in the TA30 compared to the two AA 1.5 volt batteries in the LD20, but considering that the stated lumen difference is 225 compared to 180, the TA30 has a noticeably brighter spot and spill. I suspect that this may have something to do with the size of the reflector.

In the field
I mounted the Fenix TA30 for the 15km night time commute to work, to see how it compares to the Fenix LD20. The mount I am using is a TwoFish Lockblocks mount. After riding a short distance, I realised that this mount is not sturdy enough to keep the beam steady over the bumps, but has plenty of strength to keep it secure. If you are going to mount this torch on a bike, I recommend a different mounting system.

The beam is noticeably brighter than the LD20, and lights the path up really well. What is most noticeable is the spill light, which really enhances visibility. This torch has springs inside to help cope with impact, and I could hear the batteries moving with the impact absorbing springs as I rode over the bumps.
I have also used it for night walks in the Australian bush with my dog. For this purpose, the TA30 is really appropriate as the high level of brightness allows me to keep on track. The dimmer system is fairly handy too, allowing you to preset the brightness you want before turning it on.

Conclusion
The best uses for this torch I believe would be for bushwalking, search and rescue, and military uses such as weapons mounting. I have not mounted it on a rifle yet, but will give feedback if I do. It could be used on a pushbike, but one would need a very solid mount due to the weight of the torch. Overall this is an excellent torch with a solid build quality and an excellent beam. The only omission I can think of is the absence of a pouch to carry it on your belt.

TmsDY4AtPKItmNhSxQ3Pbg

Fenix LD20 at 180 lumens, Fenix TA20 at 150 lumens, Fenix TA30 at 225 lumens
7uECD6FBP6mpV07YBzRh4g

5l6y0RkB7HXvRRaj8A6vtw

3y7IAn3Ov1NMG7VC9DM3hQ

tToqNNzB0ixrAKojvDhxNA

mTtcH4HPtsfYWHWY-bEfsg

Fenix TA30, mounted on bike with twofish lockblock

aiGoXoz6gtYh_F4zM9DMHw

Maglite 2D halogen, ISO 100, 10 sec at f / 8.0

nXl2ZkjL5AIIdJOOP06bVg

Maglite 4D LED, ISO 100, 10 sec at f / 8.0