PayPal fraud attempt!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like this, don't click on it if you get it.

payopalo.jpg

payopalo2.jpg

Pretty badly done.

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
The 'protect your account' section on the right is a nice touch :ironic:

Thank you for letting us know. Many of us on the forum live day by day with Paypal so any info like this is always useful.

savumaki

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up- have not seen that one yet but if it makes its way here it will get the normal treatment, :poof:.

My normal course of action should I have any doubts is to go to the web site thru my own browser.

callmaster

Enlightened
Well, I've had my account restricted before and I did wonder if it was spam/phishing link etc.

But when I double checked both the email/website I found it was actually restricted. After verification, and 4 calls to china. It was set back to normal.

Do beware though, always log in using the main page.

gbleeker

Newly Enlightened
Just so everyone is aware:

Anytime Paypal emails you with an email they address the email with your name on the account.. not some general "dear Paypal member" junk.

Also, they won't ever ask you for account information.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
I get tons of those on a weekly basis. I don't bother anymore. I just delete them.
If paypal actuallydoes have issues with my account, I've noticed that when ever I log into the real paypal site, I get a notice or a message that tells me something needs attention regarding my account.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: So what new?

I've gotten them for the last two years. Note that they don't use your account name or real name. As stated, never click on a link in email even if it does seem real. I always go to the site via my browser.

I did catch something once that after logging on to the real Paypal, the content replacing virus would detect that and intercept the real paypal content and replace it with a form stating that my account needed updating. I was suspicious and found out about the virus. After cleaning, the form was gone.

The next big threat seems to be viruses that attack poorly secured routers that replace its tables with IPs that redirect you to web server filled with "fake" sites to steal identities and such.

Beware!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:Thanks guys, it looooks like I need a new keybooooard, this oooone has a proooooblem with a sticky ooooo.:)

Back on topic, my point was that if money is taken from your account it will inconvenience you more than it will inconvenience PayPal.