Hiker looking for flashlight

KMWong

Newly Enlightened
Dear all,

I'm a new comer and new to flashlight. I am a experienced hiker and hunting for a suitable flashlight. I always hike in a dark forest and need to search the way. I need a middle price range, bright and light flashlight. Also, it is a must if the light beam can reach a long distance with a big angle. Any suggestion?

Streamlight Scorpion, ProPolymer 4AA LED / 4AA, Twins Task, Inova X5, Arc LSH...which one is suiting my needs?

Thanks!

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you either need a Surefire G2 ($30) or a Tigerlight ($100).

The Surefire G2 is pretty good, made out of nitrolon (a hard plastic) and has a nice beam and throw. It uses 2 123 batteries, and lasts about an hour.

The Tigerlight is a rechargeable light made out of anodized aluminum. It can be recharged by an outlet or a cigarette adapter in the car. I don't have the runtime here, but surely someone will know... It is MUCH brighter than the G2 and has a very good throw.

Welcome to CPF! (and watch your wallet...)

Dan

KMWong

Newly Enlightened
Ha Ha....thanks for you quick reply!! My wallet always empty at the month end...HA HA

How about those listed? I don't needed the best, but want the good one.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I went hiking in the dark, I found I really needed 2 lights to complete the experience.

Far reaching lights virtually eliminate 1W Luxeons for that job, even if they're reflectored... 5W reflectored LSs can do (like a Space Needle/II mod or Elektrolumen's Blaster VI)...

I would recommend carrying a Blaster VI with you and spare AA batteries, if you want just a single light to carry. It'll be more than enough to get you through a medium 4-5 hour hike in the dark, with great throw (100+ feet) and good spill light to walk through.

Or if you go the dual route, you can carry a BB400 with spare batteries and then a longer reaching light for when you want that long beam throw, like an UltraStinger or Tigerlight. The US will last you about 2 hours, and the TL will last you about 1-1.25 hours, so it's not a light you want to use constantly if you intend to hike for longer than that period...

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of those listed, the Streamlight Scorpion is the one with the most throw, very similar to the G2. If you need a similar one immediately, goto your local WalMart and get a Brinkmann Legend LX. Those three I have listed are on par with each other.

Dan

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want LED, how about EL Blaster II for throw and Inretech 2AA light for a flood light? They both have good run times, and I have heard that the EL Blaster II outthrows a Mag 3 or 4 D cell light. The Inretech with lithiums is very good for walking at night because it has a nice broad beam.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for at least one headlamp. You may look dorky, but at least you have both your hands free.
(I have a Petzl and it works great)

-Jason

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a headlamp the PT Aurora is very good. It is very small, and weighs almost nothing. It has a nice wide beam and can be adjusted up and down so that you can aim it where ever you want. A review of it can be found here.

jtice

Flashaholic
I would also recomend getting an LED headlamp... for Handsfree, eve, smooth, flood of light. Great for lighting up the path in front of you, and reading maps and GPS.
And then get handheld flashlight for "throw" , lighting things at a distance.

I'm sure some people here can recommend one of each kind that would be great. Id get an LED headlamp with at least 3 LED's. You probably wont be able to use LED's for a long "throw" light,,, unless you want to spend the $$$.

KMWong

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
logicnerd411 said:
Of those listed, the Streamlight Scorpion is the one with the most throw, very similar to the G2. If you need a similar one immediately, goto your local WalMart and get a Brinkmann Legend LX. Those three I have listed are on par with each other.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Scorpion is similar with G2? That's great...

KMWong

Newly Enlightened
I am concerning about the throw of LED light. No doubt its run time is cool... Is there any flashlight with the average on throw, bright and runtime? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
If you want LED, how about EL Blaster II for throw and Inretech 2AA light for a flood light? They both have good run times, and I have heard that the EL Blaster II outthrows a Mag 3 or 4 D cell light. The Inretech with lithiums is very good for walking at night because it has a nice broad beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

KMWong

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I got 1 moonlight and 1 princeton tech solo. Moonlight can provide sufficient light in a limited distance. While the Solo is not such good. I'm not satisify with the light throw and the brightness.

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
You can compromise a wee bit, by getting an LED headlamp, and use an incandescant flashlight for the throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

paulr

Flashaholic
EL Blaster II is a great light, but ridiculous for hiking (way too heavy).

Most of the time when hiking, throw isn't important at all. A dim LED is plenty to see where you're going. People spend months hiking the whole Appalachian Trail with nothing but a Photon II.

I'd go for a small, low-powered LED handheld light or headlamp, like a CMG Ultra, PT Aurora, that kind of thing. They will run for hours and hours and be more than enough to light your way. Put a brighter light in your pocket for when you want to light up something in the distance. You probably won't use for more than a few seconds here and there, so runtime for the bright light isn't very important.

My favorite bright pocket light has been a UKE 2L which is very lightweight and waterproof. Other possibilities include Surefire E2, Pelican M6, and so forth.

KMWong

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Put a brighter light in your pocket for when you want to light up something in the distance. You probably won't use for more than a few seconds here and there, so runtime for the bright light isn't very important.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. Usually, I use my moonlight in general. I have an experience that I hardly to find a way in a dark forest with my moonlight. That's why I hope to find a long throw flashlight.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep suggesting an Arc LSH-P for the waterproof factor and the fact that it is bright and has a decent throw. I don't have a problem lighting up stuff up to 30-40 feet away. Another selling point of the LSH that would work for hikers is the fact you can purchase the AA powerpack for it and use batteries that are consistent with other gear like a GPS. The runtime on AA batteries is reduced but i still think it's nice to utilize consistent batteries when out in the woods. I personally would carry the LSH-P or my C2 (I think this light might be overkill for a hike though) with 123A's and a spares carrier, Two Arc AAA LE's (one stowed with fresh batt's) and my Petzl Zipka for hands free illumination.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened
The farthest throwing "not so expensive" LED light with a long run time has got to be the CMG Reactor 3. It uses 3 AA's which allows it to run at full brightness practically forever (about 20 hours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). It's side spill is as green as the Inova X5 white led is blue. But the hotspot is white (weird). And you can get these for about $25 to $30.

The ARC LSH has a tighter hotspot therefore looks a tad brighter, is much much smaller but costs alot more.

The X5 is nice but it doesn't go very far. (throw)

As mentioned, the Scorpion is like a G2. I have a G2 and I love it. However, unless you plan on hiking for only about 50 mins, you better take extra lithiums.

I'd pass on a headlamp unless you plan on doing more climbing than hiking. Besides, I'm with flownosaj, they look rather dorky. Unless you're digging for coal or rock climbing of course! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Zeppert

Enlightened
KMWong,

Help me out by giving me a little more information. What's your "middle price"

1) How much $ do you want to spend?

2) How many hours will you be hiking in the dark?

3)Do you really want only 1 flashlight/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif??? Or two?

4) What have you been using?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe checking into a Blaster II could be worthwhile... It's got a good range of illumunation (50+ feet), and on 3 4.5Ah Cs, it can get you at least 6 hours of bright runtime...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree with tsg about the lsh-p with regards to its waterproofness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif if you're taking it hiking its very likely it'll be exposed to moisture in varying amounts, and you don't want your light crapping out on you at a bad time. i've submerged my LSH-P to 2 metres of water without any leaking whatsoever. just make sure the kroll is screwed into the tsp as tightly as possible.