do you program your ui's?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thinking, of all the programable ui's I have (er, not that many really), I only reprogram the IBS on a consistent basis (Jetbeam proST III). The others i've decided on the 'optimal' levels, and pretty much leave them alone.
The jetbeam I keep tweaking. Just this evening I was riding back to work after dinner (I'm a lucky office worker who can bike home for meals) and I didn't want to turn my main bike light on so I'd set my jetbeam as a white blinker. 5min later back at the office, i re-set it to low-med-warning, more or less just out of enjoyment really. Then I posted this...

if you have been, thanx for reading...
-Linger

kashmir

Newly Enlightened
I've got a few programmable lights and I also am reprogramming (playing with?) my Jetbeam Jet II with IBS. I think I reset the UI so often because there are 3 levels or stages that can be set and it's so easy to do!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've only changed the programming on my LF3XT once or twice. It's been so long now I'll have to find the instructions (or Bud's fine flowchart) if I want to make major changes.

Geoff

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I most certainly do not.
I just barely trust myself to use a light that's programmable much less try to fiddle with settings.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: barely trust myself to use [it]
heh, yeah I figured as much.
But do you still see these lights as being more attractive b/c they 'could' do so much more?

Best,
L

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:)
No not usually. Programmable settings and features turn me the other way 90% of the time.

I am a big fan of simple lights with 2, maybe 3 settings. A bonehead UI that you click thru each time starting on low. I am in the minority around here.

Fancy UI's that can do anything you want are nice for most but this is one area of life I want nice and basic. Look at the GDuP for instance. That's what I like. No screwing it up, no click clicky clickerino click press hold programming frustration for me!
If that's the kind of light I'm thinking about buying then I better like the default settings or it's a no-go.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I fall into the group of users that mainly sees value in programability only for getting the settings that I want, then leaving it alone.

It can be fun at first playing with the multiple options, but I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of us who consistently play with a light after the honeymoon is over and our preferred settings are established.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 time set, then leave alone
(why change?)

1st level: total minimum
2nd: medium power
3rd: high output with at least 2 hours runtime (= ~ 900mA-1A from the 18650)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be in reference to my Jet III Pro ST (great light!) it all depends on the situation IMHO, if i am going for an extended fishing trip and dont want to load myself down with too may spare cells (though i will carry one spare cell), i would program the light to have just enough light to do what needs to be done, 1st mode would be just enough light to see the paths in (usually go in at night), 2nd mode would be 50% if more light is needed and 3rd mode max for those 'just in case' moments. For tying rigs and all that, the E01 on the neck lanyard or clipped to hat is used (spare AAA in tackle box wrapped in cling film).

Once at the fishing site, and dependent upon conditions, i program my other light, the Jet I Pro IBS v2.0 to 'locator' mode (also with spare AA in cling film in the pack), you know, the one quick blink every 8 seconds or so and attached to my pack so that no matter where i wander to cast my lines, i can locate my pack in the dark, the Jet III stays holstered at my waist.

So that's it for my programming habits, program them to suit the need, also note, carry 3 lights and spare cells :D

Mike V

Enlightened
I programmed my IBS the day I got it and never altered it. It is perfect for me.

Lowest, Highest, Locator flash.

Actually I can't even remember how you program it.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fall into the group of users that mainly sees value in programability only for getting the settings that I want, then leaving it alone.

It can be fun at first playing with the multiple options, but I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of us who consistently play with a light after the honeymoon is over and our preferred settings are established.

+1

I sit down with the manual, program the light to how I want it and leave it
alone afterwards.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the perfect setting and leave it there. The single exception so far is when I went lava tubing, I did re-program specifically for that, then programmed back again afterwards.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do we program em ? :confused:

Wouldn't it be rather pointless to pay the extra money for a light with an extensive programable UI ........

and then NOT program it ? :confused: :huh:

That'ed be like NOT programing the pre-set buttons on a radio ............. :confused: :ohgeez::duh2:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This thread sparked me into doing a little reprogramming, just for the heck of it. Good to relearn the procedures, anyway. Wouldn't be good to be wanting or needing a change and not remember how to do it. It reminded me just how nice this LF3XT really is.

Geoff

Dan Harris

Newly Enlightened
We don't need no stinkin' programs -

Press a little - low
Press harder - max

Works just fine for my A2 and L1 :thumbsup:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
heh, nice one.

Seems like i'm on both sides of this discussion. I 'optimize' my settings and leave them, exept the jetIIIst, which I reset as appropriate.

This leads to another question - where do you put a copy of the UI so that you can look it up if you've forgotten?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I considered making a little cheat sheet to put in the light. Should do that right now while I'm thinking about it.

Geoff

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 time set, then leave alone
(why change?)

1st level: total minimum
2nd: medium power
3rd: high output with at least 2 hours runtime (= ~ 900mA-1A from the 18650)

That's pretty much how I like it too.

On my Jet-I Pro (my EDC) I have:
First: Minimum
2nd: Medium - useful output and reasonable run time.
3rd: Maximum - I only use this when needed and only for as long as I need it due to short run time from the 14500 cell.

I can't remember the last time I changed these settings - they work pretty damn well for anything I want to do with that light. Of course I also have other lights that I can use like my ROP low for lots of light with 2+ hours run time.

Last edited: