proton pro?

Marduke

Flashaholic
80-90ish, eyeball guesstimation.

Newest ones may be a bit more since premium bins are more likely being sourced these days.

hahnyc87

Newly Enlightened
80-90ish, eyeball guesstimation.

Newest ones may be a bit more since premium bins are more likely being sourced these days.

Kind of disappointing. Not sure if it is worth $50-$60... Whatcha think?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Pro's one of my favorites because of its versatility. No, it's not the brightest, but most of the time I'm not using it for that purpose. Its ability to ramp to a very low level with white or red LEDs, for extra long runtime, is what I especially like. It also has a great pocket clip and is slightly smaller than most 1AA lights. Add the side clicky and it's almost perfect. About the only things I'd change is to have the ability for the white LED to come on at a low level, instead of high, and have a smoother beam (some rings).

Geoff

Burgess

Flashaholic
I carry one every single day.

Truly a Unique flashlight design. :thumbsup:

Nothing else like it.

And, BTW . . . .

never felt that it wasn't Bright enough.

Get one. It's 50 dollars well spent.

_

curtispdx

Enlightened
I really like the UI on this one. True, the beam is ugly but it's a great light to keep in my pocket. A few months ago I used it (on low red) as a nightlight while on vacation with the kids. It worked great!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Kind of disappointing. Not sure if it is worth $50-$60... Whatcha think?
Depends what you want it for. If you think you will need the red occasionally, then it's definitely worth every penny.

If you want a light that's efficient, small enough to carry all the time, with a superb finish that looks great and won't chew up your pockets, then it's still worth every penny.

If you just want something different with a great UI, the Proton Pro could be for you.

If (as it sounds from your comment), you're more concerned about output and perhaps throw, then you might have to look elsewhere. Having said that, I've just compared it to my D10 and there's not that much of a difference.

Dan FO

Enlightened
The new Proton Pro (it will actually say Proton Pro on it, not just Proton) is a great little task light. The clip is one of the best and the UI is idiot proof. The ultra low is superb and the high is good enough for any everyday task. I think the new ones use a Cree Q5.

dtsoll

Enlightened
I wonder why they don't us an op reflector to smooth the beam a bit, having said that, I have one and I love it. Its a great light!! Doug:)

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprising no one on here mentioned the fact is is a cell crusher. That is one of the few caveats with this light, that and the UI would have been better reversed to come on low white first or if it had a memory. Other than those issues, it is a nice light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I wonder why they don't us an op reflector to smooth the beam a bit, having said that, I have one and I love it. Its a great light!! Doug:)

When I first got mine the previous owner (bondr0060) had given the reflector a spritz with hair spray. This did a lot to smooth the beam, at the expense of a bit of throw. I washed it off, but have been meaning to try it again. If only my wife used hair spray.

It does, indeed, crush a cell some. I've got an Eneloop and a few Duracells reserved for use in it, because they've already been dented.

Geoff

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think that has been solved with the "new" Proton Pro. (the one that has "Proton Pro" on the light, 2009 model)

Any other changes? Review or pictures somewhere?

I never had a problem with the original model. It doesn't leave any worse mark than any other strong rear spring.

Dan FO

Enlightened
Any other changes? Review or pictures somewhere?

I never had a problem with the original model. It doesn't leave any worse mark than any other strong rear spring.

My bad, it just says Proton on it, I picked it up at the 2009 SHOT Show from LRI.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
The Photon Pro is a excellent light. Not intended to be a lumen monster, there isn't much for heatsinking there.To me, 70 lumens is a lot of light, imho. It's a practical light for practical people. I gave mine more flood with a USVOH and minor alterations. If you are comfortable with soldering, the straight Cree emitter upgrade is very easy. Nekomane has some great pictures of the innards in this thread. LRI loves liquid thread lock!!!!!! https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182920&page=6

heckboy

Enlightened
The Proton is an interesting light in my collection. I have several more sophisticated and brighter lights, however, the Proton remains my EDC work light and lives clipped inside my back pocket. It is the combination of readily available battery, although I generally use eneloops, the size, and narrow spot beam that keep this light #1 for my daily use.

It is not a throw monster as the reviews and tests will tell you. The beam is ringy if you are a white wall hunter but in practical use it has never been an issue for me. BTW, I like that the light comes on full bright. I believe that the design intent would be that if you are worried about your night vision then the red LED should be used which does come on low first.

Later,
HB