Just got my macbook, need suggestions.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my macbook and I was wondering what anti spyware and anti virus software I should use on it if any? I have no experience with macs so any help is appreciated.

Dan FO

Enlightened
I just got my macbook and I was wondering what anti spyware and anti virus software I should use on it if any? I have no experience with macs so any help is appreciated.

None, just set your updates for daily and do any security updates when they come in.

I have a MacBook Pro and a 1 week old aluminum MacBook. I have been running Macs for years and never use anti virus software.

winston

Enlightened
None, just set your updates for daily and do any security updates when they come in.

I have a MacBook Pro and a 1 week old aluminum MacBook. I have been running Macs for years and never use anti virus software.

Yep.

If you wanted to go that extra mile, there's ClamXav. It's open-source, which is cool.

I'd steer clear of anything by Norton.

-Winston

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't run AV on my macs and have never had any problems so far. If you're really paranoid or if you share files with windows PCs, you can try ClamXav which you can download for free (although, I'm not sure if its updated anymore). But having said that, I know people who run ClamXav and never found a single virus.

EDIT: winston beat me to it!

mechBgon

Enlightened
Do be wary of Trojan Horse programs. For example, if you come to a web page that suggests you need a _________ (Flash Player update, video codec, etc) to view the content, don't take their word for it, as this is a known modus operadi for installing a DNSChanger trojan on both Mac and Windows. There are also Mac and Windows trojans that suggest your computer is compromised and that you need to download and run their dealiebob to disinfect it (and they charge for their useless dealiebob, of course). So keep your wits about you :) and based on Safari's unimpressive security record, I'd use some other browser instead of Safari.

computernut

Enlightened
I've owned Macs for years and used to run an anti-virus product but all it did was find PC viruses in my internet cache. I haven't ran anything in years. As already mentioned, just watch what attachments you run. Make sure you are running the OSX firewall turned on. I run mine in the mode where you select what programs are allowed out. Also make sure you have auto-updates turned on. I think the default is check once a week but I have mine set to once a day.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not related to virus, but because you said you haven't any experience with Mac...

I hope using it is a great experience for you, with many delightful surprises.

A few helpful & fun links:
discussions.apple.com (for slow but usually sympathetic assistance)
www.macrumors.com (for juicy rumors of new things Apple)

www.versiontracker.com (reliable for shareware, but check the as-shipped software first)

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
typing this on my 2 week old 13in aluminum macbook and very pleased so far. Built my last 3 desktop xp machines and had a fine experience using them. when the last one died i bought an Asus laptop with vista. I had nothing but blue screens and crashes for 3 days and took it back. talked to the geeks and they said osx was better than vista. so far I agree :)

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used Macs for eons, and NEVER have used anti-virus software.

mechBgon

Enlightened
If anyone's interested in trying one, I see F-Secure has a beta available: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001686.html Their Windows security software is very good; I'd expect good things from this as well. In today's age of clickjacking, cross-site scripting attacks and so forth, classic viruses and Trojans aren't the only kind of danger out there. Last year, for example, we saw an exploit that worked on Mac, Windows and Linux, via several web browsers (IE, FireFox, Opera).

If I were using a Mac, just like with Windows, one of my top priorities would be to stay on top of updates for not just the OS and its included stuff (Safari, QuickTime, etc), but also my third-party software like Adobe Reader, Sun Java, Flash Player, and third-party media players, etc. The aforementioned exploit that worked on Linux, Mac and Windows was due to this "third-party attack surface." When's the last time you checked that stuff for updates, folks...? More than a month? Then this would be a good time to do so. :)

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general, just be careful what you click on. I don't take risks on the internet, and don't click on anything suspicious. I use vista on one PC and XP on my others, and I have gotten very few viruses. The PC that I exclusively use has had no viruses to date (other than the biggest and worst virus of them all, which is of course vista).

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Mac Viruses? Haha. They are few and far between but they are out there. My buddy has been using Apple since '95 and never seen a virus on his. I dont use any anti virus software on mine though.

Saaby

Flashaholic
What you should run is QuickSilver though. It's a little launcher program and I'd be totally totally lost without it. It runs on startup for me. It' a pretty good program but it's not perfect...so once in awhile it will crash, and I'll wander around lost for days until I either remember I can start the program again myself, or reboot and have it relaunch again automatically.

I also like SlimBatteryMonitor. It replaces the little battery icon up by your clock with one that's customizable. For example, you can have it display the time to full/empty when you are charging/on battery, but then just display the icon once the battery is full.

There's some other little programs I like too, but those 2 are probably the 2 I think everyone should have.

Enjoy your Mac! Don't get too big a head, it will lock up sooner or later, or you'll have a program crash and you'll loose data. It's still a computer and it's not perfect, but they sure are a joy to use!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't install any anti virus software on a mac! The cure is worse than the (non-existent) disease.

But, yes, be VERY careful about typing your password in. Know why you're doing it. A bunch of people installed free PSE and iWork from bit torrent and they contained malware. This of course is not a virus, but rather is a TROJAN, although all the virus protection companies were quick to proclaim that macs now suffered from viruses, just like PC's.

Anyway, I'd recommend the "OS X Missing Manual" book. It's quite good and well worth the money.

And, in general, I'd say that do NOT do any "maintenance" type stuff that you used to do on a PC, like running a defrag program or trying to go into the file structure of programs and trying to empty folders of temp files and such like. And when in doubt, try to the simplest, most straightforward way to do something first before resorting to more complicated methods. Like, for example, DO NOT automatically install drivers for things. In particular, do NOT install Logitech Control Center. It's a nightmare, according to reports I've read. If you buy a logitech mouse, just see how it works with the native OS X drivers. If you need more functionality, try Steermouse or USB overdrive programs.

And, do check out a mac forum, like MacRumors.

And start using Expose right away, if you haven't already. I think it's the F3 key on macbooks (just like my MBP).

And, also, try the native OS X programs before buying special replacements. Like Mail. OS X Mail is one of my favorite email clients. And iPhoto has gotten quite good, starting with '08 and onward. It will even handle RAW formats now.

OK. Cutting myself off.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to stress the warning against Logitech Control Center. It IS a nightmare. My last problems with my MacBook vanished when I finally kicked this thing off my harddrive. The mouse still works, BTW, with the original Apple drivers. The Mac OS X stuff is missing some functionality, though (like a complete reprogramming of the buttons). I recommend Steermouse if you really need this stuff (I don't).