Olight M30 Question

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a secret to using the extender and the 18650 batteries with an M30? Just for grins I tried the extender with 2 new Tenergy 18650 2600 mAh 3.7V batteries - both charged and functioning (tried them in my M20 individually.) These are the protected batteries. At any rate, the M30 would not work with them - it works fine without the extender and with two 18500 batteries.

It's bound to be something simple - anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Wade

Newly Enlightened
correction - new ones do not work old ones do.... Looks like the wraper of the battery is too thick or the button too short. I am going to try a little foil or a mag on the end but am out the door. I am sure this the prob thou. :thinking:

Last edited:

Wade

Newly Enlightened
up date - one battery stands at a slant when on a table the bottom is slanted so that it does not make contact with other battery... a small magnet gets by this for now.

Thanks for post was just about out the door for a 24 hour race and had purchased a new set of the same batteries from BJ and it would have been very bad to have put them in 8 hours into the woods.... :candle:

I have one or more bad batteries - look at the bottom of yours are they level? Do they stand straight when placed on a table?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
up date - one battery stands at a slant when on a table the bottom is slanted so that it does not make contact with other battery... a small magnet gets by this for now.

Thanks for post was just about out the door for a 24 hour race and had purchased a new set of the same batteries from BJ and it would have been very bad to have put them in 8 hours into the woods.... :candle:

I have one or more bad batteries - look at the bottom of yours are they level? Do they stand straight when placed on a table?

Mine do stand level.....I have 4 and they all work fine in the M20....

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if they touch - darn it - I went off and left 2 of them in the charger in my office! Will they be okay over the 3 day weekend? I have a good charger.......
I still have 2 of the batteries with me so I'll check them tomorrow, but for now I am hopeful that 3 days on the charger will not cause any harm.

:confused:

Toaster

Enlightened
Not sure if they touch - darn it - I went off and left 2 of them in the charger in my office! Will they be okay over the 3 day weekend? I have a good charger.......
I still have 2 of the batteries with me so I'll check them tomorrow, but for now I am hopeful that 3 days on the charger will not cause any harm.

:confused:

Whoa. Unless you got the Pila IBC charger or another which you are 100% positive does not trickle charge, run back to your office and unplug it ASAP! It can definitely be a fire hazard if left plugged in unattended for 3 days! :faint:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was purely a mistake - I intended to bring the charger and batteries home and did not remember to do so. I'm pretty sure they power down parts of my office building - hopefully including my office - on the weekend - so it should be powered down. Still, I'm going to get access, go in to the office and be absolutely sure.

This is the charger:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/wf-139-.html

Lights go from red to green when charging is complete, but I'm not foolish enough to believe that all current is cut from the batteries, so I'll be there later this morning to get them off the charger. Thanks all for the heads up.

wapkil

Enlightened
It was purely a mistake - I intended to bring the charger and batteries home and did not remember to do so. I'm pretty sure they power down parts of my office building - hopefully including my office - on the weekend - so it should be powered down. Still, I'm going to get access, go in to the office and be absolutely sure.

This is the charger:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/wf-139-.html

Lights go from red to green when charging is complete, but I'm not foolish enough to believe that all current is cut from the batteries, so I'll be there later this morning to get them off the charger. Thanks all for the heads up.

Just to confirm what everyone else said - this charger has at least three versions that look identical but use different charging algorithm. Unfortunately I don't think any of these versions could be described as "good".

At least one of the versions (the one that I have, but IIRC other versions may also do it) trickle charges the batteries when the light goes green. Someone measured the trickle charge current to be 40mA so after a full charge it would try to top off your batteries with something around additional 2000-3000mAh when left alone for the weekend...

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem and purchased 4 ultrafire button top batteries from battery junction. The connection will now work. My flat top Tenergies will work by themselves but not stacked.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to confirm what everyone else said - this charger has at least three versions that look identical but use different charging algorithm. Unfortunately I don't think any of these versions could be described as "good".

At least one of the versions (the one that I have, but IIRC other versions may also do it) trickle charges the batteries when the light goes green. Someone measured the trickle charge current to be 40mA so after a full charge it would try to top off your batteries with something around additional 2000-3000mAh when left alone for the weekend...

UPDATE - never could get into my building over the weekend. Waited to hear the call that said the office complex was on fire...:( thankfully that call never came!

Got in this morning and all was well. Interestingly, the green led lights that indicate charge complete were lit (of course) but the charger and the batteries were cool to the touch. Perhaps it is a better charger than thought, but regardless, I won't make this mistake again!

wapkil

Enlightened
UPDATE - never could get into my building over the weekend. Waited to hear the call that said the office complex was on fire...:( thankfully that call never came!

Got in this morning and all was well. Interestingly, the green led lights that indicate charge complete were lit (of course) but the charger and the batteries were cool to the touch. Perhaps it is a better charger than thought, but regardless, I won't make this mistake again!

You may want to try to investigate what really happened. You wrote that the batteries you were charging were protected so if their circuit has the overcharge protection, it may have intervened. You may also have the charger in a version that doesn't trickle charge. Here is the description how to determine which version you have. IIRC versions 1 and 3 perform trickle charge and version 2 was reported as not doing it. I'm not sure if these are the only versions out there but you may start from checking it.

It's quite possible that everything went well, either because the charger doesn't trickle charge or because the protection circuit cut the current. Nevertheless you may want to take a closer look at these batteries behavior, especially during the next charge.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must be the third version shown- red LED while charging - green when complete. The batteries are the protected version - they say "With Protective PCB" on the side. Both are functioning but I will watch them when charging is required. Thanks for all the info.