Neofab Legion II Limited Edition Review (Work in progress)

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
Work in progress:
beamshots to be added — postponed pending resolution of an issue.

IMG_1442-220509.jpg

IMG_1434-220509.jpg

Off centre emitter? — Despite the dice appearing off centre, the reflector aperture is a close fit over the dome. As with the Spartanian II, the reflector is very deep.

IMG_1470-220509.jpg

Mismatched HA — Head, control ring and body are all different colours. The body has some flaws in the anodising which are much more apparent in the flesh. While a possible reason has been posted in the pre-order thread, it seems odd that the control ring does not exhibit the same flaws as they would appear to be machined from the same diameter bar stock and would therefore likely originate from the same batch.

IMG_1475-220509.jpg

Tail standing — The head appears adequately finned for heat dissipation purposes.

IMG_1444-220509.jpg

In the hand — The control ring falls easily to thumb and forefinger when used with an underhand grip. When used overhand the ring is much harder, if not impossible, to operate consistently with one hand. The knurling provides adequate grip to rotate the ring.

IMG_1538_9-250509.jpg

User interface — The amount of control ring rotation required for switching is not excessive (tape marks added for clarity). Rotating to the right and holding switches on or off after 0.5 sec with a confirmation flicker when latching on, from on a sub 0.5 sec twist and release selects the next brightness level up (5 total). Rotating left gives a momentary action, latching on after 3 sec, again with a confirmation flicker. Rotating left and holding when on accesses the battery meter function, one to six flashes (actually a brief off-on) reflecting the battery state under load from low to high, a sub 0.5 sec twist and release selects the next brightness level down. Both left and right switch on levels can be set by switching on in the desired direction, selecting a level and slackening the tailcap until the light extinguishes. I would like to see some cushioning added to the end-stops as there is an annoying 'clack' when the ring hits them.

IMG_1452-220509.jpg

Size comparison — L-R Jetbeam Jet-III Pro ST / FM Megalennium with KT4 Turbohead and RPM Ti bezel / Britelumens HA 1D Mag with SSC P7 / Neofab Legion II (Cree MC-E) / 2C Mag ROP with Download stainless bezel and FM tailcap / 2D Mag with Download stainless bezel.

IMG_1464-220509.jpg

Size comparison — L-R Jetbeam Jet-III Pro ST / FM Megalennium with KT4 Turbohead and RPM Ti bezel / Britelumens HA 1D Mag with SSC P7 / Neofab Legion II (Cree MC-E) / 2C Mag ROP with Download stainless bezel and FM tailcap / 2D Mag with Download stainless bezel.

IMG_1462-220509.jpg

Attention to detail?

AnimBar.gif

Disassembly
AnimBar.gif

IMG_1488-230509.jpg

Size reference — Squares are ~12.5mm/0.5in

IMG_1486-230509.jpg

Tailcap — The springs have been modified from the original design by removing the end caps to allow the use of longer cells such as AW's protected 18650. Solder has also been added to the contact areas, the spare contact ***'y on the right has none.

IMG_1482-230509.jpg

Body — Both AW's protected and IMR 18650 cells are a good fit in diameter terms with no rattle. The sharp point on the lower edge serves as a registration mark, mating with the notch in the contact ***'y to ensure correct orientation. Note there are no markings for cell polarity, this is detailed on a sheet of paper. From the 12 o'clock position clockwise: -ve, -ve and +ve, with respect to the tailcap end not the end of the cell that is inserted into the body.

IMG_1485-230509.jpg

Inside — The head end contact ***'y has springs to ensure contact is maintained at all times, given the relative strengths of the head and tail springs and degree of compression I suspect that these will seldom be anything other than fully compressed.

IMG_1492_3-230509.jpg

Cells — AW's IMR 18650 (left) leaves around 3.5mm for the tail springs to compress into with the front spring fully compressed. AW's protected 18650 (right) only has 1.5mm at the most and results in the tailcap feeling very tight when screwed down all the way, a necessary condition to complete the circuit.

IMG_1497-230509.jpg

Front end — The thick lens is sandwiched between o-rings. A slight annoyance is that there is no provision for the bezel to trap the o-ring, this tends to result in the o-ring popping out whilst tightening down the o-ring.

IMG_1507-230509.jpg

Thickness — 3mm AR coated lens.

IMG_1499-230509.jpg

Reflector — At over 55mm the extremely deep reflector extends into the body inside the control ring. I do not have an exact length measurement for reasons which will become apparent.

IMG_1501-230509.jpg

Orange peel — As noted previously, the hole at the bottom of the reflector is a close fit over the MC-E dome.

IMG_1500-230509.jpg

Misaligned — Also noted previously, the MC-E LED is mounted off centre in this example. This has resulted in the reflector cleaving the dome from the LED as it straightened inside the body when the bezel was tightened down. The dome fell into my hand as I tipped the reflector from the head.

IMG_1508-230509.jpg

Off centre — As can be seen from the remnants of the dome, the LED was seriously misaligned, if the flat area at the bottom of the reflector was removed the dome would still be touching the reflector.

IMG_1510-230509.jpg

Dome

IMG_1502-230509.jpg

Battery tube — The body splits at the rear of the control ring, a spring makes contact with the centre of the front contact ***'y. None of the threads (Bezel, head/battery tube and tailcap) were lubricated on delivery.

IMG_1503-230509.jpg

Return spring — The spring tension on the control ring is not too high, I could stand having to use more force to operate the ring.

IMG_1504-230509.jpg

Control ring — The hole at 6 o'clock picks up the spring, the magnet at 12 operates the switch.

IMG_1505-230509.jpg

Bearings — At the front and rear of the control ring are two PTFE bearings. On my example, these could be marginally thicker, the ring rattles when shaken due to perhaps 0.5mm of play fore and aft that remains when the body is fully tightened.

Kev.

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Nice review and very good constructive criticism.

You know, I personally could probably overlook the anodising issues and even the slightly off center emitter, but what takes the cake is the reversed lettering on the tailcap.

Neo, there needs to be quality control checks all throughout the fabrication and assembly process! Another thing, it would be very wise to continue refining a reflector that gave a beam with no donut. I feel that will be a turnoff for many people.

romteb

Enlightened
Kudos to the braves early adopters who take the time to post this kind of detailed feedback, they are giving us followers a chance to get a perfected version of such a promising product.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Thanks to you all. Cheesy will get a special offer and the other cpfer who want Legion II will get a "perfect" one.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
[QUOTE
IMG_1462-220509.jpg

Attention to detail?

Kev.[/QUOTE]:shakehead. The donut in the beam turns me off. I had a spartanian II that had an awful beam full of artifacts, dark rings etc. A light like the Neofab Legion II despite it being a thrower, has to have a nice beam with no noticable donut or hole in the centre beam for me to consider it.

Maybe they recommend you lubricate the threads with 'NOIGEL'!

James...:)

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
I have one on order and have waited for more than a month now. :candle:

I just hope Neo has got his other 300 or so pieces up to task for all of us CPFers here without the flaws of his earlier limited editions. I do feel that the donut should be reduced without sacrificing throw since the reflector is deep but Neo should know better :).

All said and done I just want the one I get as well as all of us here the words of Neo get a "perfect" one.

Keep up the good work Neo. :wave:

neoseikan

Enlightened
I have one on order and have waited for more than a month now. :candle:

I just hope Neo has got his other 300 or so pieces up to task for all of us CPFers here without the flaws of his earlier limited editions. I do feel that the donut should be reduced without sacrificing throw since the reflector is deep but Neo should know better :).

All said and done I just want the one I get as well as all of us here the words of Neo get a "perfect" one.

Keep up the good work Neo. :wave:

The donut, it's a problem caused by MC-E itself. I will try to remove it as much as possible in the new OP reflectors. But it might still be there.
After all, a smooth reflector always has a bigger donut hole in its beam.
Let's see what I can give this time!

neoseikan

Enlightened
Hi, Cheesy, could you change the LED by yourself? A new reflector with smaller hole might solve this problem, everybody will get one in the package of tailcap.

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Cheesy, could you change the LED by yourself? A new reflector with smaller hole might solve this problem, everybody will get one in the package of tailcap.

If the LED is on a star I can solder it. I can't see how a smaller hole will help though, I'd have thought that would crush the dome.

Kev.

neoseikan

Enlightened
If the LED is on a star I can solder it. I can't see how a smaller hole will help though, I'd have thought that would crush the dome.

Kev.

I think a smaller hole can make sure the LED is centered (in fact, it's the reflector to be centered). Will it be better?

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
My opinion as to what has occurred:

DomeDislocation.jpg

Without disassembling the light again I can't tell for certain but I'm sure the current reflector is a good (fairly tight) fit over the MC-E dome. I believe that some provision must be made to keep the reflector central in the head, depending on the clearance between the head and the reflector, an o-ring may be thick enough to achieve this. It would be worthwhile arranging some method of retaining and centring the star such as bolting it to the body rather than relying on the thermal compound and reflector, it is designed to be used in this manner. The dome is not mechanically strong enough to keep the reflector centred in the event of a shock such as a drop.

Kev.

sjalbrec

Newly Enlightened
i don't know for sure - and i can't quite tell from your pics - but i think what neo is saying is that he thinks the LED is centered but the reflector is slightly asymmetrical. could this be possible?

when you tighten the bezel and the top of the reflector is forced to be flush against the lens, this causes the hole at the bottom of the reflector to shift sideways.

the top edge and bottom edge of the reflector need to be perfectly parallel while at the same time the bottom hole is centered with respect to the top hole. any chance you could slightly trim a section of the top edge of the reflector so it will align?

great diagram, btw

thanks

Last edited:

sjalbrec

Newly Enlightened
The donut, it's a problem caused by MC-E itself. I will try to remove it as much as possible in the new OP reflectors. But it might still be there.
After all, a smooth reflector always has a bigger donut hole in its beam.
Let's see what I can give this time!

i just wanted to point out that as of may 20th neoseikan's signature says the standard versions will be completed in 12 days (plus the time it takes for machining). however, from this post it appears the reflectors are still in the design stage...? :thinking:

thanks

bullettproof

Enlightened
For the price of that light the anodizing should match and not have all those spots.Just my opinion however I do like its styling a lot.

9x23

Enlightened
Cheesy,

In the photo of the head assembly with the return spring, do you have an o-ring somewhere in there at all? I just took mine apart and can't find any o-rings between the battery tube and the head assembly so I am wondering if it is missing or does the design not have one. Or, is this light not watertight at all? Seems odd since the glass/bezel and the tailcap/body seems to have double o-rings yet the junction at the head/body seems to have none at all.

9x23

parkschr

Newly Enlightened
I am seriously considering the Legion for my next light. I am still waiting for more discussion on it and hopefully a full review by someone. I am also considering the M2CX4 but it does not look as impressive as the Legion. The Legion's styling is amazing!