Best mag light 3D bulb replacement <$20?

BillRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to upgrade 15 maglights, and I want the best replacement bulb for under $20.

If you think some other 3D flashlight <$20 would work better, I'd also be open to that.

Bill

lumenosity

Newly Enlightened
The Terralux TLE-6EXB (for 2D & 3D version) might be a good way to go... rated for 140 lumens I think. I got the TLE-6EX for my 4D mag and am happy with it... paid about $20 for it a year or so ago.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best bang for the buck is the $20 dollar Q5 drop-in from Kaidomain.com.

It is good for 2 or 3 NiMH cells or up to 4.5V and is completely regulated. Mine is really bright and super nice beam with smooth reflector.:twothumbs

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to upgrade 15 maglights, and I want the best replacement bulb for under $20.
What exactly would constitute "best" for your application? Looking for output at all costs, best runtime with comparable brightness to stock, or what?

As for the ROP suggestion, it seems a little out of place in the LED forum (as does the term "bulb"...), but I guess a WOP (Whimper Of the Pelican) can be made in that price range, $10 for bulb, $10 for high-resistance battery carrier -- and I bet it won't melt the plastic reflector!

But that does raise the question of batteries -- are you planning on rechargeables, alkalines, or what? You'd spend at least $20 on 3 NiMH D cells, a little less for NiCd. (I guess you might get less in either case, since you'll be buying in large quantities.) If a ROP is actually interesting, and you're planning on rechargeables anyway, you could get 6x 4/5SC for a little less than 3x D, and spend $10 on bulbs, and $10 for a KD reflector. (Plus I guess a piece of pipe, so just over $20 -- take that out of the battery saviings.) Most other battery options wind up costing more, though.

lolzertank

Enlightened
+1 on the $20 KD Q5 dropin.

Another idea, though I don't think this would work for much longer than 5 seconds...

Go to DX, buy a SSC P7 for $19. Then stick a whole bunch of aluminum foil ($1) into the head so that it touches the body and then tape the SSC P7 to it in the middle. That would be your heatsink. (Could this work? :whistle: Anyone want to comment?) Then wire it up and direct drive it from 3 alkaline D.

Will it be :poof: or will it be :)?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will it be :poof: or will it be :)?
I think it will be ROFLOL either way, if somebody tries it. ;)

I think you're gonna short it out with the aluminum foil -- aside from that, I think even an aluminum foil wrap would be adequate heatsinking for DD from 3 alkalines -- they won't be running full power.

BillRoberts

Newly Enlightened
These mag lights will be used by a volunteer police group, and need to serve two purposes.

Primarily, they will have a red cone on the end, and will be used for traffic direction.

They may also be used for searching, etc, as a standard flashlight.

I'm more concerned with run time, but anything LED wise will be better that a std maglight.

I'm not opposed to a whole new light, but it has to have some kind of cone for traffic direction, and most of our members already have a maglight.

It looks like KD is out of the $20 dropin, any other suggestions?

sku_3475_1.jpg

I found this on DX

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3475

What else do I need to make this work with a 3D maglight. I figure I can crush the old bulb, and solder in the connectors.

Do I need a heat sink?

Do I need a regulator? it looks like it works with http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4735 (but only for a 2D flashlight?)

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't get the KD one, there's still Terralux as an easy upgrade within your budget.

MiniStar5 - LED Upgrade Kit EXTREME for 15 Hours or more Runtime
140 Lumens Light Output
Works in Your 2 or 3 Cell C or D Maglite Flashlights
Electronically Regulated for Constant Light Output
LED does not fade when it gets hot, so its light output holds up