EagleTac M2/M2X Mod - Removing "Off" and "Strobe" [Step-by-Step w/ Pics & Video]

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac M2/M2X Mod - Removing "Off" and "Strobe" [Step-by-Step w/ Pics & Video]

Many out there are trying to get rid of these features from their M2/M2x ring. I too wanted to get rid of them since after I installed the click switch the "off" on the ring is redundant, and I really don't care for strobe in the first place...

Followed these step by step directions: EagleTac Switch Modification

Literally took me 5 mins! It's semi-permanent and now I can smoothly go from low to turbo without hitting strobe. I thought it was great little mod... hope it helps some of you ET owners out there!

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Re: EagleTac M2/M2X Removing "Off" and "Strobe" - Easy Mod!

So this completely STOPS the ability to get to strobe and off? What if you used something slightly thinner so that the FEEL or resistance changed as you rotated the ring but it would still allow you to get to it?

I take it someone who doesn't want the optional clicky tailcap switch could just do the strobe mod and leave the off side alone?

Nice work!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

I take it someone who doesn't want the optional clicky tailcap switch could just do the strobe mod and leave the off side alone?
Believe it or not this is exactly the mod I had in mind but hadn't had time to try it yet. I was still periodically thinking of some kind of plastic I could use. I have a bunch of scrap junk lying around but never thought of a credit card. I found a dummy card in my scrap and had a go at it.

All I wanted to do was block the strobe so I only needed one piece. My piece ended up being 9mm in length, 4.5mm wide and slightly over 1mm thick.. I bent the plastic piece to fit the contour of the light. I also made my piece wide enough to fill the whole gap from the back edge of the ledge on the head - up to where the battery tube stops up after screwing it on. (remove the switching ring - screw the battery tube back on to see the required width)

I did not glue mine in. The plastic piece is just the right thickness to fit under the selector ring without hindering movement. The piece may move around a bit when the ring is turned, but I can't feel it at all. I left some grease in there and I'm thinking it mostly stays put near the end where it needs to be. Also, because I did not glue it, it's much simpler to remove it should you need the strobe sometime.

Edit: See pics below in post #12

It works great! Thanks for the suggestion and the web page with detailed instruction.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I feel industrious enough, I'll probably give it a try. I hate that friggin' strobe. I always hit it when I'm turning it to turbo mode. I don't know why they wanted to put that in a light like this.

callmaster

Enlightened

Definitely. Once I get the neutral I'm going to get rid of the strobe. Really annoying and that's the only thing that spoils the light IMO.

Muskett

Newly Enlightened
Re: EagleTac M2/M2X Mod - Removing "Off" and "Strobe"

Followed that page step by step and it worked great! Just make sure you do the measurements correctly like they say cause my little plastic pieces were not the same as theirs. It was really easy though and now i can crank the ring over and get full output without that pesky strobe kicking in! Here's a pic:
IMG_0315.jpg

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: EagleTac M2/M2X Mod - Removing "Off" and "Strobe"

How did you remove the lube, naptha?

Brightnorm

dirtech

Enlightened
Re: EagleTac M2/M2X Mod - Removing "Off" and "Strobe" [Step-by-Step w/ Pics & Video]

Thanks for the instructions!

I ended up doing it the way lite_me did it so that I could reverse it if needed. There is no change in feel in the rotating switch and I can pop the tab out easily to restore strobe. It works very well so far and was very easy to do.

dirtech

Enlightened

So this completely STOPS the ability to get to strobe and off? What if you used something slightly thinner so that the FEEL or resistance changed as you rotated the ring but it would still allow you to get to it?

Nice work!

I think if you made a tab that was wedge shaped so that an increase in friction occurred when the plastic tab that is apart of the control ring began to ride on the inserted tab it might work. I think if you did some trial and error on making the wedge the right thickness to start the increase in friction about right but still capable of stopping the ring so you don't go into strobe unless you mean to.

Make sense.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: EagleTac M2/M2X Mod - Removing "Off" and "Strobe" [Step-by-Step w/ Pics & Video]

Thanks. I've started using the temporary solution described above; it works perfectly.

Brightnorm

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks. I've started using the temporary solution described above; it works perfectly.
I take it the couple comments above are for my post #3, so I added a couple of pics here to help visualize.

m2mod.jpg

piece.jpg

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

This is great, but perhaps Eagletac needs to offer a replacement ring that locks out the strobe?

I'm sure it would be easy for them to do.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually would not mind having the strobe if it did not get in the way, but it is a bit annoying being so close to high. So I did the temp fix with a piece of plastic to lock it out. Thanks to everyone that took this thing apart so fast and posted various fixes.

Kremer

Enlightened

I thought of an idea last night. Make a replacement ring with a little sliding spring-loaded lockout tab on it. Full right would give you turbo, then with your thumb you could pull back this tab toward the body and the ring would then be able to turn the last bit to strobe. When removing it from strobe the lockout tab would pop back into place, again locking out strobe until purposefully activated. It would only require a new ring with no changes to the head of the light.

Last edited:

fareast

Enlightened

added the shim (cut from aquarium tubing ~9.9mmx5mm) with some poster buddie (Pritt) and as everyone has said: now it works even better. no more accidental strobe. Although, if I force the ring towards the strobe it will engage :twothumbs. It will just not engage accidentally anymore. Newbie's never knew there was a strobe untill I tell 'em there is.

btw, loking at the design, indentations are easily implemented into the current desigh with minimal changes. Don't know about costs though.

The lip from the ring > replace with a thicker lip and with round indentations in the plastic. The groove where the lip used to move > add a short strong "pin/nipple" which goes into the round indentations of the ring. Offer replacement rings at low costs since this would wear.

parkschr

Newly Enlightened

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions on this mod. Unfortunately, I am not handy and I tend to tear things up on a regular basis. So I ended up getting help from Lite_Me and I stuck the little piece in without glue and I no longer have strobe. I love it!

Thanks Lite_Me! :)http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=17256

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're welcome. I'm happy it worked for ya. :thumbsup: