New Wolf-eyes flashlight!

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got word from Mike at PTS-Flashlights about a new possibility from Wolf-Eyes:

pilotwhale.jpg

Looks quite interesting! I have no idea about the LED, but he tells me they are also planning an MC-E version.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got word from Mike at PTS-Flashlights about a new possibility from Wolf-Eyes:

Looks quite interesting! I have no idea about the LED, but he tells me they are also planning an MC-E version.

Osram O-star indeed! This will be expensive :O

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! 1000 lumens
100 mins runtime
3X 18650's (LRB 168's)
Ostar
Wolf-Eyes quality- What's not to like? Hopefully it will have a deep and big enough reflector for great throw. Looks like a game changer.:popcorn:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pilot whale?!?! What could possibly have caused them to name a light after a cetacean? I can deal with fox, rattlesnake, and crocodile, but pilot whale? Pilot whales aren't even whales, they are dolphins! And this isn't even a dive light!

Anyways, wouldn't the beam pattern be slightly oblong shaped because of the rectangular die?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about both of those issues as well. Please, PLEASE, pick a better name!
As for the beam shape, I guess if it does cause an issue people can just stick with purchasing the MC-E version...always works to vote with your wallet. Wonder when the Phlatlight SST-90 will start showing up in lights like this?

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the Arcmania SF V light used a 6 die Osram. Do not recall reading about any bad beam profiles with those. Hopefully it will not be an issue.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suspect that it would be just from the number of dice creating a lower (more efficient) current to each one.

By the way, I have some more info about the Pilot Whale (and also another new one, the Sea Lion.

The 6-chip LED is in fact the Osram Ostar Lighting LED. Bin code QY-GS and color temp 5700-8000k.

Both lights have 2 models, tactical and diving. Tactical should be available around June 10th and Diving around July 1st (dates aren't set in stone). The waterproofing rating is still going to be IPX-8 which means waterproof to manufacturer specs if I remember correctly, but currently they are saying 100M depth. It's still in the waterproof and corrosion testing phase however.

Both lights also have 2 modes, default and concealed, accessible via tailcap. I don't know any more about that yet though.

More pics:
pilotwahlemedium.jpg

sealionforwebmedium.jpg

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pilot whale?!?! What could possibly have caused them to name a light after a cetacean? I can deal with fox, rattlesnake, and crocodile, but pilot whale? Pilot whales aren't even whales, they are dolphins! And this isn't even a dive light!

Anyways, wouldn't the beam pattern be slightly oblong shaped because of the rectangular die?
Killer Whales are also dolphins, so what's your point? :poke:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the Arcmania SF V light used a 6 die Osram. Do not recall reading about any bad beam profiles with those. Hopefully it will not be an issue.
Arcmania was not the 1st light to use an Osram OSTAR 6-Die LED, FoxFury did it earlier. (it was a bombproof flashlight made for Firefighting and SAR teams).

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Killer Whales are also dolphins, so what's your point? :poke:
Yes, I realize that. My point was that the name is completely bizarre, and on top of that, they named it after an animal with a name that is not an accurate description of what the animal actually is.
I'm just waiting for the "pileated woodpecker" light...

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
:drool::drool::drool:

The Hand Cannon Wars continue!

I just am getting into my M2C4 from EagleTac at ~650 lumens OTF... if this thing really can push out 1000 lumens OTF, I am getting it and skipping the Legion II!

Oh well, I presume the 1000 lumens is emitter... still, exciting stuff!!