Surefire U2 came with no lube

nirvanaxp

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Surefire U2 Ultra and the threads on the head were completely dry. The selector ring is also pretty hard to twist. Should I take the ring off and lube myself or send back to surefire? Thanks

Illum

Flashaholic
surefire always use lube on their threads, its just a matter of dryness.
wipe it down with alcohol...usually you'll receive some residue on your cotton ball

Paladin

Enlightened
On pretty much every light I buy, one of the first things I do is give the threads a good brushing with an old toothbrush, and relube with "Nylogell 760". My U2 also has a stiff selector ring. Does anyone have tips for lubing the ring?

Paladin

lumenal

Enlightened
My U2 came with sufficient lube, but I did notice the selector ring was a bit stiff.

The ring loosened up with regular use, to where it now feels about perfect. Perhaps a little breaking in is needed?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful. White Lightning is now a brand name for a line of bike maintenance items but some contain petroleum products which can damage some o-rings. Blitzlicht65 probably meant their wax based chain lubricant but always search for an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) before using a product. An MSDS will contain a list of ingredients and safety haards.

This isn't the "end all, be all" but it's a place to start on maintenance -- it's one of a list of relevant threads in a sticky at the top of the General Flashlight section. Lubrication of threads and o-rings

blitzlicht65

Enlightened
Oh, sorry. I don't know this is a brand name now.?

I mean the wax based type.

The wax based type is liquid, so you need only a few drops.

I've had White Lightning for many years in use without problems at the O-rings.

(There is one O-ring under the selector ring, one split ring and a magnetic spacer to change the levels - no electronics which can be damaged:).)

nirvanaxp

Newly Enlightened
I knew that bringing up lube was like opening a can of worms guys... But thanks for the suggestions. I could go over to my bike shop and look for some white lightning.

Illum

Flashaholic
the selector ring moves around a piece of magnet that is magnetically tied to an internal magnet...so I do not see any foreseeable issues using petrol based products on the selector ring.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that surefire used Nyogel 760 on their lights, so it wouldn't really be necessary to clean them first, would it?

DM51

Flashaholic
The OP was commenting on the absence of lube on the light, not what type of lube to put on it. He was asking whether or not he should return the light or deal with it himself. If this turns into yet another "I always use xxxx, haven't had any problems" type of thread, it will be closed.