Weaponlight: DBS, Eagletac, M30, TK40 or M1X?? or other

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a solid weaponlight that will identify an object at 300m. I have been using a TK10 on my AR-15 with good results but realistically it is only good to about 150m. This light would be used on my .308.

I like the idea of the DBS being upgradeable but then I saw some beamshots comparing it to the Eagletac and it looked like the Eagletac was significantly brighter in all areas. The drawback to the Eagletac is that I need a 25mm tube in order to mount the light.

Also, any chance Dereelight will best the Eagletac soon with an even brighter LED?

Anyone know of a non-chintzy way to mount the Eagletac?

Any advice would be totally appreciated.

Photo of TK10 mounted with Larue Mount. Vertical grip allows flashlight to be actuated with thumb of support hand...

bullettproof

Enlightened
If that were my my M4 Clone. I would get some BUIS sights for it to use with that Eotech and get a Surefire M900 and mod it. Or I would get the Turbo Head version and mod it.The Turbo head on the M900 with a P7 will throw pretty darn good because how big the head is I dont no how deep the reflector is though. I think you would be suprised.If your using that rifle as a CQB entry Weapon, I would go P7 or MC-E for sure.On the Turbo head you might be able to run an MN21 bulb I think youll also like that!!

You have a nice rifle with cool mods.I like the bolt carrier & monolithic rail setup you have in there btw.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'm thinking the M1X is probably the closest to what you are looking for in a production light, provided you can make it fit with it's larger reflector.

Generally speaking, moving up to a quad die emitter from a single die moves you into a total output category that is enough to nearly double your effective range PROVIDED the beam shape stays similar, and that's the tricky part. The quad-die NEEDs that large (like over 2 inch diameter) reflector to have a beam shape similar to the beams we get in ~1" reflectors on single die emitters. As I understand it the M1X has one of the largest reflectors available in a production light that isn't plagued with problems or lacking quality where you need it to trust it on a weapon.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
If that were my my M4 Clone. I would get some BUIS sights for it to use with that Eotech and get a Surefire M900 and mod it. Or I would get the Turbo Head version and mod it.The Turbo head on the M900 with a P7 will throw pretty darn good because how big the head is I dont no how deep the reflector is though. I think you would be suprised.If your using that rifle as a CQB entry Weapon, I would go P7 or MC-E for sure.On the Turbo head you might be able to run an MN21 bulb I think youll also like that!!

You have a nice rifle with cool mods.I like the bolt carrier & monolithic rail setup you have in there btw.

Bullettproof, I have the m900a on my AR and have been waiting for the LED conversion. I didn't know you could mod the existing light!! Is there a link or an easy way to explain it to a noob!!!! Thanks

bullettproof

Enlightened
Bullettproof, I have the m900a on my AR and have been waiting for the LED conversion. I didn't know you could mod the existing light!! Is there a link or an easy way to explain it to a noob!!!! Thanks

You need to talk to some of the custom builder/modders guys.PM Nailbender he likes to do work like that and could help you out.:thumbsup:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Nice lookin weapons. I dunno baout most of these lights and their shock resistance but I wouldn't recommend the TK40--I have heard it may be brittle at some points. Your best bet would be a surefire of some kind designed for weaponry.

maxilux

Enlightened
In my opinion the only light is Tiablo A9 with Collimator Head, remote pressure switch comes out next time, the OLight M30 goes not 300m, forget it, it is no thrower. You can not use an MCE light for this, i dont know an MCE Light with a (real) throw of 300m

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight M20 and M30 are designed for weapon mounting and durability testing was done on an AR so I have no concerns in that regard. Given that you want major throw I'd recommend the M20 Premium with an option SMO reflector.

That said, 300M is a tall order; I'm not sure if any LED without relatively exotic optics is gonna do that effectively. Maybe the Tiablo A9 with Collimator Head (fairly exotic optics) would do it, possibly but I'm not sure how ideal that light is for weapon mounting.

Can your eyes really distinguish any detail at 300M/1000 feet??

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

I agree that 300 meters is a long way out there! Really, any high output light with a 1" body will work for a weapon light. Having a pressure switch will probably be a necessity. High throw is nice too.

Of the high output lights available, how many have a pressure switch? I know the Sunlite 16w does. It and the M1X will be your top throwers as well. The M30 will be your smallest form factor. TK40 is prob out of the question because of the size.

So there's a few options.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 300 meters you would really need an HID, but I don't know of any HID weaponlights on the market that fit a one inch mount.

neo_xeno

Newly Enlightened
according to jetbeams site the new raptor RRT-1 can throw 500 yards. plus it would probably fit on your gun a little better than these bigger lights.

dirtech

Enlightened
Nice lookin weapons. I dunno baout most of these lights and their shock resistance but I wouldn't recommend the TK40--I have heard it may be brittle at some points. Your best bet would be a surefire of some kind designed for weaponry.

Not to mention the weight of the tk40. Seems like it would be unwieldy on the end of a rifle.

Nice rifle. Needs some BUIS.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What optic sight will you be using for 300m targets at night? I've owned an Eotech and it's a great CQB sight, but not optimal for 300m.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to jetbeams site the new raptor RRT-1 can throw 500 yards. plus it would probably fit on your gun a little better than these bigger lights.

Even M1X throws 500 yards according to jetbeam :ohgeez:No way a light with ~20k lux can throw that far...

Only small light that really can throw that far is Tiablo A9 with aspherical optic. But I'm not sure if the super tight beam is good for a weapon use. :shrug:

bullettproof

Enlightened
Stick with the M900 series of Surefire its under the Weapon so you dont have to worry about it getting hung up or throwing the weight off 2 the side.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The others make a good point. Would you really be able to determine what you are shooting at at 300M with only an eotech, without using a magnifier in front of it?
There is no way that either of the jetbeam models will be able to throw enough light 1500 feet to do anything useful, especially for target identification. My HID spotlight can barely make it that far, and it easily has 10 times the output of these lights, as well as a much larger reflector.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe an aspherical mod could work? You'll just have spot, but if that's all you'll need, then it could work.

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
The Olight M20 and M30 are designed for weapon mounting and durability testing was done on an AR so I have no concerns in that regard. Given that you want major throw I'd recommend the M20 Premium with an option SMO reflector.

That said, 300M is a tall order; I'm not sure if any LED without relatively exotic optics is gonna do that effectively. Maybe the Tiablo A9 with Collimator Head (fairly exotic optics) would do it, possibly but I'm not sure how ideal that light is for weapon mounting.

Sorry Matt. I guess my original post was kind of confusing. Yes, my eyes can see alot at 300m with my Nightforce 3.5-15 power scope :twothumbs. In the original post I was just trying to show my mount on my AR-15 with the Fenix TK10 on it but I'm looking for a longer range light for my .308.

For all the guys that responded with Surefire, I appreciate your suggestions but they are SOOOO far behind in the brightness and runtime game it is pathetic. Yes they are great lights (see the X300 on my Glock above), but I don't think they are the only lights that can handle military and law enforcement abuse. I have tested my TK10 extensively, firing numberous rounds with it off and on, and leaving it in a 140 degree car all last summer. It still works great.

Last edited:

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
I agree that 300 meters is a long way out there! Really, any high output light with a 1" body will work for a weapon light. Having a pressure switch will probably be a necessity. High throw is nice too.

Of the high output lights available, how many have a pressure switch? I know the Sunlite 16w does. It and the M1X will be your top throwers as well. The M30 will be your smallest form factor. TK40 is prob out of the question because of the size.

So there's a few options.

No need for the pressure switch becuase of the way I will mount the veritical grip and actuate the light with the thumb of my support hand.