Best 'compact' 18650 flashlight?

hazna

Enlightened
I'm interested to add a 1x18650 flashlight to my currently meagre collection. I figure 18650 will give either more brightness or better runtime.

Its important for me that its not overly big and fits in a pocket easily. It'd be more for everyday use, so decent flood and less throw would be better. Good regulation with 18650 would great.

Does anything fit the bill? Maybe I'm better off with a 14500 light, as that would be more compact?

btw budget is preferable under $100 but willing to spend up to $150.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaPower EnCore fits the bill. Most compact 18650 light, 3 levels, nice flood, last level memory, great price. Check it out in the Marketplace. Great light!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
at the moment: i would suggest L-Mini 2.

i just like it alot.
simplicity (three modes, low-mid-high) and long runtime, also available with warmer tint. (and optional slightly bigger thrower head) in my mind itsabsolute bargain at about 45$.

others to consider: Jetbeam Pro III ST. (programmable modes to your liking)

-was about to buy one but when the lmini2 came with neutral/warm tint and ramp up version. i kinda think i dont "need" the jetbeam no more. i might want one, but thats another story:)

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L-mini II is everything you asked for, and is only 41/45 dollars (for cool and warm versions). It has 3 modes, mode memory, and excellent regulation. The Ealgetac T10L is the only light that I know of that has regulation that is comparable, but it costs more and doesn't fit in a pocket as well.
The lumapower encore apparently isn't all that regulated with 18650's, and isn't as bright as with CR123s.
The L-mini II can also tailstand, and switches to low mode automatically when the battery gets low, which is very helpful since the protection circuitry of lithium ion batteries simply shuts off, leaving you without any light. It also has a HAIII coating, and an available "turbo head" for increased throw.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the T100C2 is probably an excellent light, it isn't really the form factor that the OP wanted. It is a tactical light, while the OP wanted a light that could easily fit in a pocket. The p100C2 might be a better size, but 18650's don't fit in it. I really think the l-mini II is perfect for what the OP wants.

hazna

Enlightened
thanks for all the replies the L-mini II seems interesting. Good regulation, good size, nice price. Just wondering on the build quality of this light? I've had bad experiences with cheap ultrafire lights and want something that is reliable.

the jetbeam seems good too, i like the idea of programmable modes but its more expensive too. Also could run it on primary cr123 in emergencies in case I can't charge up 18650s. Whats the difference between the Jet-III Pro St, Jet-III pro ultra, and Jet III-military? The pro and military seem to have larger heads?

Eagletac offerings seem ok, but it is slightly larger and only 2 modes. I think 3 modes + strobe is good.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L-mini II is of excellent quality, and is WAY above cheap ultrafire lights. I have an Eagletac T10L which is definitely not a cheap chinese light, and the L-mini II has comparable build quality. The anodizing is great, the threads are good, and everything fits together well. There are even 2 o-rings at each end for better water resistance. I have an ultrafire light, and it is way below the L-mini II in quality.
If have any laptop batteries lying around that don't work, you may want to take them apart, since laptop batteries usually use unprotected 18650 cells inside them. If you are lucky, you may be able to get a few good extra cells (should be over aroun 3.5 volts each or higher). Since the L-mini II has a protection circuit built in, you don't need to worry about overdischargin the batteries.
Generally, lights that run on both 2 CR123's and 1 18650 are not well regulated with an 18650, and the jetbeam models are no exception. The T100C2 seems to be regulated with both, but this is because of the lower Vf of the LED. THe T100C2 is probably too big anyways.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaPower EnCore fits the bill. Most compact 18650 light, 3 levels, nice flood, last level memory, great price. Check it out in the Marketplace. Great light!
This would be an excellent choice if it had a warm white emitter such as a Cree q3 5a or a q4 5b.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the L-minis (2*CR123 and 1*18650 models) because of the cheers in here, and was heavily disappointed.
Driver work, UI work, "feel", especially machining ... all not even near as expected.
imho the same as with ordering from DX, but double the price.

Jetbeam Pro ST, thats the small 18650 light.
another world of production quality.

(modded mine with another reflector and it improved for short-space illumination: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/215439&highlight=jetbeam)

Pro Ultra and M feature larger heads --> more throw, less good to pocket.
The M has "only" one programmable mode, the other is max but non programmable. Mode selection vs. turning the head, like Fenix UI choice. Pro ST and Ultra have the full three programmable levels-UI

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested to add a 1x18650 flashlight to my currently meagre collection. I figure 18650 will give either more brightness or better runtime.

Its important for me that its not overly big and fits in a pocket easily. It'd be more for everyday use, so decent flood and less throw would be better. Good regulation with 18650 would great.

Does anything fit the bill? Maybe I'm better off with a 14500 light, as that would be more compact?

btw budget is preferable under $100 but willing to spend up to $150.

Yes, I think it's better off if you go for an AA light using 14500. With AA lights that can take Li-ion are potentially pocket rockets. And with the budget you have, that are quite a number of good ones you can select.
But if you just want to have a 18650 light that's compact and has good regulation, the latest L-Mini II is a good choice at a good price. And Jetbeam III Pro ST is another outstanding option, but not as compact as L-Mini II.

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened
yeah actually I was looking at some 14500 lights. Was thinking of getting the akoray 106, since its pretty cheap.

I have fenix l1d, which i find a good size for pocket carry, but I find it lacks in brightness. I guess i could run it on 14500 but I hear you lose the modes if you do so?

Looking at the size of the L-mini II its only a little longer and maybe slightly wider than most AA/14500 lights. Offers better runtime than most 14500 and great regulation. I'm interested in trying a 'warm tint' flashlight, so I'm pretty keen on it. I do have to say, compared to the jetbeam its a little lacking in looks/polish.

waiting to hear more replies but leaning towards the L-mini II atm.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quality is not as good as some of the more expensive lights but I like my Lumapower Connexion2 on 14500. I forgot bout the ITP C7 also.

Last edited:

Kremer

Enlightened
I have a Jet-3 ST and two L-mini-2's. The L-mini's are definately not junk, but they are not jetbeam quality either. I really don't think you'll find a smaller 18650 light than the l-mini. I love it's beam pattern, UI, driver, mode memory, regulation, form, button, everything. The only down I can think of is that the lanyard hole is a little sharp and some people have had it fray lanyards already.

My Jet is more of a "hey, look at the 40 things my light can do, hang on while I program it" type of light.

The L-mini is "pull out of pocket, click." simplicity.

hazna

Enlightened
thanks for ur reply kremer... do you find that the slight size difference between the jetbeam and L-mini II noticeable?

Also what do you think of the allocated modes for the L-mini II? I read somewhere that med and high are too similar... a lower med would be preferred.

Kremer

Enlightened
They are both perfectly pocketable, I don't notice a size difference alternating between them EDC, but the mini is smaller.

Indoors playing around low and medium could be lower on the mini, but outside walking the dog, etc... they are perfect. medium is about dead even half of full power, and the light stays stone cold on med. on high it gets pretty warm, so does the jetbeam.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yellow, this is the L-mini II we are talking about, not the L-mini I that you have. The L-mini II has HAIII coating, and is not the same light as the first version. The quality is fine for all practical purposes. I don't see how any better quality would realistically make it any better of a light. It won't break, and it won't fall apart.
The Medium mode appears almost as bright as the high, but it apparently only runs at 350 mA, while the high is 1 amp. This is because of the way that the eye perceives light. Therefore, medium should give you way more runtime than high.