Lights that use Li-Ion 14500 cells?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellas!

I have fallen in love (low self-discharge, high cap/maHrs) with lithium ion cells, these things are great. I've been using for 18650 cells for months now without a hitch. And so far they've not turned out to be the " grenades" they've been made out to be! Since I've got so many devices that take AA cells, I can't seem to keep enough of them around the house. So, I'm looking at 14500 cells for some of my lights. But I've yet to find a light that will take them...what gives?

chiphead

What have you got against being prepared? Burt Gummer from the movie TREMOURS.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: 14500 usage?

Except for lights specifically designed for them (NiteCore AA lights for example), you cannot replace AA's with 14500's in most consumer electronics.

balou

Enlightened

Besides Nitecores, Dealextreme also has a couple of lights which take 14500.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened

So, I'm looking at 14500 cells for some of my lights. But I've yet to find a light that will take them...what gives?
Lights that use 14500 either as the only or broad voltage with a 1xAA are nothing new as they have existed for more then a few years now.

..Dealextreme also has a couple of lights which take 14500.
Lots more then a couple if you search 14500...

Some others to add are the older style JetBeam JET-1 MK1/MK2 bodied lights,
iTP C7 Tactical/Regular,
EagleTac P10A,
LiteFlux LF5 XT,
LumaPower ConneXion X2,
LumaPower ConneXion,
Wolf Eyes Angel-A,
Kingpower K1(only one mode, High).
Among others including old or discontinued models.

Some listed are a little old now so they may be harder to find.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peak Pacific. It takes 14500's without any problems. There are times when you just want more light than an AA can produce. I use AW's protected 14500's - but have made it a habit to substitute E2's or alkalines when loaning out the light.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are well advised to check that the flashlight you intend to use 14500s in is capable of taking the higher voltage, my LED Lenser P5 is meant for AA primaries (even nimh rechargables are not recommended IIRC) and will not accept 14500s.

But me being me (the cat that curiosity killed), i just HAD to try it with 14500s, slipped one in and there was an intensely bright flash of light and then nothing, thought i had killed the light but thankfully, i hadnt, whatever circuitry there was just did not allow the light to be used, when i replaced it with a nimh cell, it worked fine.

Edit: other lights that work fine with 14500, Jetbeam Jet I Mk IIx (if u can find one), Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS V2.0, Ultrafire C3 in 1xAA configuration. I own these and they work great on 14500s. Fenix TA30 can work with 2x14500s

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Echoing the above; I have a D10 and ConneXion X2 that both take 14500, and that's what I run them with.

And the AKOray K-106 runs like a champ on a 14500 as well.

I'm a big fan of Li-Ion cells and prefer to buy lights which can handle the higher voltage. I run primaries only when I have no other choice.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Supposedly the old Fenix L1+ can handle them although I haven't tried one. The Liteflux LF1 will take them as well. I have one modded with a Seoul and a turbohead that works good. Also the Coleman Max CR2 runs just fine on one too. Your light needs springs on both ends, my cells are flat topped. Magnets are dicey for shorting out on the positive end.

Last edited:

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've talked to the builders of my current AA units and the lithium ion is a big no-no. Oh well.

chiphead

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 has pretty good regulation on both NIMH and 14500 Li-Ion batteries which can be seen on the graph below from http://www.light-reviews.com/nitecore_d10/ . :party:

runtime.gif

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are well advised to check that the flashlight you intend to use 14500s in is capable of taking the higher voltage, my LED Lenser P5 is meant for AA primaries (even nimh rechargables are not recommended IIRC) and will not accept 14500s.

But me being me (the cat that curiosity killed), i just HAD to try it with 14500s, slipped one in and there was an intensely bright flash of light and then nothing, thought i had killed the light but thankfully, i hadnt, whatever circuitry there was just did not allow the light to be used, when i replaced it with a nimh cell, it worked fine.

Edit: other lights that work fine with 14500, Jetbeam Jet I Mk IIx (if u can find one), Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS V2.0, Ultrafire C3 in 1xAA configuration. I own these and they work great on 14500s. Fenix TA30 can work with 2x14500s

I have a light that use to work on alkalines/NIMH's but since I put a 14500 in it, it only works with a 14500 now.:oops:
It was a cheap light though, Saik RC-A3 I think. I try to be more careful than curious nowdays.:whistle: