Good Night Walking Light?

Old Farmer

Newly Enlightened
I have beem off the forum, for a few months. Got into knives again. I like to take the dogs, for a walk, at night, in the woods. What would be a good light for this? I just bought a surefire E1L Outdoorsman. I also, ordered a lense diffusier. Would some other lights, be better?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nightly walks? Maybe Fenix TK11 or EagleTac T100C2 with rechargeable 18650's. About 220 lumens for about 3 hrs and 55 lumens for 12-20 hrs.

1dash1

Enlightened
I don't care for short forms for my 1 to 3 hour night walks with my dog. That eliminates all the 1xAA and 1xCR123 lights. My walks vary from walks along well-lit streets to walks through pitch-black parks or country roads. For the former, I like a torch with 30 to 200+ lumens. For the latter, I prefer a torch that starts at under 1/2 lumen and goes up to at least 100 lumens. But that's me.

What about you? How long are you out? What kind of ambient lighting conditions do you have to contend with?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of my choices are "P60 dropins" that fit a variety of lights.

Malkoff M60WLF. The beam shape will be similar to your E1L with the F04 in place, just brighter and MUCH better tint. Quality should be as good or better than anything else available.

I like the Dereelight 3SM 5A drop-in, as well. Tint similar to the Malkoff "W" versions, and it has three brightness levels. Great behind a FM34 diffuser, or a lens with light diffusing film. There's a new version on the way, with lower low, but the current version like I have is now on sale for $24.95:
http://flashlightconnection.com/Der...Dereelight-P60-Drop-In-3SM-5A-Q3-OP--p87.html

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often use the original Surefire U2. Nice flood beam and variable brightness.

jeffb

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A neutral white LED light might be good too. AA batteries might also be more convient. The Fenix TK20 might be a good choice.

hxsilva

Newly Enlightened
I don't take my dog but I usually take my Fenix p2d-q5 in my pocket, Galdius in my left hand, and in my right, my Mag 6D, works as a weight as well as a defense tool.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is pretty dark where I walk, with a few house lights, in the distant.
There are NO street lights where I live. It is VERY dark. I do fine with a headlight. I always have a flashlight in my pocket, because I ALWAYS have a flashlight in my pocket.

litework

Newly Enlightened
I have beem off the forum, for a few months. Got into knives again. I like to take the dogs, for a walk, at night, in the woods. What would be a good light for this? I just bought a surefire E1L Outdoorsman. I also, ordered a lense diffusier. Would some other lights, be better?

I prefer something a little more potent, but that E1L will serve you well. I like to see things well in advance of approaching them so I prefer throw to flood when walking in an isolated area. I use the JetBeam Raptor now, but a Dereelight CL1H does a decent job. I don't know how desolate your walks are...I doubt you use a compass on your night walks, so you're probably not looking for landmarks to guide you home.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you want the light to do?

What I want a walking light to do might not be what you want a walking light to do.

I took a few walks with lights, and I'm a fan of the Olight M20 with an 18650. Low or Medium works good for just getting around and the high works good for seeing something a couple hundred feet away.

1dash1

Enlightened
Old Farmer:

Based on your no-nonsense responses, I'd recommend the Fenix P3D Rebel. It's got 2 levels with a total of six output modes. Level one: low, medium, high, SOS. Level two: turbo, strobe. Twist the head to switch levels. Click to switch modes within each level.

You'll ordinarily operate in low or medium. At a moment's notice, when something unusual catches your attention, a quick twist of the head gets you immediately to turbo. Pretty simple, really.

In the city, where there is a lot of competing light, you might have used the high more often because of the bright distractions. It doesn't sound like you'll have that problem. And I doubt that you'll have much opportunity to use the flashing modes, so your use will revolve around low, medium and turbo. Like I said, operating between these three modes is a cinch.

Moreover, because of your dark conditions, you can take full advantage of the Rebel emitter's better color rendition. (In the city, the few extra lumens that the Q5 emitter offered might be worth the color tradeoff.)

The P3D doesn't have a perfect beam, but the pattern is suitable for your need. It is a medium bright spot with reasonably bright spill, a very good pattern for general purposes. Not too throwy. Not too floody.

Note: The P3D Rebel is no longer being manufactured, so you may have difficulty finding it. You can try the CPF Marketplace, maybe post a WTB message. Here's one vendor that I've dealt with before: link.

If you want a more perfect beam, then the HDS Ra 100 TW would be the one I'd recommend. Nice hot spot that feathers smoothly to spill. It's better than a pure flood, IMO. The pure flood directs light in all directions, which is good if you don't need any throw. However, if you do need to throw light for any distance, then it becomes important to focus at least some of the light in the center of your view. The Ra 100 does this admirably. A few photos: link.

Simple one-handed operation. Twist a little for low, twist a little more for medium, twist a little more for high. (The smooth threads make it easy to use. I find the Ra 100 TW's twist action to be easier to operate than some of my clicky flashlights.) Output levels are customizable, but the factory settings are great for your application.

Besides a nice beam and easy operation, the HDS Ra lights are extraordinarily tough and reliable. Perhaps even tougher and more reliable than Surefires.

You could also get the Ra 120, Ra 140, or Ra 170; but I doubt that you'll need the extra "oomph" from these lights - especially since you already decided that the E1L had enough firepower to accomplish your tasks. And you can opt for the clicky versions, if that is your preference. (But if you do pick the clicky, do so because you like clickies - not because of any pre-conceived notions that it would be easier to use. IMO, the Ra clicky is easier to program, but the Ra twisty is easier to use.)

If you do go with a twisty, I'd suggest that you pick up the 18670 twisty tube. Not only does it allow you longer runtimes, but the form factor is more comfortable for handcarrying.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like walking with the Fenix TA30. It has a wide spill and medium spot. It can go from 9-200+ lumens with a simple twist of the selector ring...and will run on 2xAW 17500's for 2+ hours on high...or many more on medium or low.

I also like that it would be a decent self or dog defense tool.