are there new heads for Surefire e2e bodies better than the stock (kl4)?

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
I have an L4. Since the LED tech has advanced so much, do they, Surefire, or anyone else, make newer brighter heads?

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL4 has been updated to KL4A with SSC P4. Brighter, longer runtime, more throw.

The aleph a19 XR-E is also an excellent choice .

BigD64

Enlightened
Surefire KX2C Head is 120 out the front Lumens and I got to compare the E2DL to a Fenix TK11 both with new CR123's the E2DL was slightly brighter than the Fenix's "225" Lumens with a light meter not by eye.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire KX2C Head is 120 out the front Lumens and I got to compare the E2DL to a Fenix TK11 both with new CR123's the E2DL was slightly brighter than the Fenix's "225" Lumens with a light meter not by eye.

The only way to accurately measure lumen output is with an integrating sphere. A light meter is designed to measure intensity.

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Is there a list anywhere with all the folks making replacement heads, the lumens, and cost?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my L4 over 5 years, not sure if the LED is getting dull or if my newer lights are just that much brighter...

Niconical

Enlightened
The Surefire heads when sold separately cost a large chunk of the total cost of a complete new flashlight.

It would make good financial sense for you to sell what you have on the Marketplace, then buy a complete new flashlight of your choice.

The E2DL is a stunning piece of work by Surefire, but you do need to consider how it would be carried as the teeth at the head end can damage pockets.

There is someone on the forum who (I think) offers a service to grind down and remove the teeth from the E2DL, making it much more pocket friendly, but unfortunately I can't remember who it is.

Viper715

Enlightened
M I K is the member who offers thatservice. Check in the custom buy sale trade forum he has a thread there.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have two SF E2E models equipped with the Optics HQ/TLS Q5 LED head. A good combination of flood and throw, but with a clear bias leaning towards throw. One of my modified E2Es is my main EDC. The other one is kept as a ready replacement in case I ever lose my EDC light.

Check out the link below:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198353

* The two heads that I own show better Q.C. than what the other CPFer got.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a list anywhere with all the folks making replacement heads, the lumens, and cost?

These are some options made by Surefire:
1.) The new 120 lumen L4 ("B" head) is the replacement for the old L4. It's like the old L4 but uses an SSC P4 LED instead of a LuxV so the brightness is higher, runtime is better and it has a more defined hotspot instead of the "wall of light" the old LuxV L4 delivered. It can be identified by the letter B imprinted on the head next to the serial number and it uses a reflector like the original version did.

I don't think you can buy just the head for the new L4 from a dealer just yet, but there is someone in the marketplace selling these new L4 heads for $95. Click here to see sale thread.

You can also read a review of this light here: New L4 review

2.) Another option is the KX2 "B" head. It can be purchased seperately for the retail price of $109 directly from Surefire. Or you may find it cheaper frrom a dealer or in the marketplace. The KX2 "B" head serial number starts with the letter B so it can be identified. The older 45 lumen version started with the letter A. It is a two-stage light using a cree LED rated at 60 lumens on high and 3 lumens on low. This light also uses a TIR to direct the light into a nice tight hotspot instead of using a reflector.

3.) A third option is the KX2C head. It only comes in black and "desert sand brown" though. It is a single stage Cree LED using a TIR optic and it's output is 120 lumens. Retail price is $109

4.) The last option is a complete light. The E2DL is black and uses a TIR optic. It has teeth to strike someone who attacks you. It is a dual output light rated at 120 lumens on high and 5 lumens on low. Retail price is $149

One final note is that these Surefire heads really put out more lumens then they state. The 120 lumen rated lights have been shown to put out between 160 and 210 lumens. The KX2 "B" head rated at 60 lumens that I used to own put out around 85 lumens.

You can see some beamshots of the E2L with the KX2 "B" head and the E2DL as well as some others here.

Have fun. :)

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two SF E2E models equipped with the Optics HQ/TLS Q5 LED head. A good combination of flood and throw, but with a clear bias leaning towards throw. One of my modified E2Es is my main EDC. The other one is kept as a ready replacement in case I ever lose my EDC light.

Check out the link below:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198353

* The two heads that I own show better Q.C. than what the other CPFer got.

I can report on one year's worth of pocket carry for this OpticsHQ E2 head. It works well, but dust infiltration into the head and onto the reflector surface is a problem. It looks like there is a newer version that may be better sealed. Also, my first head suffered some sort of failure. The driver became loose, started to unscrew itself (probably every time I removed the head to charge the AW16340 cell in my TW4), and the twisting broke loose some wire connections inside. I sent it back to OpticsHQ and they sent a replacement, which has been running fine since (except for the dust issue).

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Justin's recommendation I bought this TLS single output head (for lne or two cells, 3v-10v)

http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/PROD/Surefire-Accessories/FL-TLS-TX2-1

and have been really impressed with it. As monocrom reports, it's got awesome output... just what a little E-body needs to really get perked up. Driven by a single RCR123 (or two) it really rocks.

Interesting to note, recently I found a complete TLS flashlight (which looks like it has the same TLS Q5 head as the above) on either DX or KD for like mid $20-30 range or so... amazed me. Now I can't find it again. :thinking:

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
A head to use a Malkoff M60 is also in the works. If everything goes as planned, it could be as soon as 3 weeks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can report on one year's worth of pocket carry for this OpticsHQ E2 head. It works well, but dust infiltration into the head and onto the reflector surface is a problem. It looks like there is a newer version that may be better sealed.

Thanks for reminding me, I did have to clean a bit of dust out of the bezel of my TLS head. That was a few weeks ago. It's been dust-free since then. Likely won't stay that way. Just a bit of minor cleaning needed. Overall, a better value than a Surefire KX2C head.

prime77

Enlightened
I have been EDCing the new L4 for 2 weeks now and I have to say that I really like the new beam out of it. It really is the best of both worlds. Really good flood with decent throw. Runtime on par with the E2DL. I like allot.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK.. I found the light I mentioned a few posts back in this thread.

It sure as heck looks like you can not only get the TLS Q5 head, but also a complete flashlight based on that head for $29 incl. shipping! That's a very small fraction of the price of the TLS head alone in the USA. :eek:

Check this out:

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=7339

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
These KD product descriptions are weak, but it looks like the T1 Cree Q5 product uses the TLS TX1 head. KD also has a T2 Cree Q5 product, which presumably uses the TLS TX2 head. If that is the case, the TX2 head should offer more flexibility than the TX1 head, as well as greater output.

The photos that accompany the KD T1 and T2 products also show what look to be beam shots of a low and a high mode, not a single-mode head.