Opinions on the SureFire M6-CB Guardian

Dargo

Newly Enlightened
I seem to have a bug about collecting flashlights for various needs. Most seem to be tactical flashlights mounted to firearms that I collect. However, I think I have a need for a light to use for non-lethal defense among various other tasks. As mentioned, I have a pretty good sized firearm collection. However, I also have 5 kids who always seem to have friends over at our house; especially during the summer. I'm not about to go prowling about our house or just outside with a drawn firearm. I'm not even going to do such a thing with pepper spray etc. I feel comfortable making these searches with a bright light I can sneak up on the noise and fully illuminate whatever is making the noise.

I have a SureFire Nitrolon in my nightstand next to my bed with the 200 lumen bulb. It is good, but I'd like to have even more light. Being that I know next to nothing about flashlights in general, and powerful flashlights in particular, I'm confused with all of the far less expensive Chinese made options available. Everytime I see one I think I like, like the Oracle 24w setup, I find posts on the internet where some people have received duds or had to fight with getting things fixed or made right.

I suppose at this point it's safe to say that I'm willing to shell out the bucks (which seems like a lot of them) for a SureFire M6-CB Guardian if it is indeed a great light. That is where I'm deferring to you guys as to whether it would suit my needs as far as being a durable, relatively small and powerful light. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

gsxrac

Enlightened
:welcome: The Surefire M6 is a very well liked light around these forums and it is VERY bright and seems great for the use that you intend to put it through. But dont expect the CB to disable an attacker in any way. Maybe can I suggest strapping a handgun to your side and not pulling it unless you need it? And also be aware that it also DESTROYS batteries! (500lm version gets around 20 minutes on 6 sf123's if memory serves me correctly)

And this one will probably either get locked or put in the incandescent forums ;)

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
It's an exceptionally good flashlight, a joy to use, reliable and durable. It's my favorite light and has actually saved me money in the long run because since I've purchased it, I have been far more content with my collection and have drastically reduced my spending on lesser lights.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dargo!

Welcome to CPF.

Please read this M6 Thread Compendium and see if this influences your decision. It only starts with one light and before you know it, you're sucked in for good. You'll be hitting this a lot :paypal: looking for stuff in the marketplace and the B/S/T area of CPF.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!! Well, you did say the money is there.

Dargo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the fast replies. I'm a complete novice at flashlights, but I should have known that there are guys who know them well. I've been collecting firearms, pocketknives and muscle cars for 30 years now. Some people think I'm nut for doing that. :)

I'm slightly confused about the comment "And this one will probably either get locked..." Did I do something wrong? If I did, I apologize in advance. I certainly intended no foul. I just thought that this particular flashlight seems to be a quality light and wanted more informed opinions. And, I agree, I don't intend to attack anyone with the CB. Call me goofy, but I just think it looks cool that way.

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
If you'd prefer not to burn 6 CR123 at a time, I'd devote serious consideration to a FM Megalennium with a KT-4 head and AW soft start switch.

I think it might work out a bit more expensive but it's a flexible option, alternatively, a Lumens Factory HO-M6R lamp ***'y will allow you to use 6 rechargeable 123s in a stock M6. This will also work with the 3 cell Megalennium body (The M6 magazine is 2s2p).

Kev.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well I meant more likely to get moved. And no, its perfectly fine everybody post in the wrong forum at least once or twice when they first join. But just to keep things organized and get more replies the mods usually will move threads to the appropriate forum (i.e. Incandescent forum)

And Ive just recently decided to invest in an M6 also. I think it would be well worth your time (and money) to check out the rechargeable options for this light :thumbsup:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend the M6. It comes with two lamps. One is the MN20. 250 lumens and runs for about 1 hour on 6 CR123's. The other lamp is the MN21. 500+ lumens and runs for about 20 minutes off 6 CR123's. Although it is not recommended by Surefire, you can use the Surefire MN15 in the M6. Lumen output is in the high 100's for about 2.5 hours.

The M6 is very bright with the MN21 500 lumen lamp. If you want a light that you can use when you hear something go bump in the night, this is it. USA made and great Surefire warranty.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: Dargo.

I'm a big LED fan. That said, I have 2 incandescent lights: a SF A2, and an M6 (which was a gift from an extremely generous fellow CPF'er who shall remain nameless, but who I'll thank again and again).

If it's A LOT of light what you want, the M6 is a great light. My only complaint was that the runtime in its stock form was less than stellar (I'm spoiled by LED runtimes). However, enter AW with his rechargeable li-ion batteries (18650 size), mcdod with his 18650 battery holders, fivemega with his bi-pi bulb holder, and a WA1111 bulb, and I have an AWESOME incandescent, rechargeable, light!!

The M6 is my "WOW" light whenever somebody visits.

That said, the SF C3 or C4 would also be good alternatives.

So many lights... :D

Dargo

Newly Enlightened
Good golly! I'm used to 'talking shop' in technical terms about firearms, pocketknives, engines, welders and plasma cutters. I never thought I'd be humbled by 'mere' flashlights. :eek:

However, I'm clearly a fellow gadget nut and I am soaking in all this great info like a hungry sponge. I can clearly see that I'm going to need different types of lights for different applications. I'm pleased to read that the M6 should work out well for my intended use for it. I am very interested in hearing more about how I may be able to use different battery options if possible. Obviously buying 123 batteries by the case would have it's drawbacks.

What technology of a light would I want to carry on my tractor or ATV, Jet Ski etc., that would put out a decent amount of light but is better suited to taking the vibrations and bumps by being carried in those type of machines?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
One LED alternative to the M6 that I currently own is the Fenix TK40. It runs on 8 AA batteries. Since I own AA rechargeables already, it costs nothing to run this light. The TK40 uses a quad-die MC-E LED and has 4 output levels maxing out at over 600 lumens. Not only that but using 2700mah AA rechargeables, you can get 2 hours of run time @ 600+ lumens! Compare that to the 20 minutes you get with the M6.

Click here for comparison shots between the Surefire M6 and Fenix TK40.

I believe if you purchase a Fenix light from 4sevens.com you get a lifetime warranty through the dealer. 4sevens is a well known dealer on this forum.

There are also dealer discount codes for certain dealers for CPF members like yourself.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
What technology of a light would I want to carry on my tractor or ATV, Jet Ski etc., that would put out a decent amount of light but is better suited to taking the vibrations and bumps by being carried in those type of machines?
For those I would suggest a a mounted alternative. For my ATV I have converted it over to HID headlights. Now a Jet Ski im hoping you wouldnt ride at night? And for the tractor maybe a handheld HID that can run off of 12V (or 24V) DC?

HIDSnorks.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

The M6 is arguably the best liked light in this forum. I use mine with these LED drop-ins and it will surely leave you speechless.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232127

I only have the 5 R2 version and the 3 P7 version. The 3 MC-E LED drop-in for the MC-E can be had with a warm tint which is better for illuminating wild life while camping...

:welcome:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes the SF M6 is a phenominal light. I have used it in it's stock form. I did by a battery adapter to make it rechargeable for it's low output mn15 bulb. However regardless of the rapid drain with the high output lamp it is a serious light at a modest 500 lumens. Numbers don't mean anything. Fire one up in the dark and you will see what power it has. I have used the M6 for some of my outdoor night airsoft games. The intense light and heat truly disorients attacking opponents. Granted they were armed with foam weapons and were tasked to behave like zombies. 40 I them against my team of 8. The M6 literally made people turn away. Of course this is combined with being fired upon with full automatic plastic bbs.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the M6...I haven't gone away from using it "stock" (per-se), but my favorite bulb is the MN15. Can throw farther than the MN20, has about 220(+/-15) lumens tapering down to the 170's, for approx. 2.5 hours of runtime. There's a few threads on this in the incan forum with the member that did all the tests, and has the numbers posted.

Like others have stated, I'm glad I got the regular bezel and not the CB version.

As far as a "pocket light" to carry with you/stow in your ATV/etc., I'd say a C3 with a Malkoff M60 and a FM34 diffuser. I'm assuming the light would be used for looking for stuff at a distance, and the M60's throw is awesome. BTW, :welcome:.

ugrey

Enlightened
If you want this light for a "bump in the night light" DO NOT get rechargeable batteries. They will self drain over time! You will pick it up a month from now and the batteries may well be dead or very near so. I am constantly amazed at my fellow CPFers who reccomend rechargeable batteries for a home "bump in the night light". Guys, please read the many warnings in SureFires own catalogs. If you use a light all the time and keep it constantly charged up, great, but if not, use primary batteries.

I own 2 M6s and I keep fresh SureFire batteries in them both. I use the High Output 500 lumen bulb in them. I do not "play" with those lights. If I ever need them, it is an emergency and I want to be sure I have near 100% batteries in them.

Also, get a ZTS battery tester for the 3 volt batteries. A normal battery tester is for 1.5 volt batteries and will give false readings on the lithium 3 volt batteries these flashlights use.

Oh yeah, welcome. You will learn a lot here. It is a steep learning curve. Hang on to your wallet. I wish I had started with an M6. It would have saved me a lot of money moving up the lumens chain of SureFire flashlights one by one.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want this light for a "bump in the night light" DO NOT get rechargeable batteries. They will self drain over time! You will pick it up a month from now and the batteries may well be dead or very near so. I am constantly amazed at my fellow CPFers who reccomend rechargeable batteries for a home "bump in the night light".

Most of us use Li-ions in the M6 and i have never had any problem with the batteries draining...

Infact i prefer Li-ions in my bump in the night lights.

Are there any other chemistries used in the M6 that drains that i am not aware of ?

The M6 is amazing in stock form and INSANE in a LedZep Aspheric/McR19XR combo.
Look for his thread about the BIG DOG ;)