Week long kayaking trip. Flashlight and battery suggestions

gsxrac

Enlightened
Ok guys (and girls) towards the end of June me and 4 friends will be leaving for a week long trip to West Virginia to Kayak down New River and do some primitive camping. For those who dont know primitive camping and kayak camping in general means PACK LIGHT (no, not flashlight, light as in not much stuff) So now im forced to only pick a certain few flashlights to take with me for this trip. I will NOT be buying any new lights. Heres what I have to pick from:
-Ra Twisty 85-Tr (Definatley going)
-Ra Clicky Tactical (Probably going)
-Glo-Toob lithium Wh (Definatley going)
-Surefire C2, M30, 17670 (I REALLY want to take this but Ive only got 2 17670's)
-Surefire 6P's (Will probably bring one in case somebody else needs light)
-Surefire A2 Green
-Fenix P1D
-Solarforce L2M
-Malkoff MD2, M30WF, 18650 (Have plenty of 18650's)

Also I have to keep in mind whatever I bring I have to bring batteries for so im thinking I will try to stick to CR123 based lights but maybe no? I really dont know what to bring but this is the first overnight Kayaking ive ever done and the first camping trip ive ever been on where I didnt have my truck and could bring anything and everything! I figured we have many backpackers on CPF and they know what it means to pack lightly so I am grateful for any and all advice! Thanks!

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little light goes a long way in the bush. I don't think you need to bring more than the Twisty except maybe the P1D as a loaner. I know you said you are not buying any new lights but may I humbly suggest even picking up something like a Fenix E01 for a back up light. You'd be amazed how well it illuminates an area when there is no other light around. For $12.00, near negligible weight and long runtime you can't go wrong. Also since you are not buying anything new and people will suggest a headlamp the Fenix E01 is small enough to tuck under the brim of a hat for an improvised headlamp or at worst it is light enough for mouth carry.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
I hear you on a little going a long way! I layed in bed one night and couldnt sleep. I turned my Novatac on its .3lm (I think thats correct) setting and it almost hurt my eyes to point it at the white celing!

I thing the 85-Tr will be my go to light and I will probably run it at 12~ lumens most of the trip. I do want a good thrower though and the Clicky may handle that job well? Plus both run off one power source so no need to carry a bunch of different types of batteries. I may look into an E01 or a couple of em. I will deffinantly assure everyone that my lights are my lights and they need to purchase something halfway decent for themselves (Maybe a new multi mode mag? :sick2:)

I keep eying the Zebralight H30-Q5's I MAY end up having to buy one of those. Is it just a bare Emmiter up front or is there glass in there to waterproof it?

Ohh yea my Glo-Toob lithium will be going with me also :)

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
My vote is for RA Clicky Tactical + Zebralight H30 (assuming you buy the latter).

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've been researching camp lights myself. Even if I wasn't limited to your list, I would go with three:

-Ra Twisty 85-Tr
-Malkoff MD2, M30WF, two level MD2 ring
-Glo-Toob lithium Wh

Gene's new brass ring cuts your M30 down to ~20 lumens. Then you've got 3 lights, 2 cells, capability overlap, and gallons of runtime. Bring a 123 dummy cell and M30 can even run off the same cells.

And don't forget the lanyards, you don't want these playing with tthe rocks for the next 100 years!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You definetly should consider a Zebra, and since your packing CR123A the H30 makes sense. Don't leave home without it. So:
  • Twisty
  • Zebra
  • MD2
I would have taken the C2, but it is heavier, and you don't have an M60 that you could power off of CR123A. The MD2 is maybe not as tested, but smaller lighter, and if it fails you have the Twisty. Check what kinds of batteries your tavel mates are packin. Do you have the new 2-level switch for the MD2?

Have Fun!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If you are going to take your -Malkoff MD2,i would suggest that you use a M60 drop in.the M30W works great with one cell but when the cell is dead your dead it just turns off no warning at all and your left in the dark The M60 drop in gives you almost as much light for the same amount of time then two hours or so of very useful light.That gives you plenty of time to switch batteries

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
I recommend the Fenix E01, too. No worries about extra batteries (ridiculously long battery life). Sorry, I know you don't intend to buy any other lights, but this suits minimalist activities perfectly.
And if you hear banjo music, paddle faster!

gsxrac

Enlightened
I think I might end up buying the 2 level switch for my MD2 and I do have a couple dummy 123's. I have a couple Peli cases and I have to decide which one the lights GPS and batteries will be going in and that will also help me decide how many 18650's I can pack in addition to 12~ SF123's
I would love to have my C2 but it only has a single mode and that would murder a 17670. Hmm nvm. Im off to B/S/T so if anybody wants to trade me a M30LL or a M60LL for my M30W meet me there!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could pretty much skip a light altogether.

Sunset at the end of June on the New river will be at 8:51pm, sunrise at 6:06am, It will still be light until twilight ends around 10:00pm.
source: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

I just got back from a week of camping, with a couple hours of caving and a day of whitewater rafting thrown in and my most used light was the Zebralight headlamp which I used for about a 1/2hr to an hour of reading before passing out from exhaustion around 9:30 to 10:00. I used the H501 and EOS for the caving. The only light I replaced the battery in was the H501 (single AA) during the cave trip as I used max most of the time. I hardly ever used the HDS EDC I was carrying.

auxcoastie

Newly Enlightened
I know you will not be buying a new light but maybe a new pelican case like to 1110, to carry your spare batteries so they don't get wet. Good $12 investment

Muskett

Newly Enlightened
Threads like this make me want to gather my equipment and go camping! Definitely work a headlamp in there...

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys (and girls) towards the end of June me and 4 friends will be leaving for a week long trip to West Virginia to Kayak down New River and do some primitive camping. For those who dont know primitive camping and kayak camping in general means PACK LIGHT (no, not flashlight, light as in not much stuff) So now im forced to only pick a certain few flashlights to take with me for this trip. I will NOT be buying any new lights. Heres what I have to pick from:
-Ra Twisty 85-Tr (Definatley going)
-Ra Clicky Tactical (Probably going)
-Glo-Toob lithium Wh (Definatley going)
-Surefire C2, M30, 17670 (I REALLY want to take this but Ive only got 2 17670's)
-Surefire 6P's (Will probably bring one in case somebody else needs light)
-Surefire A2 Green
-Fenix P1D
-Solarforce L2M
-Malkoff MD2, M30WF, 18650 (Have plenty of 18650's)

Also I have to keep in mind whatever I bring I have to bring batteries for so im thinking I will try to stick to CR123 based lights but maybe no? I really dont know what to bring but this is the first overnight Kayaking ive ever done and the first camping trip ive ever been on where I didnt have my truck and could bring anything and everything! I figured we have many backpackers on CPF and they know what it means to pack lightly so I am grateful for any and all advice! Thanks!

I'm a kayaker and canoeist myself, based on your list of lights, I pick Ra Clicky, Glo-Toob or P1D if I'm on water when it's dark. Wear your light loosely with a buoyant nylon neck cord, you can find this in sea sports B&M. Get the fattest and most comfortable option, you wouldn't want to suffer from neck abrasion from all the action. You need to wear it loose for 2 reasons, to be able to direct your light in front, to the sides or even to the back, and also to quickly remove (if need be) in the event of a capsize. Or you could tape the light to your kayak or helmet if you're wearing one. I would recommend Zebralights, but I guess you wouldn't want to buy new lights. For camping, 6P or C2 should suffice as your back-up.

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Zebralight is a must on a camping trip. After you get one and use it, you'll know what we mean.:thumbsup: Have a great trip!

1996alnl

Enlightened
I would suggest the Malkoff,as you have plenty of 18650's and they have the most capacity.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Auxcoastie Im actually trying to decide which of my 5 or 6 Peli cases I really want to bring. Ive got one that will house my XD45, exta clip, Garmin 60Cx, and either my MD2 or C2 whichever I happen to decide on and that will be strapped to the back of my seat. And Ive got a smaller 1060 that will house the rest of my lighting and power needs.

And both my new Clicky and Twisty showed up in the mail today so theyve gotta go with me, I LOVE the red option! Only time will tell how much actual use it sees though.

Zeruel we dont plan on doing any actual night time kayaking the lights are more for the evening camping but I think Im gonna pack the twisty and Clicky in my life jacket zipper pockets along with the firesteel. I also have a floating neck cord somewhere but I REALLY doubt it will hold the weight of any of my lights. Accept the P1D maybe? I shall visit Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, and Green Top later this week to find some better ones :thumbsup: