Got some new LED torches

AusKipper

Enlightened
My Long awaited order (-1) of LED torches showed up today. Sadly the H501 is still missing somewhere, but i'm assured that it is coming.

Because the H501 has taken so long to get here, the dealer kindly threw in a free Fenix E1, and sent me the rest of my order.

So I recieved:

Fenix E1
Fenix TK11 R2
Fenix L0D
Fenis TK40

I already own a Fenix TK10 also.

Firstly, I was impressed by the L0D, seeing so much light coming out of such a small torch was amazing. I was also quite please with the ammount of light that came out of the little E1, though i didnt really like the blue tint.

Then I turned on the TK11, and it had a smaller spot than the TK10, but threw significantly further.

I think for indoor use the TK10 is better, for outdoor use the TK11 has better throw, so i'll use that one. EDC I think will still be the TK10, but i'm undecided.

I was disappointed that the TK11 didn't come with the gold ring for the back like the TK10, so for now i'm stuck with the "cigar style tactical grip" thing, that i really dont like, i would much rather have a smooth body.

I have emailed Fenix pleading them to send me a ring, so i guess i will see what they say.

Next up was the TK40, I threw some batteries I had laying around in it (while i waited for the NIMH's to charge (a 6 hour wait...)) and took it outside with the rest of my new torches, and was promptly immensly dissapointed. Even on Turbo my TK10 seemed to be out-shining it. After a bit of fiddling around I started to notice that while medium was brighter than low, both high and turbo seemed only about as bright as medium.

Because they where dodgy old alkalines i had put in it, the 6 hour wait began.

Once the batteries where charged, i popped them in the torch, and that made a world of difference!!

While now definitly going into all of the modes, its actually not quite as bright (as bright as it is..) as i was expecting, and although it is definitly putting out more lumins than my TK11, i actually think my TK11 might just be outhrowing it, but its really hard to tell, but even the fact that its close dissapointed me a bit.

I think the floodier beam of the TK40 is more usefull (though of course there is a size penalty..) for the real world, but sometimes you just want to light something up thats a really long way away.

Now if it had the smooth reflector like the TK11.....

Also, I would have liked Fenix to anodise the thread on the TK40, and put a bit more aluminium around the head to make it feel a bit more sturdy.

So short summary,

TK11: Very impressed with the throw

L0D: Was more impressed with this light than any other, really punches above its weight.

E1: was a freebie, for the money (if i had paid for it), certainly not bad, much brighter than I was expecting it would be.

TK40: Initially dissapointed, once i got some decent batteries in there... exactly in the middle, not dissapointed, not really impressed, just sort of.. a little bit less throw than i was hoping for but it has a bigger hotspot than i was expecting.... Its a good torch, no doubt about it, but I would have expected for 2x the price it would noticibly outhrow the TK11.

Maybe the L0D and TK11 were just too good and I was overimpressed with them ;) I should got them AFTER i already had the TK40, so i could be impressed 3 times, instead of just twice.

Regards,
Kipper

AusKipper

Enlightened
Update:

I recieved a reply from Fenix, they declined to send me a ring :(

They did let me know that I could remove the grip ring and it wont affect the operation (which i already knew) so i guess i'll just do that and cover the threads with gaffa tape or something...

They are right, it wont affect the operation, but I would have preferred to have protective ring there (without having to buy one..)

In the same email I requested they make a new TK40 with a smooth reflector for increased throw in a year or so once they had a new LED to boot, and told them I would buy it if they did, and I was advised she sent my suggestion to the research department, so i guess we will wait and see on that one.

Now to buy an LD01 and a 10440 battery and charger and see what all the fuss is about I think.. and a TK20 and LD10....

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice bunch of lights there, Kipper. So there are still some E1's floating around? I carried one for "house use" a few years back. Seems like it was one of the earliest "higher power" regulated AAA's. You can improve the ringiness of the beam by painting with a Sharpie the little cylindrical extension on the bottom of the reflector.

Enjoy those Fenii.

Geoff

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now to buy an LD01 and a 10440 battery and charger and see what all the fuss is about I think

+1 on that, i ran my LD01 on AAA primaries and NIMHs but when i put in a 10440, it blew my mind!! So much light!!!! (ok, i am technically challenged else i would measure the difference in output and actually be able to quantify the difference)

Thing is, on high with a 10440, you dont get much runtime at all, if i am not wrong, its about 10 minutes till it drops to 50% which is a noticeable difference.

I ordered a set of 2x10440s off DX and using my points, redeemed another set of 2 x 10440s so now i have one in the light, 3 spares and a pack of 4xAAA primaries for when i travel. Get spare 10440s, you dont want to be showing off your light and it dims and gets comments like "is that it? you paid SGD$65 for THAT?!?!? You must have been cheated, its not bright at all." :D

AusKipper

Enlightened
Thing is, on high with a 10440, you dont get much runtime at all

Oh, I dont mind, its just for showing off lots of light in a small package :)

Of course if there was a power outage or something and I was actually using it I would put it back on normal NIMH's and use it on turbo only sparingly ;)

Flying Turtle: I guess, I got it as a freebie throw in for my order being delayed, so it maybe something he just had laying around that he cant sell anymore...

AusKipper

Enlightened
*Update 2*

Just ordered a stainless steel Fenix LD01, yellow gripped Fenix TK20 and a Fenix E20.

And that is IT!!! i will buy NO MORE TORCHES or batteries or chargers or any other light related product for a long time.... Unless Fenix releases the updated TK40 with the smooth reflector i asked for... or untill I pay off my house..

tygger

Enlightened
Very nice! A little suggestion for the TK20. The yellow grip slips a bit and can be annoying. I applied some clear silicone underneath and it doesn't slip at all. Enjoy your lights.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Very nice! A little suggestion for the TK20. The yellow grip slips a bit and can be annoying. I applied some clear silicone underneath and it doesn't slip at all. Enjoy your lights.

Thanks for the tip, i'll see just how annoying it is once i get it :)

It probably wont matter that much, because it will probably be sitting in turbo the whole time anyhow.

*Update 3*
I just ordered some 10440's and a charger for those... but that is definitely it now, no more spending money (besides, i said in my first update that I was going to get the 10440's and obviously i need to charge them, so they dont count as breaking my earlier promise to myself anyway...)

dano101

Enlightened
Aus - check out 4sevens.com for the TK11 ring you were looking for. Unless im way off on this. The Tk10 comes with the spare ring, but the Tk11 is a $4 item from 4sevens. Surprised Fenix didnt mention that small fact to you. But its 2am now that im posting and i could be out to lunch on the ring (but i dont think i am). And sorry mods if this post is seeming to promote an individual company etc... just the only place i know to readily get the ring. im not going to weblink to the product b/c at 2am ill probably mess it up.

Cheers,

Daniel

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Update 2*

Just ordered a stainless steel Fenix LD01, yellow gripped Fenix TK20 and a Fenix E20.

And that is IT!!! i will buy NO MORE TORCHES or batteries or chargers or any other light related product for a long time.... Unless Fenix releases the updated TK40 with the smooth reflector i asked for... or untill I pay off my house..

So...how soon will the house be paid off? :D

AusKipper

Enlightened
So...how soon will the house be paid off? :D

3 years :( .....

** Update 4 **

Took the TK40 and TK11 for a walk yesterday. I think I just had to wait for the TK40 to grow on me..

I have also had more time to try and figure out what one throws further now, and its definitely the TK40 when there are no street signs around. The problem is, because the hotspot is so wide, its hard to shine it at something far away without having the spill reflecting a fair chunk of light straight back at you off a near by street sign!! whereas you can put the TK11 straight through the gaps...

On my walk, I was using it on low (which actually does give out a decent amount of light just for walking along a path) and sometimes I just wanted to light up something a bit further away, and it is a bit of a pain in the neck to have to go up through all the modes and whatnot. It would be good if there was a way to go straight to turbo (maybe a momentary button on the front, yes, i know its another thing they have to waterproof etc etc) or maybe even a triple click or something, then triple click to go back to what you where on before.

I was using it on turbo for a fair bit on the way back, and it was interesting to be using a torch that all oncoming cars dip their lights for (i didnt shine it straight at them of course, but even shining it straight down the footpath oncoming cars where changing down to low beam). One car going in the same direction as me slowed right down to about walking pace when they were along side me, then took off again (probably wondering WTF that thing i was holding is...)

I'm going to show off my TK40 to a friend tonight (he wanted to see how bright it is) my plan is to show it to him on low mode, and see if I can convince him that its pretty good, lighting up trees 20m away etc etc and then go "oh, yeah, thats just low mode.. this is turbo.." and see what happens. Could be interesting.

TK11 update:
I pulled the grip ring off last night, and wrapped some gaffa tape around the threads. Looks a bit tacky but it will protect the threads, and it was a cold night last night, and it made it nice and warm to hold :) . Thinking I might put a strip around my TK40 now.

nden

Newly Enlightened
Wow, AusKipper, all Fenix huh?

My first torch is the TK11 R2 with AW P18650 batteries. I'm loving it. I'm ordering the Nitecore EX10 and Fenix P3D. Can't wait for them to arrive.

BTW, does your TK11 has little "gap space" between the tactical grip ring and the tail cap? If yes, I'll show you how to fix it HERE (hhehe.. my blog)

AusKipper

Enlightened
Wow, AusKipper, all Fenix huh?
BTW, does your TK11 has little "gap space" between the tactical grip ring and the tail cap? If yes, I'll show you how to fix it HERE (hhehe.. my blog)

Nope, not all Fenix, I have some no-name junk (no-name junk also incudes Dorcy, Duracell and Eveready) I had before i got my first decent light (the TK10) and a Zebralight H501, that I still dont have in my hand, but should have tomorrow.

I also got my sister a Nuwai 5w for christmas that is decent (that was the first decent ish torch I ever brought, and i gave it away lol...), though rechargable cells in it are kaput now (its been about 3 years though..)

And yeah, but there is a big gap there now covered in sticky tape, i dont think i can sand all that off :p (read above..)

AusKipper

Enlightened

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 years :( .....

** Update 4 **

Took the TK40 and TK11 for a walk yesterday. I think I just had to wait for the TK40 to grow on me..

I have also had more time to try and figure out what one throws further now, and its definitely the TK40 when there are no street signs around. The problem is, because the hotspot is so wide, its hard to shine it at something far away without having the spill reflecting a fair chunk of light straight back at you off a near by street sign!! whereas you can put the TK11 straight through the gaps...

I don't know where people got the idea that the TK40 was a mega thrower. The TK40 is all about high lumen output with a OP reflector for a smooth beam. The TK11 is all about throw with a tight focused beam with a 1/3rd the lumen output of the TK40. Whilst the TK40 provides an excellent general purpose beam, the TK11 will only provide you with a ringy but highly focused beam - not what you would call a general purpose style output - that's why the TK10 is so popular.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Update 2*

Just ordered a stainless steel Fenix LD01

I can't imagine anyone not being amazed at the output from the L0D/LD01 on 10440... I'm still astounded by mine. In my ceiling bounce tests, the EV output of the LD01 on 10440 is on par with 6P size flashlights burning R2 lamps. Amazing. And it literally disappears un-noticed in my front jeans pocket. I run a 10440 in it all the time as my EDC because such a light is only used for short bursts, and mostly on medium or low and I'm never away from home long enough to worry about runtime. (Also have a few spare lights in the car.) If I really need to use a flashlight for any noteworthy endeavor or heading out for an evening walk or whatever, I just grab one or two heftier lights with more battery power and keep the LD01 in the pocket. That's the wonderful thing about having so many lights... you can use them each for more specialized applications and really have the best of all worlds.

You're going to love that LD01! :twothumbs

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love my LD01!!! :D

i have a 10440 in it and 3 spare cells AND an energizer AAA as a backup. That, along with my Jet I Pro IBS v2.0 is my usual EDC for work. On weekends, it's the LD01 and my Jet III Pro ST, no spare cells unless im carrying a bag

AusKipper

Enlightened
**Update 5**

Just had the most interestig convo with a female friend of mine...

Her:
lol how many torches do u have allll together
Her:
i have lost count
Me
yeah, i dont know
Her
lol see REDUNDANCY!
Me
TK10, TK11, Mini Mag, TK20, E20, LD01, L0D, E1, TK40, Zebralight H501, Gerber Tracer, Winchester headlight
Me
thats 12
Her
WAY TOO MANY!
Me
i have an old winchester big one too i got when i was really young, but i flattened a couple of sets of batteries and couldnt be bothered paying for anymore
Her
lol thats 13
Me
plus i have given a few away lol
Her
u shud get one more just so u dont get stuck on the unlucky number

I was surprised at her suggestion to get one more, and not get rid of a couple lol .... even she is encouraging me!!

Anyway, the main point of the update, got my Fenix TK20, Zebralight H501, Fenix LD01, Fenix E20.

The Fenix TK20 must be the most overly built of all the TK series, the battery tube is SOOO thick, it feels soo good to hold, and isnt half as ugly as it looks in the pictures. I also really like the LED tint.. i think it could end up my favorite torch.

Surprisingly its a lot closer in brightness to my TK10/11 than i was expecting. I can tell both my TK10 and TK11 are brighter, but its not by as big a margin as I thought it may be.

Also my TK20 grip is quite firmly on, doesnt slip about at all.

Zebralight H501 feels thin and lightweight compared to the Fenix's (most of anyway) however, the beam it puts out... while not throwing very far, is perfectly uniform and will be absolutly perfect for camping, using around the house at night (inside) or if there is a bit of a power outage. Really not good at lighting anything at any distance, even on high, but its not designed for that...

The Zebralight + TK20 would make the perfect 2 torch camping combo i think, all AA so you only need to bring 1 type of battery, 1 for throw, 1 for hands free flood.

LD01 is exactly as i expected it, it will be going on my keychain. The stainless steel shouldnt show the wear too much, so all will be fine and dandy there. Just waiting for the 10440's for that one...

E20, wasnt really expecting it to be as bright as it was. On full focus has a good artifact free beam, can be transition a bit of the way to flood before artifacts begin to form, but its not a big issue.

Anyway, i was recommending the TK20 as the torch to get to non-flashos even before I had one, and now that i do... I will definitly be continuing that recomendation.

I think Fenix needs to continue making stainless steel keychain lights though, not just as special editions, but as standard editions. No ammount of anno will survive long on the average keychain.

Now that I have anything, i think this is the last update.

If anything important comes to mind i'll let you all know.

Any questions? ;) (no, no beamshots, dont have a camera :( )