looking for a "quadcore"

orionlion82

Enlightened
saw the new fenix 40, but its not for me.

heres what i like about the fenix 40:

output on turbo
throw
AA batteries

heres what i dont like:

its got too much stuff i *dont need* to justify the price.
no way. thats too much money down the drain.

i can do without the disco ball and the GPS and the shark repellent.
battery holder? never. never ever ever.

a purse strap? seriously?

heres what i am actually looking for:

a light with with similar output 600-700
runs on AA batteries
no battery holder
quad or equivalent LED
and MOST IMPORTANTLY, a two position switch that does ON ...and for variety, OFF.
dramatically lower price due to lack of features.
and good throw, if thats not asking too much.

i really dont have time to do the homework on this, but i would much appreciate it to know if people who follow things more closely than i do would just shout out anything that pops into their head...

thanks.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I belive the tk40 is the first and only AA mc-e light availible so far. Your options are none.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
i really dont have time to do the homework on this, but i would much appreciate it to know if people who follow things more closely than i do would just shout out anything that pops into their head...

thanks.

So you basically are too lazy to search yourself, and want us to do all the work?

Even if such a light existed, no way in hell I'd tell you about it now after that attitude...

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can do without the disco ball and the GPS and the shark repellent.
battery holder? never. never ever ever.

a purse strap? seriously?

I didn't realise it came with disco ball, GPS and shark repellent. Those are real deal-breakers for me.

If by 'purse strap' you mean lanyard, I can see how that would boost the price a lot. As for the battery carrier, who needs somewhere to put the 8 batteries? Ridiculous isn't it? :shrug:

*Edit* I remembered what you meant by 'purse strap', the shoulder strap thing right? In all seriousness, it's probably the best low-cost solution to carrying it and having it ready to use. I wouldn't want a light that sized hanging around my neck, clipped to a pocket or in my hand all the time.

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the Flashlight Fairy would be kind enough to leave under your pillow something with such specific specifications...just write all this down a note and leave it under your pillow next time you go to sleep. :twothumbs

Back to reality... The TK40 is your ONLY choice for an AA based quad-die LED flashlight. I honestly don't see the fuss with battery holders as even the most highly regarded custom flashlights here use battery holders. One need only look up Fivemega's creations to see that. You could go for a custom Mag with a P7/MC-E in it, but you're still going to have to use adapters for AAs (in which Fivemega makes top notch holders for that use), but it won't be cheap either.

Illum

Flashaholic
Hostility aside gentlemen...:shrug:

Due to the appetite of MC-Es and P7s alike.. alkaline are not suited to provide the current they prefer to consume. I'm very surprised that fenix actually got one to work out.

Marduke, what's the forum for if not helping others to figure out what they want? Sure... hes debating on yet another beaten to death topic but still, be patient with some people. I don't think his intention was to cruise in for a bruising :kiss:

orionlion82, I'm inclined to believe that you've tossed in alot of stuff [disco ball? 0_o] to lighten up the mood, not to cause any misunderstanding. Usually when a peer first come in, we cut them slack because they don't know better. But if you've been here long enough [perhaps judging by your post count] its usually assumed that you know how to use google search to look for existing threads for your interest. :thinking:

Since theres only a handful of MC-E lights out there, user Ryanrpm made a chart of them here.
Next time...give that a try before posting a thread will ya? :grin2:

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened
Don't knock the shoulder strap of the TK40 man, i'm trying to fashion one of my own from 550 paracord for my custom Mag and my M2C4.

As for your 'demands' to the light industry at large, you're going to have to define good throw. Quad-dies by their nature aren't made for throw as they are really far from the ideal point light source. For comparison, my MC-E Mag has a hotspot approximately the same size as my Nitecore D20 but a spill 4x the area. This is even though the Mag has a much larger reflector.

Best i can think of for a no frills MC-E / P7 that can be AA powered is a direct driven Mag mod with no circuitry in between, something like this by forum member spc. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232310
There is however, no running away from the battery holder. It will end up being slightly cheaper than the TK40 even if you include the battery holder's cost in the price, but not significantly so. If you want to run exclusively on alkaline AAs, then it gets much more complicated. I can confirm that 3 AA eneloops direct driving an MC-E will give you a hell of a light.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Make the leap to using 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries and you'll have lots of choices.

Illum

Flashaholic
Make the leap to using 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries and you'll have lots of choices.

that remains a huge leap from alkaline though...
sometimes you just have to accept the fact that alkalines has its limit and you should just be happy with what single die CREEs give already. If you need a reset for your perspective, I'll let you borrow my mag solitaire AAA...that should cure any new desires for lights for awhile:eek:

After playing with MCEs for so long I bought myself a 1AA XR-C light...40 lumens never looked better

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There aren't anymore AA powered quad die LED lights. So either get the Tk40, or change your battery options.

orionlion82

Enlightened
okay, i think i understand that i need to roll my own.

i appreciate the opinions of those well informed enough to say absolutely nothing.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know you'd have to build it. If you must have aa batteries try NiMH, I just don't see an mc-e or p7 build being reasonable for most people while retaining the use of alkaline batteries. There's just too many limitations imposed by them.

MWClint

Enlightened
actually, there is 1 other light.

Peak First Responder FR1000A adjustable 1000 lumen P7 light has an optional
3xAA body that runs at half the brightness of the standard 2x18650 body.
it'll cost ya twice the tk40..
i have one and it's a beast. havent ordered the 3xAA body yet...but it's on my list of things to get. i have the 1x18650 and the 2x18650 bodies.
3xaa should be similar to the 1x18650 in brightness.

or you could go with a simple build of 3 parts.

buy a solarforce or surefire 6p
in the marketplace Nite sells 3xAA 6p bodies.
get a nailbender or malkoff dropin.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st of all, I think AAs for Quad-led is simply wrong.

2nd: You are totally wrong on what makes the price!

another driver with on/off would not lead to a dramatic decrease in price (if any at all), because its the other things - machining, materials, finish, quality control, ... - that make the price.
And it is absolutely reasonable.

Switch to 2*18650 as battery, which is much better + smaller, and to the "goods" offered from DX.
Thats the price You might think of, thats the quality of light You get for that price.