Buffy Vampire Slayer Movie

callmaster

Enlightened
"Having Whedon involved has yet to be decided..."

LOL, train wreck is right. The first "Buffy" movie sucked big time. Anything that doesn't follow the series, etc isn't going to be worth much. And I'm guessing Whedon isn't going to want any part in this...

Jay T

Enlightened
No, no. please no. A rebirth from those responsible for the movie? Please let the earth be smashed by an asteroid before this happens.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry...Somebody mentions 'Buffy' and all I think about is how Josh needs to bring back Firefly.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Having Whedon involved has yet to be decided..."

LOL, train wreck is right. The first "Buffy" movie sucked big time. Anything that doesn't follow the series, etc isn't going to be worth much. And I'm guessing Whedon isn't going to want any part in this...

I actually like the first Buffy movie! I'll probably watch a new Buffy, though I don't expect it to be any where as good as the TV series, of which I've seen every episode at least once (and sometimes two or three times.)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys,

For starters, it's not "Josh" Whedon. It's Joss. Two s's after the j and the o.

And for finishers, a BTVS without Joss is no BTVS at all. That first movie wasn't horrible, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Buffy series (or to Firefly!). A "reboot" a la "Star Trek"?

Whatever . . .

Why? I mean, really. Why?

I have to agree with Lux on this one: WEIRD.

On a much more pleasing and interesting BUFFY note, has anyone else been enjoying the Buffy Season 8 comic books? I think they're quite good. And Fray was also pretty good.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
... a BTVS without Joss is no BTVS at all.

Why? I mean, really. Why?

:whistle:

moneyv.jpg

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Was just talking with my wife and I believe that she has nailed the "why?" question I asked.

They're trying to cash in on the vampire craze started by Twilight. I don't know if people have noticed, but every book store seems to have a "If you liked Twilight . . ." section with books by L.J. Smith (who's fantastic, BTW), Rachel Meade, PC Cast, etc.

Twilight is like crazy popular, especially with middle aged women (strangely--not just teens/tweens). They read and re-read the Twilight books, and watch the movie continuously, like dozens of times. And all of the "If you liked Twilight" books are doing very well, too. In fact, L.J. Smith's "The Vampire Diaries" (which is what Twilight wishes it could be) is going to be made into a television series this fall. She must be so psyched about that! She was never all that popular, but had a devoted following in the 90's or thereabouts, but now all of a sudden there is a resurgence of interest in her work. Personally, I quite like her Nightworld books, and the Secret Circle books, as well as the Vampire Diaries. Better than freaking Twilight. God, I wish Bella would frigging realize that there is such a thing as life without Edward. She turns into such a pathetic character by the 2nd book. Boo-freaking-hoo.

Twilight is really a series of romance novels disguised as vampire books. Of course, you might say the same about the LJ Smith books. :) Nothing wrong with Romance, of course. Just works a bit better if the female lead isn't pathetic. For me, anyway.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nothing wrong with Romance, of course. Just works a bit better if the female lead isn't pathetic. For me, anyway.

LOL

You might enjoy my vampire novel. The female lead is sweet, cute, carries a teddy bear... and commits extreme acts of violence, due to her horrific insanity. But still likes being hugged.

Based on a real-life person. :)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds appealing, Monocrom!

Just as long as I don't have to date her. Dated a mildly psychotic girl in college once. That was way more than enough for me.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
As to the why: The people behind the reboot are the original movie's director, Fran Rubel Kuzui, and her husband, Kaz. By lucky strike, they ended up with the rights to Buffy, so much so that they were credited as Executive Producers on every episode of the TV series "Buffy" and its spin-off "Angel", beside having never worked on each in any position.

If you check their IMDb entry, there's not much there beside that. Now that the shows have ended and the DVD sales are going down, their residual checks are going down as well. They need to make money, and have not much beside "Buffy". Kinda sad, actually.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
As to the why: The people behind the reboot are the original movie's director, Fran Rubel Kuzui, and her husband, Kaz. By lucky strike, they ended up with the rights to Buffy, so much so that they were credited as Executive Producers on every episode of the TV series "Buffy" and its spin-off "Angel", beside having never worked on each in any position.

If you check their IMDb entry, there's not much there beside that. Now that the shows have ended and the DVD sales are going down, their residual checks are going down as well. They need to make money, and have not much beside "Buffy". Kinda sad, actually.

Seems like maybe they could make more money off that property elsehow: they should set up an account to receive donations, and as long as they reach their monthly goals, they won't make another Buffy movie.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Seems like maybe they could make more money off that property elsehow: they should set up an account to receive donations, and as long as they reach their monthly goals, they won't make another Buffy movie.

Reminds me of that time, several years ago, when Mariah Carey was paid by her record label not to sing; until their contractual obligations to her were up.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact, L.J. Smith's "The Vampire Diaries" (which is what Twilight wishes it could be) is going to be made into a television series this fall.

Sounds promising. I'm a sucker for vampires. True Blood on HBO is the only current one that looks like it might have some legs. The last two, Bloodlines and Moonlight, both of which I watched, didn't make it past the first season. Hopefully, this one will be good enough to make a solid run.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I actually quite liked Moonlight, and I was sorry it wasn't renewed.

It was a good show. Bit ironic that "Beth" played a vampire in Underworld. Moonlight reminded me of Forever Knight. (Still waiting for the Forever Knight movie).

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't notice Beth as being from Underworld. I'm often slow that way. I really liked Moonlight and Bloodlines. Bloodlines got cut before the season ended, but finished out the season in Canada, although, it seems that the finale was available online only. Fortunately, we're in the age of the internet and Bittorrent, so I was able to get a hold of all the remaining episodes. The same thing happened with Daybreak (not vamps), they finished it out online. Loved that one, too. Fortunately, they showed a bit of respect for the viewers and actually wrapped it up for the most part, leaving me feeling more or less satisfied with the whole thing.