New Lightwave torches

lightnix

Enlightened
I'm probably way behind the times as usual, but I just had an e-mail from Nielsen Labs about the new Lightwave Tec 2000 and Tec 3000 torches (sorry, flashlights)

Click here for the Lightwave Tec 2000
Click here for the Lightwave Tec 3000

Apart from the, erm... "striking" ergonomic design and the humungous 25 days of continuous light from the Tec 3000, I can't actually detect much differencebetween these and the older versions.

I like the "old" 3000 and 4000 a lot, but can't help but feel that this is a redesign for the sake of it. What do you all think ? Anyone have any experience of these yet ?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mr_Sesmesesles said:
Apart from the, erm... "striking" ergonomic design and the humungous 25 days of continuous light from the Tec 3000, I can't actually detect much differencebetween these and the older versions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw those new designs on Lightwave's site a couple of days ago. Yes, I think that the changes are purely cosmetic--for the uglier. I received my Lightwave 3000 yesterday, and the old design is fine with me.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Yep, I'm a big fan of Lightwave, but I have to agree. No regulation or enhanced functions (an assessment based on the fact that none is promoted) No listed increase in durability, in fact they actually look like they might be less durable. They're listed as "water resistant" instead of "waterproof" like the 4000 (But then so is it's smaller twin the 3000 which I'd lay money is as watertight as a frog's behind) As for the Ergonomic design, I like round. The new design may feel good if you grip it one way, but will increase the likelihood of dropping it if in a rush you grab it another way. I can see that rolling might have been an issue in the earlier models, but that can be remedied without losing the inherent utilitarian nature of a round flashlight (see Surefires)

And my pet issue, they still refused to add even a cheap reflector, thereby wasting the small but significant peripheral light that spills out the side of each LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ARC, Streamlight, Princton Tec and others have figured this out, but Lightwave who's been in the LED flashlight game from the beginning refuses to budge.

They're probably fine lights by themselves, but other than rolling protection, they don't appear to offer anything beyond dubious cosmetic improvement over the 4000 and 3000 which came out years ago.

SidewindR

Newly Enlightened
:
HI
:
:
:
:

LIghtWave 2000 was my first LED Light
:/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif:
i still have it somewhere but i never tried the 3000 and
:

SidewindR

Newly Enlightened
:
hi just had to say those
:
ARE UGLY LIGHTS!!
what are they thinking??
but they must be really good for the price

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Hmm....I don't know what to make of this new design. Very odd looking indeed, but I may have to check one out. Other than the cosmetic change there does not appear to be any significant difference from the original Lightwaves. If that's the case, then why bother? In my opinion, there was nothing wrong with the original models other than no regulation. Oh well. By the way, has anyone confirmed if the bodies are aluminum or merely a metallic colored plastic?

Pic is from longlight.com
lw_tec_2000.jpg

Lara

Newly Enlightened
I agree, these are ugly lights. Maybe the bump is for preventing the lights from rolling.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has got to be the worst designed body for a flashlight I've seen... Looks like a half-bent, broken and dulled out pick-axe... I'd love to hear the reasoning behind the concept of a freakin' "teardrop" design on the head...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Somewhere around here, I have a Lightwave 2000, 2100, 3000, and 4000.

The "teardrop" head on the Tec 2000 looks asinine and wasteful. I guess too many LW owners bitched that their flashlights were rolling away from them when dropped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Maybe they're marketing these new flashlights more for women, giving the "natural, douchelike shape" to the flashlight head to add to the light's appeal to potential female buyers & users. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Or, maybe the new shape is designed to grow on you, so you'll like the flashlight more and more as you use it, so that before long, it's the only one you reach for even if there are other flashlights closer to your position.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">Them are FUGLY!!!</font>

Agreed.

I wonder if I should add a new rating category to Torch Reviews Site reviews? Ugliness - rating out of 10. That one would get full marks in that aspect!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif